now im going to stop smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i know this is an AL site but im settled here and wanted to post this thread to strengthen my resolve. i am now going to stop smoking. i had a nasty dream last night that a friend died instantly from a stroke from smoking (actually she doesnt smoke but thats the nature of dreams for you). ive been sitting here this morning drinking tea and smoking. ive never been a big smoker and didnt start till my thirties (how stupid is that and mostly only when i drink). since being AF ive been smoking a lot but have put it to one side as AL is the worse beast for me.
    i feel so much better from being AF and i am sure i can feel double better from not smoking. i have just been on a smoking site with lots of good info to take on board. i have diabetes and all smoking probs are 3 times worse for diabetics so im taking huge risks, my circulation has always been rubbish so thats another issue. anyhow, less of my ramblings, ive told you guys now so TODAY I WILL NOT SMOKE. thanks for listening, this was a self indulgent ramble for my resolve.
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

Good for you Spud.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

I am so proud of you, Spuds! I, too, am a diabetic and smoke 2 packs a day! I need to quit but I don't want to. I've got to get to that point before I can. Let me know how it goes for you and I may try to join you! Love ya, Vicki
      I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
      but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Good luck, Spuds!

We've talked more than a few people on MWO through the process of becoming NF as well.

Who knows, maybe you'll inspire me to also give up the cigs!
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Hey Spuds, good for you. You can do it. I quit smoking at the end of last summer. It was hard, but for me, especially hard when I would drink - I wanted to smoke. Now that I am sober, I find it is easier to not smoke. Go for it Spud.
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

well done spuds, good luck xx
            The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

You go Spuds.......
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Great goal Spuds,
                Be strong & conquer !!!
                Gold x
                :sun:

Comment

You can do it Spuds ! I have faith in you..:yougo:
                  Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                  sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                  my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Go Spuds! Drinking and smoking seem to go hand in hand (mouth??) for many of us, so don't worry about discussing it around here! There was another thread recently where these sites were also mentioned but I can't recall if you were posting on that thread. (or started it? My memory isn't what it used to be!!) Anyway...

www.quitnet.com
                    tales from the quit
                    WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

They all offer something a little different.

YOU GO!!! You can do it. Especially with AL out of the way.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Spuds!
                      I will join you in your attempt to quit smoking. As DG mentioned, drinking and smoking usually go hand in hand. I don't even think of myself as a "smoker", but boy when I was drinking a 12 pack of beer every night, I was sure smoking about half a pack to go along with it. I haven't completely given up smoking as of yet, but I do notice that I'm down to about 1 or 2 cigs in the morning, and maybe 2 or 3 at night (I've never be a "daytime" smoker"). Here's to us finally quitting. We can do it!
                      xoxo
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

With out drinking you'll probably be able to quit smoking a lot easier. I found I could quit for a week at a time until the weekend came around and I had a couple drinks, I would rush to get a pack of smokes. Then start smoking again the next day when I had smokes left over.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Comment

Spuds and K9 - Wishing you all the best in quiting the evil weed.

I used Allen Carr's method to stop many years ago, prior to that like Busted said I used to quit every monday but fail as soon as I had a drink so hopefully now you are not drinking it will be easier.
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

o dear, i feel like a bit of a plonker now. my not smoking isnt going well. ive cut down a bit and smoking a half herbal/tobacco mix but my its not happening as i hoped. im reading lots about it and started to more exercise so hopefully it will all come together soon. i guess my head isnt yet in the right place for this. thanks for your support and sorry ive messed it up. still very happy to be AF so things can only get better
                            Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                            Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Working...
                            X