• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something To Think About

Powerful:

I was passed this on by a friend.

. . . Something To Think About. .. .

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later:

The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes:

A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes:

The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour:

He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition..

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

peace to all,
    E Attached files [img]/converted_files/39790=5556-attachment.jpg[/img]
    :notes:
    My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves me altogether.

"When enough is enough, that's when you know your half way there"-Tim Mcllrath

Something To Think About

Wow! Eva....this is very interesting. It really makes me stop and think! Thank you for sharing this.

xxx Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Something To Think About

Thank you for sharing......and reminding us how much we might miss.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Something To Think About

Wow again Eva!
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Something To Think About

“What we see depends mainly on what we look for.”
          John Lubbock

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Something To Think About

I've read that before. Makes you REALLY understand the saying "Stop and smell the roses."
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Something To Think About

makes me sad...
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Something To Think About

On MB, concentrate on the good things yet to come!
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Something To Think About

Cool post!

As an admirer of Joshua Bell's violin prowess, I enjoyed hearing this anecdote very much. Also, it fails to surprise me.

First off, we need to be careful about the conclusions we draw from this so-called "social experiment". To be fair, the majority of people do not listen to classical music, and as such are unlikely to recognize a violinist of Bell's stature. Simply put, for such people all classical music "sounds the same", as many of my friends are fond of proclaiming.

However, in a busy metro station it is highly unlikely that all passersby are equipped with a "tin ear", so it is quite humorous that no one would recognize Bell's obvious talent, whether or not they recognized the man himself. These are likely the same people who feel culturally superior to others because they attend symphonic or operatic performances, despite the fact that they know nothing about the music, nor appreciate its aesthetic brilliance.

Comment

Working...
                  X