Planting trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting trees

I know I haven't posted in a while but......here's what we did.

Hey all. Our son Evan is going for Eagle Scout. So he has to do a big project. He chose to plant 2000 trees in a national forest. So Joe played hooky Sunday and we rode the bike to Where Evan lives, then had a caravan of trucks and us go to the forest.

It aint like you see on tv. On tv they have this nicely plowed field the guys put a shovel in put the seedling in pat it down and move on.

NOPE.

The ground was not plowed, it was regular forest land. First of all the gear. They have those that take a kind of tool and "scalp" the ground, getting rid of all the grass that can choke the seedline. Then the other side of the tool you dig a 1x1 foot space, deep enough for the roots to go straight down. This is not easy.

Me I'm kinda like a pack mule. I have this big belt with deep pockets on me. One side has a bunch of seedlings in it, and I am allergic so as they brush my arm I get all scratched. The other side you have these plastic things, kinda what some grapes are in. Mesh that you roll out and put on your arm. And you have stakes. Well the stakes were problemic for me. The were just high enuf they went under my boobs, especially walking thru the fallen trees, bushes, etc. I had my arms try to keep them aside of me as I walked, oh we both hard hard hats too.

It was real tiring, hot, the bending down was real hard due to above. But we done it! Joe and I were so sore last nite and we were dirty from head to toe riding home on the bike......

It aint like on tv

Planting trees

And we're so proud of you. What a wonderful project, and later in life your son can go back and visit his handiwork.

(ROFL, getting visions of you as a pack mule!)
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Planting trees

Hart, that is wonderful that you were able to share the agony of labor with your husband and stepson. You make me smile.

Stay well, my friend.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Planting trees

Good job, hartsey!!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Planting trees

thats awesome harty you should be very proud of yourself for helping and being green
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Planting trees

tlrgs;839689 wrote: thats awesome harty you should be very proud of yourself for helping and being green
            I'm only green, Rog, when I get in clorine to close to dying my hair......

Comment

Planting trees

(Lorax...Speaks for the trees. Dr. Suess) Way to go Hart...your son has done a great thing. When I was a Cub Scout Weblows leader we went out and planted trees for our conservation patch. IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Planting trees

hart thought this might help with the trees,...
                If a trees soil becomes dry or low in valuable minerals,it cant pull up its roots
                and move to a better place.Instead, the tree spreads its roots deeper & wider
                seeking fertile ground,It makes the surrounding soil richer by dropping dead branches
                and leaves to mulch the ground below.It remains firm in the wind,bends but doesn't break
                under the weight of ice & snow,and gives shade,shelter & nourishment to the ground below
                Beginning tonight,if we think of ourselves as trees firmly placed,we can learn to grow no matter
                how difficult it may seem,Such growth can Erich our lives and makes us stronger so we dont
                break with the weight of problems or difficulties,We too,can be as strong and as enduring as
                trees....We can learn to move with the winds of change & bend with the weight of difficulties-and
                still stand tall & firm.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Planting trees

Wow Mario, what a great thought...thanx! A lesson for us all.

Comment

Planting trees

mario;840184 wrote: hart thought this might help with the trees,...
                    If a trees soil becomes dry or low in valuable minerals,it cant pull up its roots
                    and move to a better place.Instead, the tree spreads its roots deeper & wider
                    seeking fertile ground,It makes the surrounding soil richer by dropping dead branches
                    and leaves to mulch the ground below.It remains firm in the wind,bends but doesn't break
                    under the weight of ice & snow,and gives shade,shelter & nourishment to the ground below
                    Beginning tonight,if we think of ourselves as trees firmly placed,we can learn to grow no matter
                    how difficult it may seem,Such growth can Erich our lives and makes us stronger so we dont
                    break with the weight of problems or difficulties,We too,can be as strong and as enduring as
                    trees....We can learn to move with the winds of change & bend with the weight of difficulties-and
                    still stand tall & firm.
                    I like that mario... it just goes to show that everything in life has something to say... if we get quiet enough to listen.

runningwind
                    The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Working...
                    X