Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average consumption per week

Hello Board,

I am curious to find out what your average consumption per week was when you were drinking? Mine was too much for me and I decided to stop for many various reasons, including health, legal, emotional and relational. I averaged 25 drink per week. Thank you.

What sort of drinks?

Over here we measure in units - I would drink around 30 units per day in a session which may last 1 evening (4 hours) or several days. Some weeks would be 30, 60 or perhaps 90 units other weeks up to 150.

To obtain units multiply % abv x volume in mls and divide by 1000.

So a 750ml bottle of wine at 12% 12 x 750/1000 = 9 units.

1 pint beer at 4% 4 x 568/1000 = 2.3 units

Comment

UKblonde, I had no idea that's how units were worked out!

My "normal" amount was about 120 units a week. If I was on holiday (and therefore work wasn't getting in the way of my drinking) it was more than that.
      That's why I stopped.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I used an app on my iPhone that counts units so yes 25 drinks or 25 units per week was my average. I drank every day and was dependant, and combining that with food of course. I want to see if some people that drank in the same proportion than me also came to the realization that they were better of without alcohol.

Comment

Im not sure how the units work out - I drank two normal sized bottles of wine a day which I counted as 10 drinks but propbably more in units. That was 70 per week plus extra at weekends, i probably got to around 100 drinks a week..... Sounds a lot!
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Keyners

25 units a week is very low indeed and not a level associated with dependency unless taken in one short session. 1 drink is not 1 unit - infact most 'drinks' are around 2 units each, some much more. I think your iphone could be wrong. At that level, taken over 7 days you would not be drunk even once.

Comment

Weekdays would be 8 beers. On the weekend was easily 2 cases (48 beers). This was made worse by the fact I rarely ate. That just interfeared with my getting drunk.
              Sober since 4/8/10 -OVER 150 DAYS AND GOING AF!!!!

Get busy livin or get busy dyin-Duane Peters
              No more bad future-Skull Skates

Comment

My iPhone calculates 25 drinks as 25 units, so based on your measurement scale, I was above 25. My average was 2/3 of a bottle of wine per day, every day.

Comment

hmm..also not sure about units. my norm would be 2 bottles of wine a night. only nights off were if i was feeling so awful i couldnt face it.sometimes 3/4 bottle vodka. dont know the units but i know it was waaaay to much.. always drank till passed out. so i think i must have been up to about a hundred. what an awful life
                  Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                  Keep passing the open windows

Comment

I was drinking around 1.5 to 2 litres of wine per night. Not sure what that was in units but it sure was a lot of useless calories. I have lost 12 kilos since quitting alcohol 6 months ago.

My AF date is only 4 months because I had a lapse (not a relapse) New Years Eve. It was a "lapse" as it only lasted 5 hours rather than 5 years like my last "relapse". LOL. :H

FeeBee.
                    Abstinence from November 01 2009
                    Relapse New Years Eve 2009
                    Totally alcohol free since January 01 2010
                    TSM from May 11 2010

Comment

Spuddle a bottle of wine (750 mls) is between 6 and 10 units depending upon strength. 1 litre bottle Vodka 37.5 units (yep I once drank one of those in 4 hours and I didn't move for some time!), a 750ml bottle of vodka is around 28 units. 3/4 of either of these is either 28 or 21 units respectively.

Febe 1.5-2 litres wine would be somewhere around 13-24 units (9 - 12.5% abv).

Sorry I'm a units and general numbers buff and always have been.

Comment

keyners;846764 wrote: I used an app on my iPhone that counts units so yes 25 drinks or 25 units per week was my average. I drank every day and was dependant, and combining that with food of course. I want to see if some people that drank in the same proportion than me also came to the realization that they were better of without alcohol.
                        I have heard it said that it's not how much we drink, or how often we drink, but what happens WHEN we drink that matters.

If you felt dependent, then no doubt you are better off without AL regardless of how much or how often you actually drank. I too became very dependent on a daily basis and there is absolutely no question that I am light years better off without it.

All the best to you!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi UKBlonde - how many units is a can of Guinness? Any idea? I am not sure how many oz it was. I Googled it and it said 14.9 in a 16.9 can! - I am just curious as to how many units I was drinking. I used to drink 4-6 a night. Thank you so much if you know!!

Sunshine
                          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Some quick googling shows Guiness strength 4.2%, 440ml can so 1.8 units in such a can. A pub pint would be 2.4 units.

Drink drive limit in UK is around 5 units for men and 3 for women - but that varies for person to person and you would be right on the actual limit with that consumption.

Carol Voderman eat your heart out.

I remember a point at which I knew 10 units was enough to knock me out/to sleep at the end of a night(5 pints or 2 litres cider). Suddenly that became 20 and finally only 30 units would be enough - so that was 6 litres St Heliers or 3 bottles decent wine or 750mls Vodka. That progression took around 11 years which included some fairly good periods of sobriety, and a healthy diet inbetween binges. Scary when you look back and don't even realise what was happening.

I'm a 5'4" woman of lowish bodyfat and although not tiny am reasonably petite. Just goes to show doesn't it.

Comment

Yes - sort of ironic the way it creeps up on you - but by the time I decided to quit I must have been between 60 and 70 units a week then. I think the recommended amount is 14 a week?? Having been out of UK for many years I am not sure but I vaguely remember that is about right. Can't remember that last time I only did that did that amount for a whole week when I was drinking!!!! I had totally forgotten about Carol Vordemann! You sounded just like her doing your figures! LOL! Thanks for the working out. Congrats too on the AF 1 month!! Isn't it great?

sunshinedaisies
                              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Working...
                              X