After Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Divorce

I am posting this thread mostly for cowgal (it would have been a pm) but realise there are so many that are dealing with divorce and AL or drug abuse. A little over a year ago I had no idea how I was going to be able to financially, emotionally, physically or happily live my life. I was in the process of buying my house from my Ex and learning how to live on one income in a house that we struggled to keep with two of us. All I knew was that there was no explaination as to why we could not comfortably afford this small house except the drugs and alcohol the ex was using. And at some point I was drinking too which did not help. What I can say is that he used a debit card like there was a never ending stream of money on the other side and I juggled to try to pay it all. No wonder I was stressed and depressed. I drove a 10 year old car and never bought myself anything and still felt like I was drowning.
    This week I bought myself (OK leased and it is a Toyota) my very first ever new car. I have never driven a new car in my life. I payed by older sons tuition at college, helped him with rent, payed his cell phone and did this in the same house on one salary.I had to buy him out so I owe more on the house than I did when we were married. I do not share my personal info for any reason but to let people like Cowgal know that things get better. And it can happen quickly. Things improve financially, emotionally, physically and in spirit. Oh did I mention at first me and the boys were doing the lawn and now I have a lawn guy. I am not saying any of this is easy. I am saying I am working harder for the things I want. I am focusing on today and not as concerned about what people think. I would like it to be easier but I am really doing what I need to to help me. I will need to sell this house at some point but I am ready to do that and move on.
    I have not been around at MWO as much because I have had alot going on in my life but I honestly want to send the message that while life is not easy it is better and with work it will get better everyday. Divorce does not need to be the end but you have to decide to not let it. Focus on your future and look ahead. Hope this helps Cowgal and anyone else who is struggling through divorce. I was that person 1 year ago.
    Today I am so happy that I went through it all and thankful for my friends at MWO especially the Darrens ( you know who you are). My freinds here made all the difference and they can for all of you too.

After Divorce

WOW! Good on you time2change. That is a lot of "change" in your life.
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

After Divorce

Kudos, Time!!!! Think about what it would have been like BEFORE!!! My hat's off to you, love!!!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

After Divorce

Thanks. I put off the divorce for years because of fear and insecurity. I am not saying divorce is for everyone, but once you are sure you can change your life for the better. Fear will be there but in the end you may find that you are able to build your confidence. They early days are hard so lean on freinds especially at MWO who have been there.

Comment

After Divorce

AMEN!
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

After Divorce

Overcoming fear is such a huge part of the recovery process. Kudos to you T2C and thank you for sharing this. It's inspiring!!! All the best to you as you continue to change your life for the sober and the better!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

After Divorce

Time....that's the ticket ! Ha! Glad your doing fine ! IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

After Divorce

Yeah I'm in the same boat.. I got the house in the divorce or should I say the MORTGAGE. Anyway, I struggled to even understand how I could pay her alimony AND make the payment on this place AND give up some money to furloughs, pay for braces and soccer. A year later and I'm doing much, much better. You learn to do more with less. I have two of cars, one is 9 and the other is 13 years old. They are CLEAN and I take pride in them, and NO PAYMENTS. At the end of the day all that I care about is having a roof over my head and eating with my kids. If that means we cook dinner instead of going out to eat so be it, we'll have fun making dinner together. All the material stuff is BS you can do without. Hey, the money I save on booze, medical bills and lawyer bills that I had when I was a wino is starting to pile up a little!

Comment

After Divorce

Thanks Time!!!!!

Just saw this now, :thanks: :thanks: I appreciate your care, and love you so much for your concern, I know it will get better!!! I am meeting w/ my lawyer Thurs am, so we will see where I stand and I will have more hope!!!

Heading out to work, but will check in later tonight while things are quiet. I love you dearly & appreciate all your support!!

MA
                  :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

After Divorce

I want to send out positive vibrations to cowgal. I too like time2change went through a divorce(well we never were officially married) after 22 years and two children. I was in a panic.Now though I am tired....my life is my own. I too struggled with al during the last year going af and then totally binging. I am now af and life is clear. I am happy. My kids are happy. There is light at the other end. I promise. rudemama

Comment

After Divorce

I am so glad to hear things are going good for you Time!!! It took a lot to open up to everyone and I am sure your words of encouragement have helped many here!! You are AWESOME!!! xoxo

Comment

Working...
                      X