Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choclate may cause depression

Chocolate has a "feel-good" factor, researchers say
    People who regularly eat chocolate are more depressive, experts have found.

Research in Archives of Internal Medicine shows those who eat at least a bar every week are more glum than those who only eat chocolate now and again.

Many believe chocolate has the power to lift mood, and the US team say this may be true, although scientific proof for this is lacking.

But they say they cannot rule out that chocolate may be a cause rather than the cure for being depressed.

In the study, which included nearly 1,000 adults, the more chocolate the men and women consumed the lower their mood.

Those who ate the most - more than six regular 28g size bars a month - scored the highest on depression, using a recognised scale.

None of the men and women were on antidepressants or had been diagnosed as clinically depressed by a doctor.

'Mood food'

Dr Natalie Rose and her colleagues from the University of California, San Diego, say there are many possible explanations for their findings, and that these need to be explored.

It may simply be that people who are depressed crave chocolate as a "self-treatment" to lift mood, or depression may drive the craving without any beneficial effect.

"Alternatively, analogous with alcohol, there could be short-term benefits of chocolate to mood with longer-term untoward effects," they told the journal.

Chocolate could even be a direct cause of depression, the researchers added.

Bridget O'Connell, of the mental health charity Mind, said: "The way we feel and what we eat can be closely related, and many people will be familiar with craving particular foods or comfort eating when they are stressed, under pressure or depressed.

"However, as this study shows, more research is needed to determine exactly what the relationship between chocolate and our mood is."

fromm bbc website

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

does l glut help with choclate cravings, when i do start eating cake or choclate i cant stop,i can never have just one peice,reminds me of my old drinking habbits.

Comment

"However, as this study shows, more research is needed to determine exactly what the relationship between chocolate and our mood is."

fromm bbc website

No worries folks..
      read this properly..

You will see that this research is being done by researchers that are chocoholics themselves..!!
      And just wanna get paid to eat more chocolate,

to continue their reseach they get paid for doing it...
      :busted::busted:

not a bad job at all to be in..!!

bring on the chocolate I say...!!

:tonguemonkey::tonguemonkey::tonguemonkey:

Comment

:H:H:H Jan, found your idea career move.

Yes Mario l-glut helps with sugar cravings too.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Interesting

Mairo reading your post makes me feel depress !

No really i have a bit of choc'late with the one of many cups of teas i have b4 bedtime, also a choc chip cookie biscuit, plus ice cream, also notice, when i go shopping im hanging out in the section where the cakes and choc'late are, not hanging out no more where the AL section is.

Come to think of it, i have got some L-Glut in my cupboard, so i might just start taking them 2.

Thanks for the post.
          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi Mario, interesting topic for sure. It is always difficult to sift throught studies, I find, because we never are given enough information such as: who funded the study? Who's lobbyists are pushing to have the study get to mainstream media? It's easy to bend the truth with statistics, no matter which point of view you hold. Perhaps the oldest saying is still the best, alcohol excepted, "all things in moderation"
            Hill
            Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Chocolate causes depression?!? Certainly does, in the head of the person who tries to take it away from me!
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

LoL Ruby my hubby the other day took my last choc Eclairs:upset: if looks could kill, and he has not got a sweet tooth....
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Is this the line for application forms
                  It could be worse, I could be filing.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I'm going to report Mario as a spammer...
                    I'll do whatever it takes
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Where's the Zoloft ............Death by chocolate can occur in some cases too ! Ha! IAD
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

(CNN) — An employee at a New Jersey chocolate processing plant died Wednesday after falling into a vat of hot chocolate, according to a spokesman for the Camden County Prosecutor’s office.

Vincent Smith II, 29, was dumping raw chocolate into the vat for melting when he fell in from a nine-foot high platform. He suffered a fatal blow to the head from the vat’s agitator, a paddle-like mechanism used for stirring the chocolate.

According to the Camden County prosecutor’s office, three other people were on the platform at the time. One was able to shut the machinery off quickly, but it was too late to save Smith.

The facility, owned by Cocoa Services Inc., is managed and operated by by Lyons and Sons.

The rectangular vat, which was 8 feet deep, 14 feet long and 6 feet wide, was churning a batch of chocolate for Hershey’s when the accident occurred, the prosecutor’s office said. “

What a grisly way to go, but what a story to tell once he gets to the Pearly Gates. If you had to go in a dramatic fashion, what would you choose?
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

tiptronic_ct;844134 wrote: I'm going to report Mario as a spammer...
                          :H:H:H
                          and its nearly time for me magnums choclate icecream

Comment

Sheri;844138 wrote: All joking aside, for me, there is a distinct chain reaction between depression and simple carbs (not just chocolate), especially since I stopped drinking. When I was drinking, I didn't crave sweets at all because I was getting my fix from the booze. However, now that the booze is out of the picture, and I've been been falling prey to the simple carbs, I'm finding that I'm more depressed and tired, my mood is all over the place, and I'm craving the very thing that is causing me to have all these problems (just like I did with the booze). Whereas, when I eat healthy, as I did when I first quit drinking, I was much happier, my moods were stable, I had tons more energy, and I craved healthy food instead of junk. It seems I'm my own case study. Just like booze, the lift I get from the simple carbs is only a temporary high and not worth the long-lasting side effects I suffer afterwards.

Sheri
                            Sheri,
                            I never crave for sweet things when i was drinking, im the same i have to be very careful not to have too much sugar during the day on an empty stomach, my brother is the same i to get very tired like as if i have got a hangover, and thats when the craving sets in, and i could kill for a AL drink. Thats why i have my choc'late at night time....Then straight to bed for me.x

Comment

I love chocolate, chocolate doesn't love me.....migraine, migraine, migraine. Exactly the same symptoms as my old hangovers. Other people I know are fine with chocolate, similar to alcohol I guess, some can process, some (like self) not.
                              AF since April 19, 2010
                              NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
                              -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Working...
                              X