Asthma and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asthma and alcohol

I had no idea there was a link between asthma and alcohol until I just heard someone talking about it on the radio.

A few years ago I developed asthma for the first time ever after having first bronchitis and then pleurisy (it was a whole big saga that went on and on) and I ended up having to use inhalers. I was still drinking heavily at the time and I wonder now whether that might have contributed to it, made it worse or maybe even triggered it in the first place.

The Allergy Site, allergens in drink

Oh, and now I don't drink... and I don't have asthma any more.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Asthma and alcohol

Hey thanks for the link.. interesting!

Comment

Asthma and alcohol

Funnily enough,Marshy
      A good few years ago I was rushed to hospital with a severe chest infection which developed into pneumonia. I was drinking pretty heavily at the time too. I've also had to use inhalers for years.

The doctors at the told me there was a link, did I listen. No.

And now I don't drink......I don't have asthma either.

I have to add that I do still get chest infections now and again, but nothing a few anti-biotics won't sort out.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Asthma and alcohol

I've just had a lightbulb moment... I haven't used my inhaler in... it seems forever.

Even though I still smoke...
        I'll do whatever it takes
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Asthma and alcohol

I'm an asthmatic. A mild case, fortunately, but when i was on the red wine, my asthma would get worse, so there was a direct link there for me. I don't think beer affected my asthma much, but red wine did noticably.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Asthma and alcohol

Guitarista;842987 wrote: I'm an asthmatic. A mild case, fortunately, but when i was on the red wine, my asthma would get worse, so there was a direct link there for me. I don't think beer affected my asthma much, but red wine did noticably.
            Shouldn't you be in bed, Mr. G?
            I'll do whatever it takes
            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Asthma and alcohol

I've had moderate asthma since I was 16-now 53. I've noticed that since I stopped drinking in March, my asthma has actually gotten slightly worse. Could be coincidence with spring allergies tho. I have come to the conclusion that I am allergic to white wine (my drink of choice) as I get a terrible stuffed up nose, horrible heartburn and splotchy skin when I drink. As long as I don't, those symptoms are not around. So I don't. Wish I could say that being AF has transformed my physical life: dropped tons of weight, sleep better than ever, asthma pretty much gone; but I can't. Sleep is worse than ever, the 7 lbs I initially lost is creeping back up and I feel horribly bloated (intense sugar and junk food cravings all the time despite supps) and like I said, asthma is worse. Oh well, at least I'm not hungover too.
              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Working...
              X