why start drinking again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why start drinking again

i like to prepare in advance. there seems to be quite a few people here who get sober and stay sober for many months, even years and then fall back into the AL trap. why does this happen. i originally came here with the hope of modding very quickly, im now over 2 months sober and realize i cant drink safely (probably ever). i have no urge to drink at the moment but i want to prepare in advance. is it that you feel after months of sobriety you feel you are now in control. it seems that even if succesful at first people slip back very quickly into old drinking habits, within weeks. just curious for any info on this
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

why start drinking again

My simplistic take on it is that each of us has to very carefully attuned to our drinking triggers.

Knowing how they affect us is actually not as easy or simple as it may sound.

And yes, complacency will bite you in the @ss if you're not careful...
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

why start drinking again

spuds, you always give great advice, so i'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks xx

i read somewhere on the dry out now website the difference betwen someone who can mod and someone who can't.

after one has become physically addicted to alcohol, gave up and after a while returned to alcohol, the brain remembers the addictive behaviour rather than the single action of taking a drink. so again when the addict thinks they can stop at one drink.... bang kick in the old ways. xx

hope this helps!

How To Enjoy Life Without Alcohol - Part one - Chapter Two - Reinstatement After Abstinence - DryOutNow.com
      The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

why start drinking again

great article girly, thanks. it seems quite obvious when you read it. i think i will read lots more on that site. sound advice
        Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
        Keep passing the open windows

Comment

why start drinking again

Hi Spuds, this is a great question, and I look forward to reading the feedback you get. I am like you, just a few months af, and trying to learn how living sober works - and trying to learn how to avoid pittfalls. Thanks,
          Hill
          Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

why start drinking again

I think we tend to forget how bad it was or that we simply can't moderate. I've tried in the past, been sober 3 months but was always dying for a drink and waited for my opportunity. Unfortunately that then lead to a downward spiral.

This time I'm constantly reminding myself how bad I felt when I drank - and of course the days inbetween which were the worst.

Comment

why start drinking again

Great question spuddle, and thank you for the link, Girly. I am always interested in the science behind this addiction.

Staying here at MWO helps me a great deal to remain af. Articles like this that tell me what will happen if I decide that the urge to have a nice cold beer on a warm sunny day becomes too strong. Someone asked me yesterday if I thought I would ever drink again. I will admit that sometimes I think my life would be a little better if I could. But I KNOW deep down that this is a lie. That alcohol is over rated and unnecessary! I would regret it, I'm sure of it. I think part of the reason the thought even occurs to me is because I don't consider myself an alcoholic. That I just abused alcohol for many years. That it was more of a bad habit for me. So, I keep coming here and communicating with my friends here that I have so much in common with to keep me focused.

Great thread! :thanks:
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

why start drinking again

spuddleduck;849461 wrote: there seems to be quite a few people here who get sober and stay sober for many months, even years and then fall back into the AL trap. why does this happen.
                Spud,

My opinion is people who quit coming here or somewhere else for support or help start to get the "stinkin thinkin" like they say in A.A. So, for example, you've been in many situations where you're maintaining your AF lifestyle but you've observed others drinking. Without the support to remind you of what you were like when you drank (our memories are very selective) you start to say to yourself "I never drank like that" ..."I was never THAT bad", "I never did that." And without support you're right back to your old bad behaviors.

Even on the mod board for the very few that can moderate (where alcohol was abused and not chronic) I believe they need ongoing support or they'll go right back to old bad habits of too much. Unfortunately it seems a lot of them think they've got the modding thing under control and they disappear. I think if we were able to do research on their progress we'd find the majority are right back to drinking too much.
                What I'm trying to say is "Keep coming here!! Keep coming back" Everyone NEEDS ongoing support!

My humble opinion: If you're AF and making it one day at a time - Stay
                on the road... and when you're looking at that green grass in the pasture you're walking by remember the old saying: The grass is always greener on the other side.

:l
                Eve11
                "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

why start drinking again

Spud,

Good question!
                  IMHO I think it depends on your thinking.........Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes!
                  You HAVE to change your thinking in order to prevent yourself from picking up old habits!
                  Let's face it - we're all going to have a shitty day every now & then. Is a drink going to make it better? NO it won't make anything better.
                  Just keep telling yourself that - sooner or later you will really believe it
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

why start drinking again

Spuds, it didn't take me weeks to get back to old drinking habits, it took one night, the only difference being I blacked out quicker cos my system wasn't used to it. Keep doing what you are doing - you have been strong enough to get yourself in a very special place - sober for headin 3 months - keep it up, nothing is worth throwing that away
                    Molly
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

why start drinking again

Hi Spud, I really wish I had been sober enough to give a reply. I remember we joined around the same time and unlike you I have only ever had 8 AF days in one stretch :upset: Fantastic on almost 3 months keep going :h
                      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Working...
                      X