Addiction and Celebrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addiction and Celebrity

I would just hope we all realize how many have lost their lives to this horrible addiction. Listening to Vince right now singing......go rest high on that mountain. God bless those we have lost.

Addiction and Celebrity

i think you are worthy of a reply

Hi, not exactly sure who vince is... Is he American?? It is true to say addiction runs high in the celebrity culture. You deserve a response. It is ever so weird, but when I read about these celebrities and them with their curse of addiction and then the miraculous recovery. I find sometimes it helps me. Other times it does not. Yes, maybe I am a dormant celebrity, however, such is the need to get off my face that even chasing fame is far beyond..... Try not to think of those we lose. Try to think of those who were saved. For one death, there is two salvations (not statistically) but me putting hope into the scenario. Is celebrity not an addiction in itself.....? After all they are mere people who have chosen the path of entertaining others, maybe they should entertain themselves better. Says me drunk little woman but trying her damndest to get better..... The biggest shock to me was Michael Jackson, I just felt poor guy.... Poor kids.... Somehow for all the celebrity that goes on, behind the scenes I reckon there is a bigger network ruled by money and the celebrity is only the cash cow, hence the need to be addicted. Thank god I have a normal life, just annoying farmers.... Mind you they may be the wrong ones to annoy. Liked your post....

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

SG,

Hi. How are you doing?

I am sorry, I don't know who Vince was. I was trying to Google but a first name, death and singer just didn't pull up anything useful.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

Just, thanks for bringing up Grace's post again. I've been away, and not posting much these days, but for someone in Grace's position, work, and oddly because of the people I know, the life of a celebrity is completely different when it comes to addictive behaviours. There's almost a symbiotic, or parasitic, reltationship with those who hang on the fringes to be part of the 'party', and they will provide ANYTHING the celebrity wants. They also tell the person how they are the center of the universe, above the 'little people'. There are some fabulous rewards for fame and riches, but there are some huge costs. I can't 'choose' to be a celebrity, and I don't think I'd like it, actually. Look at the devastation, addiction, death, brought on by absolute power. So, no matter where we are in life, we can find an 'excuse' to drink, but no explanation.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

i do think this needs debate

I am glad Grace brought it up and so glad to Cinders and Ruby Willow for reiterating their thoughts. I think, deep down inside all of us wants to be celebrities, to be known, to be respected and to be admired. All of us. It is in our human nature. I know I wanted to be a singer, but never quite fulfilled it. I was a child at the time, but nonetheless. The mircophone and the mirror brings back fond memories of when life was just a dream. How I loved running home to play Abba, so sad was my life.... How many children will run home to play Lady Gaga (and marvellous she is I may add!!!) The reality is so different. Irrespective of whether I can sing, and actually I can, but would never dream of standing in queues to prove it. My life is different to that, but such is the need for celebrity.... The bottle was a poor replacement, but truth, must always be said if we need to get better. I WILL GET BETTER!!! WE CAN GET BETTER.... Is it not funny though that we read and we read and celebrities are in our face, only humans' after all and we try to emulate them? I know if I am bored I will buy a magazine, not cos I am a fan, but because I am bored.... I never quite managed Madonna who is someone I greatly admire.... There again what is addiction? for she is addicted to exercise, but a far greater person than I am. At least I think she is..... There again I am not sure she is... Do you get my gist???? Who knows what goes on.? I just look at poor Michael Jackson and I do say poor as I feel he was a victim. A total addict, unable to cope with the pressures and adulation that was placed on him and then needing to perform, like some kind of monkey. That is in no way reference to his colour, more to do with what a cash cow does. Then it became apparant he could not, then he ended up dead. Makes you think, we all think and collectively we should? Yep he was murdered, but who by? By those who stand to lose so much. So celebrity is a culture that quite frankly I am glad I am not involved in it. To be able to reach out and chat without meeting each other and share words, means we are reaching each other as humans should. Such is technology. We are humans and so are they, it is just the worship we place on them. I hope I do not.... I know I am deep, but I need to be as I need to get better and I must express myself and I am a writer..... Hence my ramblings.... Money, fame, success, it really boils down to how you determine success. Let us pity those unfortunate souls who feel such need to prove themselves. Let us all get better together, for they have less friends than we do, how bitchy that game must me.... Mind you, I again go back to the farmer who is now gunning for me, you have no idea what I did when drunk.... i have to share this with you all now. Last night in my drunken stupor I came to the conclusion that I was going to release 10 bulls into the Yorkshire countryside, I did not think beyond anything. I did not. I felt go open the door and let them out. Thankfully, I was too drunk to do that. I would be an infamous person by now in my community and the bulls would be splattered. A bull run in Yorkshire, not such a good idea... Such is good. We must always be good to ourselves. She aint a happy bunny, but I am learning to be cool.... lol:l Does that make any sense????? Celbrity I am a celebrity... only kidding.... lol

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

G'day JFT, and welcome,

Madonna is not a far greater person than you are, nor is anyone else. I enjoyed reading your post's. Thankyou.

Best wishes on your journey, and take care. The 'toolbox' thread in 'monthly abstinence' section is essential reading.....;-)

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

JFT, so good to hear from you. No, loose bulls (I live in the country!) are not good. See what AL does to our thinking? Go ahead, get your sobriety, then go for your dreams!! Sing, compete, but live a life that is making you happy and not cringe the next day. We can only read our dreams sober.
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

I am not sure who Vince is either.. but many famous ppl have lost their lives to suicide or addiction.. such as Marilyn Monroe.. she suffered with her demons.. it is very sad, but it seems a part of the 'human condition'; to fight demons.. thankfully, nowadays there is more knowledge about mental issues, and addiction issues.. and places like MWO that really help! If it wasnt for this place I dont know where I would be, many have to suffer alone -and I did suffer alone for many many years.. until I found this wonderful place, where we can all help each other and understand each other..
                Katie x
                "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

Vince Gill - go rest high on that mountain.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Addiction and Celebrity

I have loved that thread

It is so lovely to read peoples' words. I have in my bid to be free of alcohol checked out a site (cannot remember the name) of famous people who have died due to alcohol. I was quite shocked, I think Mili Vanilli (if that is the right name) shocked me most. I had no idea. Let us not be statistics, let us be the ones who succeed. I know I soooo want to do this thing, to beat it. I hang onto those celebrities who have beaten the demon, like Anthony Hopkins, Gary Oldman, Lady Gaga,. Liza Minelli, Robin Williams. And thanks Guitarista for your welcome, it is appreciated. I am buying a guitar and learning to play... I tried AA and NA and failed dismally and thought 'my god I am going to die', but you all give me a shred of hope. After each AA meeting listening to people whittering on the only thing I wanted to do was drink. Also thanks Ruby Willow, I know you are so right, I was just so thankful that I did not go and let the bulls out, but it was so real, it shocked me. It would have been carnage for them and for me. You are right alcohol does so affect our minds. Curse the damned stuff......

Comment

Working...
                    X