Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to Self?

Hey Dancing

As a surfer, I've been caught in numerous rips and have been pretty scared, a couple of times I wondered if I was going to make it back to shore.

Now I know to just paddle casually across them and not against them to get free.

Sometimes if they are strong, you need to ride them out for quite a while before you can paddle back to shore..

The one thing you DO need to do is stay calm and understand what is going on..

I'm sure I don't have to draw the parallels between surfing and addiction/Depression..

Surfing has taught me a lot

Good luck You xxx
    What you perceive is what you believe, so make sure you look at things the right way....

Comment

Note to Self?

Wavey,

How are you feeling today?

Ok, Surf Dude,

Completely off AL here. Can you tell us what a rip looks like?

I was on the Sunshine coast last weekend and the life guards were desperately trying to keep everyone between the flags as there was a "big rip" on the south side.

I thought rips looked calm but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The radio ads here say to swim parallel to the beach...is this right?

Comment

Note to Self?

Yep, swim parallel to the beach when caught in a rip and you will be out of it in no time!

Staying calm is the most important part..Last time I was caught in a rip that was really strong, I layed on my back and watched the sunlight on the cliffs above until the rip had spewed me out about 200 meters offshore and I could begin my way back to shore...

Where the waves AREN'T coming in, there is a rip.. It can look calm, often you will see sand or seaweed stirred up in it or it can look choppy but there are NEVER waves coming in on a rip..
        What you perceive is what you believe, so make sure you look at things the right way....

Comment

Note to Self?

If you are swimming, stay in the white water!

I still can't believe they don't teach this in schools..

Almost no one except surfers knows how to spot a rip!

We use then to get out past the waves, to catch one in...But we are on a nice floaty board!

I am feeling much better Spam

Comment

Note to Self?

Cheers Wavey,

I will teach my 10 year old son about this.

I was a swim instructor in the UK but don't feel I have the experience to do it here. My best age group is 3 months to 5 years and my lessons were based on safety but there's a bigger picture in Australia.

Luckily, my son doesn't panic in the water. We were holding hands at the waters edge (on holiday) once when we both got swept up and dumped. He was about 5 at the time and, as I was tumbling, I thought I had lost him as his hand was ripped out of mine. By the time I stood up and cleared by eyes, he was already on the beach, holding his dad's hand and wondering what I was fussing about.

This stuff should be taught in PE lessons if the coast is nearby.

Spam xx

Comment

Note to Self?

Also, next time I go to the beach I am going to get the surf life savers to show my a rip, if there is one.

I did this once when the beach closed because of bluebottles. I didn't know what they were, so I asked.

Comment

Note to Self?

Spam where in the UK are you from? I lived in Chalk Farm (Between Hampstead and Camden for 4 years..

Where in Oz are you now?

Comment

Note to Self?

Absolutely, ask the Surf Life Savers to show you the rips and make sure you teach your Son!

It's REALLY importaint here!

Comment

Note to Self?

I was born near London Bridge (Bermondsey) and lived in SE London. Lived in Sevenoaks, Kent as an adult.

I came out to Brisbane 5 years ago. We're on the north side so easy reach of the sunny coast. Best move we ever made.

Where are you?

Comment

Note to Self?

I am in Melbourne South East Suburbs (20 minutes from the City)

I worked in London Bridge for 12 Months, I know it well, especially the pubs

Comment

Note to Self?

I've imported 4 Poms back here..

Same culture, better Weather, People more friendly and Money goes further...

It's the UK but better...

Comment

Note to Self?

Gosh, now you've got me thinking....I can remember one in Borough,

I generally worked in the West end.

Are you up for a while?

Comment

Note to Self?

My UK mates still walk a little too fast and aren't quite as relaxed as me, poor Bastards..

Comment

Note to Self?

You aren't keeping me up...

Comment

Note to Self?

Do you want to venture into "chat"?

Comment

Working...
                                X