So I finally went to my doctor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I finally got the guts to go talk to my doctor about my problem. She was amazing. I asked for antibuse - you'll never believe this! I finally get the guts to ask for it and it's discontinued in Ontario! FRIG!

She told me not to be embarrased, and that she was so proud of me for coming to her. she gave me a prescription for Campral. I know that a lot of people here have had success with that so I am happy to try it.

Let me know your experiences if you have either talked to your doctor or are taking campral. I am going to go check out the other campral threads now.

:h

Uni
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Uni, WONDERFUL!! Good luck with the Campral, I haven't used it. Often, the worrying before we come clean is 100x worse than anything that could happen, and you had SUCH support!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I took Campral for 3 months straight. 2 tabs, 3x's a day. I had no side effects, and it did help me remain sober during the time I took it. I never renewed my perscription, and ofcourse started my cycle of benders. I'm calling my doctor and am going to get back on it.
      September 23, 2011

Comment

Dear universal,
        Best thing I ever did regarding my drink problem was open up to my doctor. Once I'd told the truth and exactly how I was feeling and the effect it was having on my life, at least partially, I was given the opportunity to get some appropriate medication (Antabuse) and some counselling. I've always considered myself proud but in hindsight I'm just stubborn, and glad to be so at times. We all need help from time to time and there's no shame in asking for it and after all, that's what these people are there for.
        I know a lot of people worry about the negative effect a Dr's report may have on their job prospects, insurability and financial situation; getting a mortgage etc., and quite rightly so, but at the time it was the only way I had to go. My doctor was brilliant and the help I received gave me some space to realise that all I need is some work to do, a place to sleep and something to eat and I can get along quite merrily. Anything else is a bonus, and they do come along from time to time.
        You have my best wishes for your own journey.

Comment

Good for you, universal!!

Campral only works while abstinent I do believe, so good luck to you. If you're struggling, you know where to come
          I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Hi Universal!

Just reading this thread now. Congrats on getting the courage to talk to your doctor.

Yes, I would like to share my experiences (briefly)

When I got up the courage to talk to a doctor, it was a huge step in the right direction. I suppose its a huge step to yourself too because your being honest, and asking for help.

I even went to several doctors to make sure I was getting the best care and advice. I got to be a picky patient really! I guess that was the courage coming out in me.

Uni, I just wanted to tell you also, at my last doctors visit, (a NEW doctor, LOL) I was given a script for Antabuse which I filled.

Would you believe that I NEVER even opened up that bottle, but yet got my 30 days?? In other words, It was not the Antabuse that got me sober. It never went in my mouth. I believe my persistance to get sober is what really got me sober.

With or without Antabuse, you can do it. I hope the Campral works for you too, friend!
            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I've tried Campral a couple of times but did suffer gastrointestinal discomfort. I still had some cravings and did go back to drinking again. So for me it didn't work.

Like overit says it is usually down to you to give up drinking, meds and supplements merely offer assistance.

Comment

Hi Uni,
                Wonderful, when you read some of the horrid experiences some people have had.
                I had the same great experience when I went to my doctor... he was helpful, understanding and non judgemental. (All of the apprehension was in my own mind!) . He put me on campral and I found it worked well. But still needed my own determination as well. He also prescribed me antabuse, and like Over, it bloody terrified me!
                You're on the right pathway now, just keep going a step at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X