Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Again

Hi everybody

I was in here oh maybe about a year ago for a little while. Wasn't really serious and didn't make it too far. Am back again, this time with more motivation (this time I'll get it right?)

Landed myself in the hospital a couple months ago b/c of drinking and stress. had chest pains and had a whole battery of tests done, and guess what? no blockages or anything, but, who woulda thunk, I feel better when I don't drink.

anyway, have found a couple meetings I like going to and am doing a lot better. I still can't imagine NEVER drinking again, but I don't drink every night anymore. (rationalize much?)

I still haven't completely bought into the program (sponsor, steps, etc...) I'm still dumb enough to believe I can do it on my own.

But, I'm here, and I don't feel like killing myself with alchohol anymore, so that's a step in the right direction.

Hope everybody else is doing great.
    Sobriety Is Wasted On The Sober

Hi Again

Roamer, don't overthink this, or think too far ahead yet. Get through THIS day. Glad you're back.
    Rubes
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hi Again

ya, just try not to drink TODAY right? easier said than done.

Comment

Hi Again

Hi All
        Roamer when I first realized that I was an alcoholic and couldn't drink again it was such a mental challenge. My adult life has been centered around a drinking lifestyle. From friends to activities. The person you are now that is trying to stop drinking is not going to be the same person 3 months 6 months and a year from now. The biggest fear I had was the aspect of never drinking again. Now I can't believe it but drinking is not a battle. The further away i got from al the easier it became. I read a tread by Mario about being sober is the most important thing in his life. It is the same for me but at the start I couldn't recognize this or say it. It is something that comes along with more sober time. If being sober and getting al out of your life is important to you the aspect of drinking will not be attractive at all. When you get some good sober time all the things we think we like about drinking become unattractive. From the wasted time wasted money healthy problems etc.
        The start is hard but it will get easier with time as I was told when I arrived here.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Hi Again

Glad you made the decision to come back... it sounds like you have learned the things you needed too... in order to continue on your journey Hope you join us in the "Newbie Nest" (its for everyone) and I wish you the very best along your way!

runningwind
          The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

Hi Again

Hi roamer and welcome back. I agree with the suggestion to just take things a day at a time and not try to over think them. I too am fortunate to have found a meeting group that really helps me stay sober. After a year I have made some really great friends and am learning how to live on all levels without a drink in my hand. If you like the meetings and they help you, then GO. Don't worry about the rest of it until / unless you one day feel the need.

I would also say that if you find you are struggling to stay sober, then it's not a bad idea to see what the people who have achieved contented sobriety are doing, and then consider doing what they do.

Don't drink and be happy!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Again

caysea;840023 wrote: The person you are now that is trying to stop drinking is not going to be the same person 3 months 6 months and a year from now. The biggest fear I had was the aspect of never drinking again
              yup, I can already tell I'm a different person just from 2 months ago. It's a slow process I guess, turning that wheel. That said, I haven't quit drinking "because I want to", it's that I finally realize I "need to" b/c my body is screaming at me about it. I just can't abuse myself anymore like I have been for the last 12 years.

I think I can honestly say I've moved away from wanting a drink, to a place where I wouldn't mind a drink, but I don't have to have one. I still can't wrap my head around never having a drink again, but I'm content to let it come as it may and not push it.

Just by not drinking every night I'm light years ahead of where I used to be. And as far as over thinking things, I cant' help that. I'm an engineer.

Comment

Hi Again

omg an engineer! I found the delta P(P=presure) reduced as time went on....
                duno if that is engineerish, but it was all i could come up with sans googling it, Grast on the A/F time.
                AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

Hi Again

for t = time where t = 1 ->infinity; delta(P of t) where (P of t) is pressure dependent on time, Pt -> 0 ? this isn't the best equation editor I've ever used, but I think we've made our point.

you go to the head of the class!

Comment

Working...
                  X