MdDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MdDS

Has anyone heard of Mal de Debarquement Syndrome?

MdDS

Hello Okydoky
    I would think it`s in french, do you have the english translation?

Comment

MdDS

It's a rare balance disorder that most often develops following an ocean cruise, other type of water travel, or motion experience including plane flights, and train travel.

Comment

MdDS

okydoky;835707 wrote: It's a rare balance disorder that most often develops following an ocean cruise, other type of water travel, or motion experience including plane flights, and train travel.
        To add to oky Mal de debarquement literally means "sickness of disembarkment."

After doing something that involves movement - like a cruise - the brain adapts to the motion of the ship or other vehicle; but once the movement stops, the brain is unable to readapt once again. Why this happens is not completely understood. Both hubby and I have felt like that after getting off of cruises (where it stills feels like we're rocking and rolling) but we've been able to stabilize quickly and it hasn't been a long term effect for us.

Curious why did you asked the question - did someone diagnose you with it? If so, are things resolving for you?

:l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

MdDS

Apparently pregnant women are one of the groups predisposed to this after travel motion ( a friend of mine had it )
          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

MdDS

I was originally diagnosed after a cruise in 2005 and it lasted a year. Of course, back then I dealt with it with drink. I have recently had a 2nd episode after Hawaii vacation. I have been sober for over a year now (with one little slip) My world is rocking and I'm afraid the only way to deal with this is the way I've always dealt. It seems like I have been through a lot sober in the past year, but this is a tough one.

Comment

MdDS

Oky,
              I'm not sure drinking would be the best cure for this as heavy drinking rocks the central nervous system. It tinkers with brain chemicals -- leading to headache, dizziness, and nausea -- and you sure wouldn't want any more dizziness than you're already experiencing.

Don't be fooled thinking drinking resolves the problem. I think it would add to it.

:l
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
              X