SMART groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMART groups

hi all ...... here in my home city AA is incredibly strong with probably about 10 groups running ...... my psychiatrist (who is prescribing NAL for me) has asked me whether i would like to be a facilitator for a SMART self support group based on CBT with no higher power or sponsor ........ she put me in touch with the manager of the local treatment centre ...... have researched the SMART site and it seems interesting ..... especially for support on AF days does anyone have any experience of this group that might help me ????? have a great day everyone ..... pompey
    I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

SMART groups

Unfortunately, I only have a "bad" experience.

I don't want to go to AA and found a local Smart group. I really liked the sound of it. I am not into higher powers. I called the number and it was out of service. I called the Head Office and found that the group had been suspended.

I have a fear that I may meet someone I know at AA. I don't have this fear with SMART.

If you think you can do it, then go for it. And we will support you all the way.

Spam xx

BTW - Is Pompey a reference to your preferred soccer team?

Comment

SMART groups

First I've heard of it. I have no problem with recognition at AA, but couldn't find a group I could work with. Good luck, hon.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

SMART groups

hi spam ...... yes i'm a pompey fan ...... semi final on sun!!!!! play up pompey!!!! ......... is spam a reference to your team????? .....JOKE...... dont live in pompey anymore have ended up in plymouth after many AL fuelled "adventures" and geographicals ..... thanks for your reply ..... i think i will give it a go i'll wait till i hear back from the manager of the unit who apparently can provide a room for free ..... i'll keep you updated on progres + being selfish it will give me another focus in my life to support my recovery ..... thanks for reply ruby..... pompey x
        I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round .... really love to watch them roll .... no longer riding on the merry-go-round ...... I just had to let it go

Comment

SMART groups

I say go for it! I would love to see the SMART program grow. I think there are many people looking for alternatives to AA and I think SMART offers a good program. I have done some of the SMART Recovery exercises in the past, which I found helpful. (i.e. CBT) I liked the forum and I especially liked the scheduled PalTalk meetings. There was also a "live" meeting in my area. I enjoyed that but the group was extremely small and only met once per week.

I subsequently went to AA (which I always swore I would never do) and have found my "home" in sobriety there.

If there is one suggestion I would make based on something that happened regularly in the SMART group I was in, I would avoid "bashing" other programs such as AA. The leader of my group had a lot of resentment over YEARS of court mandated AA attendance. I can understand that. As much as I find AA helpful to me, I can see how it might be frustrating to be FORCED to be there if I didn't want to. BUT....I don't think it served any good purpose to hear how much he hated AA all the time.

All the best to you. I'm interested in hearing about your progress with this initiative. Alternatives are fabulous as the population needing help is so huge, and "one size" does not fit all.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

SMART groups

thanks for your encouragement doggygirl ..... i also have nothing against most AA groups and still have several friends from my many attempts at sobriety through AA and i have seen people get sobriety following that route ..... i have just never been able to get past step 3 and give up my "self will" .... actually went for coffee with a load of AA guys last sat ..... so i wont be the kind of facilitator bashing other programmes if something works for just one person then as long as it is not detrimental to others recovery thats great ...... beautiful sunny day here ..... off to see an hilarious scottish comedian tonight .... frankie boyle ..... anyone outside of the uk heard of him???? have a good day everyone ..... play up pompey x

Comment

Working...
            X