cold turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold turkey

hi everyone hope you have all had a good day mine has been quite but good but i got to thinking reading most of the posts over the last couple of weeks it seems to me that almost everyone is taking some form of meds or supps or a combo of both and was wondering if there is anyone out there trying to go it alone like me,it is a real struggle for me but i have just started taking medication for something not to serious but getting the correct dosage is a bit tricky so absolutely nothing for me until that is sorted,in the meantime i am trying to keep busy so as not to think about drinking,doesn,t always work,so any other advice would be greatly welcome i am also getting a visit from the community action team tomorrow so i will wait and see what they have to say for themselves let you know how i get on :h maryt

cold turkey

I take topamax and supps,read the boards, exercise and just try to think right. I believe it made things much easier. I'm almost 5 months alcohol free.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

cold turkey

Gabby glad I found you,
      Thanks for your reply earlier on my misplaced posting. I am Researching the Topamax, but my clients....(members) take that for seizures and psych disorders. However, I did read an interesting posting earlier about a lady in a field similiar to mine and when she went to the doctor it was a positive experience. I am taking Milk Thistle and B vitamins but it does not help. The wine cravings are almost unbearable. Your post earlier about Prozac was good but for me that did not work except I only drank half the bottle of wine. Some people are different though and I never thought about it but it could be helpful. I was taking the Prozac for other issues.

Comment

cold turkey

maryt,
        Keep up the good work this stuff is hard and : Life sucks so blow back!!!!!

Good Luck
        Tammy

Comment

cold turkey

the topamax has been key for me
          Gabby :flower:

Comment

cold turkey

thanks tammy and gabby for your positive inputs it sure ain,t easy had a meating with a community addiction councillar and he explained that because i am already on thyroxine for an under active thyroid that i have to be careful which other meds i take on top of that as it could make me really ill but he is going to talk to my doc to see if it is okay for me to take librium (think that ia what it is called)have to meet up with him again this thurs let you know how it goes hope you all have a lovely weekend maryt

Comment

cold turkey

cold turkey

hi maryt
              im trying to do this without meds.my brother has kidney stones and my mother had glaucoma so topa is out for me.i use l-glutamine and the amino acids,kudzu and allone and the hypno cd's do help.even with all that i still get cravings so i am going to ask my doc for campral.im a binge drinker so i can stay sober for a couple of weeks and so i plan to flood my system with campral and the rest of the program.
              librium is chlordiazepoxide and it is an older type tranquillizer but i think safer than xanax,valium or ativan.i have tried to use different tranks in the past to deal with cravings but your body will become tolerant to them over time.librium is good for detox but try not to use it for too long it will bite back in the end.
              you can modify this program to help with the cravings, you just have to adjust it herre and there.i am doing way better than i was in may.it is worth it to keep at this.i have had days of great clarity.so keep at it and things will fall into place.

Comment

cold turkey

im in my first 12 hours of cold turkey, about to take a valium and go to bed.

good luck

sara

Comment

cold turkey

Hang in there, Sara.

Tawny

Comment

cold turkey

hey jerrybear
                    this may sound like an overused cliche but tomorrow is a brand new day
                    by the way i love nurses.i have been in hospital a few times with serious conditions like bladder cancer and i can't say enough about the respect i have for nurses.sometimes you may feel its taken for granted,maybe by some people but not the majority.
                    im sure you'll do fine this weekend.

Comment

cold turkey

Hope you have a good night, Sara.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

cold turkey

Hang in there Sara. We're all in it together ;-)
                        Paddy
                        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

cold turkey

you all are wonderful

It's Sara, and yes, I'm doing fine. Been eating a lot of grapes. I'm so excited to have found you all, I feel like, even though this weekend may not be pleasant at all, I'm going to make it. YEAH!!!! AF sounds soooooooooo good to me right now!

Almost at 36 hours!

XOXO
                          Sara

Comment

cold turkey

Librium use

surfer2,

I'm a brand new member, wanting to detox as painlessly as possible, and keep my job and go to work. I'm down to about 6 oz daily over the last two weeks, down from 12 oz. daily over the last 10 years. I just received a 60 ct. 25 mg. of Xanax from my doctor for anxiety. Do you think this will work for detox, or do you think Librium is better? How are you going to get your Librium - by going to your doctor or by the internet? What is the best daily dosage for an alcoholic for detox, and how many days?

I know I may be asking too many questions, but I'm desperate to get off because of the terrible withdrawal symptoms. I want to be around to see my grandkids grow up! Thanks to you and anyone else for advice.

Benji

Comment

cold turkey

librium use

hey benji
                              i can only reply to this from my own experience but i'll try and help.
                              i've never detoxed intensionally although i've had the shakes and anxiety for a few days after a long binge.i do know that in Britain they are almost regulated to use Librium for detox.the British have become very hard line on benzos like xanax,ativan,clonazepam.they have realized that any short acting benzo can create problems down the road for people.librium is a milder benzo and less addicting and valium would be my 2nd choice.i've used it on and off for years but i started to get into trouble when i started using xanax.it's like the crack cocaine of the benzo world.it's designed for panic attacks and it works very well for that but at the same time you will have the anxiety back very quickly.
                              i guess the big question is should you use it.i wouldn't.i would try really hard to get some valium.you only need enough for a week or so.
                              do people become raving drug addicts because they use xanax for a week, usually not but the seed of addiction could be planted.some people here order Topamax off the internet but it's not a controlled substance like valium.i think the best is to keep in touch with your doctor.i hope some of this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X