Prayers From The Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers From The Nations

I couldn't decide where this belonged, but decided to put it out there, and let others decide if these mean any of the things they do to me. I've been doing a lot of genealogical research, and concentrating right now on my 'American Indian' forebears, who call themselves 'The Nations'. Here are some of their beautiful prayers to 'The Great Spirit'.

May the stars carry your sadness aways.
    May the flowers fill your heart with beauty.
    May hope forever wipe away your tears,
    And, above all, may silence make you strong.
    Chief Dan George

Hold on to what is good,
    Even if it's a handful of earth.
    Hold on to what you believe,
    Even if its a tree that stands by itself.
    Hold on to what you do.
    Even if it's a long way from here.
    Hold on to your life.
    Even if it's easier to let go.
    Hold on to my hand,
    Even if someday I'll be gone away from you.
    A Pueblo Indian Prayer

Oh Great Spirit
    help me always
    to speak the truth quietly
    to listen with an open mind
    when others speak
    and to remember the peace
    that may be found in silence.
    Cherokee Prayer

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelope you, be still.
    Be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    ---as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.
    Ponca Chief White Eagle
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Prayers From The Nations

Way to go Ruby ! Like it.....IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Wonderful research Ruby!

:wings:Love, Peace, and Happiness!

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

I am of Cherokee Indian heritage and I love it...The Trail of Tears has always moved me....
        Thanks Rubes
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Thanks Ruby, hope and thankfulness is definitely what keeps us all going!

runningwind
          The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

lovely ruby lovely

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Very Inspiring!

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Thank's Ruby. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

hi rubes i came across this one, it is not a poem but a story,but i thot id add,ive done a lot of research,of late cause of my physical health issues,on aboriginal issues,in canada,cause i am canadian, one nnight an old ojibway told his gran son,about a battle that goes on in people,the battle is between 2 wolves,inside all of us,one is evil,angry,envious,jealous,sorrowful,regretful,gre edyy,arrogant,self rightous,resentful and it lies,the other is good,at peace,loves has humility and serenity and is a joy to be around,and mosly cherishes life and whats in it,the yung lad thot a moment, and asked ? which one wins. the old ojibway replied . the one you feed.gyco

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Wonderful story, Gy. I've heard it, but had forgotten it. Hubs and I both have ancestors from the Nations, and I've been especially interested the last 20 years, since we bought our land in the N. Ga. mountains. There are SO many reminders of the Cherokee who were living there, peacefully, until 1853, when white settlers discovered gold there. President Andrew Jackson allowed the 'relocation' of 'the peoples' to the Indian Territories in the west, under the guidance of General Winfield Scott. This is known as The Trail Of Tears. Cherokees were taken from their homes, sometimes leaving their dinner on the table, and forced to march with little food and no protection from the elements, to their new home. Many died on the march, but many escaped the march and hid out in the protection of the mountains they knew and loved. There is now a thriving Indian nation at Cherokee, NC. The irony was that within a few years, gold was discovered in the west, and the great gold rush was on to that region, again displacing The People. The wrong wolf was fed for greed during this time. When I was drinking, I didn't pay that much attention to the history of the land. It's been wonderful, and inspiring, to learn more about my heritage, and to be able to remember it the next day!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Prayers From The Nations

Been meaning to post on this thread ..... Ruby Thanks for this i love it... The hold on one, i love the most....going to see my friend today well she finding it hard to walk and is scare if she falls over again, she said it like holding on to dear life, well she can always hold on to me until she gets her full recovery back.
                      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                      X