Bit confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit confused

Okay, last night/this morning in chat, wished a poster good luck following plan, and was told that was tantamount to expecting them to fail.
    I have been away for a while, but since when was wishing good things to someone a negative thing?
    Have I misread situation? If so am sorry for any offence I have given and will never wish good luck to anyone else. If not...hmmm.
    fwiw, I do wish everyone, including myself, following a plan, the best of luck!
    x
    Pipsqueak

Bit confused

Hi Pipsqueak, and I have to say that I am totally with you on this one. Thanks for bringing it up, because I don't know the answer, and certainly don't want to offend anyone either. Hopefully someone can help us figure it out.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that in theatre, one never says goodluck - old myth that bad things will occur - one says "break a leg". And never say "MacBeth" in a theatre, only on stage live when it is written in dialogue. Anwho, perhaps the person in chat was a theatre person, who carries that tradition into other contexts?

I am sure that everyone knows that you did not have anything but good intentions.
    Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Bit confused

pipsqueak,

Your heart was in the right place.. i guess the saying 'good luck' could mean that a person must need "luck" to have success, when often with giving up an addiction it comes down to a whole lot more than that!
      Please don't take it to heart.. you did not mean any harm... not everyone will agree with what we are saying - not just you, but any of us!
      all the best,
      Katie x
      "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Bit confused

Aaaw, thanks for replies, and Katie well done on AF since 24th and...long may it continue(whisper GL)
        xx
        Pipsqueak

Comment

Bit confused

Pipsqueak,

I was chatting to someone via the boards the other night and we decided to go into chat.

There were a few other people in there, so we ended up chatting in a window, on our own. It was all good.

However, I have noticed on more than one occassion that the people in chat have been / are drinking. This particular evening, I had mentioned coming into the Newbies Nest and they were almost in awe of the little I have achieved. I got the impression that they didn't really want to make the effort.

Did you "know" who you were talking to? Or did you get caught up with someone?

I tend to be quite careful and only go into chat when it's pre-arranged on when I see someone I know.

Spam xx

Comment

Bit confused

Good point Spam. As I said, have been away a while, so may have lost plot a wee bit. Sincerely do not wish to cause offence to peeps trying hard to be AF.
            x
            Pipsqueak

Comment

Bit confused

Pip,
              I agree with Spam. I was there last night and caught a little of what u are referring to. There are those that come onto chat that are drinking and sometimes they say things that dont sit well with the majority of us. Just know that everyone is welcome, we take the good with the bad. We are not all going to have the same views and opinions but I do believe u were being sincere and there is nothing wrong with that. One thing I have learned here early on is just dont get engaged in the negativity, it just feeds it.

Comment

Bit confused

pip, i have to say i can vaguely understand the response. a couple of times i have been unsure about saying good luck as i can see how it could be taken as 'you need luck cos youre not strong enough' that kind of thing. i still said i though and im sure it has always been taken how it was meant. i guess people can be a bit sensitive if they are feeling low... but they should also realize that the person they are replying to may also not be super strong right now. anyhow to everyone who needs it, including me... good luck
                Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Bit confused

Fair point, well made.
                  I will now try to think of a way of conferring good will towards people without implying luck is required.
                  I apologise unreservedly if I caused any offence, it was not my intention.
                  Pipsqueak

Comment

Working...
                  X