Learning to cook without wine!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my love of cooking is what really got my tastes buds going with wine. I would love nothing more than studying recipes, matching them with wines and entertaining people. I would get all my ingredients ready pour myself a glass and off I would go for hours sometimes creating the perfect dinner, but as you can imagine as the years went on that glass turned out to be a bottle before I put the dinner on the plate!! So its hard sometimes to think of cooking nice dinners without wine. I am not worried about wine being in the recipe I'm just worried it won't make it in it :H:H:H - these are my thoughts as I sit here ready to do the Sunday Dinner for this evening - fortunately I have chosen a Moroccan Lamb Tagine which does not require any alcohol, but would go nice with a glass of red BUT NOT FOR ME :H:H
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Panno, that's how it all started for me. Drinking wine while cooking dinnner.....they go hand and hand. Today I'm not cooking so I am so happy about that. It's just that my sister, brother, b-inlaw, nieces, nephews, will ALL be drinking. My mom will have her "one" glass So my husband and I (and my two boys) will be the only ones not drinking.....sweet !

Good luck on your wineless dinner tonight ! Happy Mother's Day !
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Tonight, same for me. I will be going to my sister's with a mixed bag of drinkers and non-drinkers. Luckily with this group it is not really even an issue, some do, some don't....we all seem to laugh a lot and have a good time. When I was drinking, not so much as my drinking was to such excess it usually got embarrassing or sloppy on my part....Best part is, now I remember everything that happened and what I actually ate too!! lol
      AF since April 19, 2010
      NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
      -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Panno,
        What you speak of is something that is VERY common for women (and some men!!) - there is nothing more relaxing and fun with drinking a glass or 2 of wine when making dinner.. however the problem like you mention, is when you drink more and more.. I used to love doing the same, but now I cannot trust myself to keep AL in the house as it is on my mind the whole time and i end up drinking it all!
        So, I have now learnt to cook without drinking.. which actually feels better with a clear head! and I can enjoy my son more, as the AL would make me so tired and demotivated! you know you are doing the right thing.. a glass of water when cooking is much healthier too!
        Katie xxx
        "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Hear hear Katie! Sounds just like I used to be.
          I still have alcohol in the house but use it only for cooking... I have a bottle of sherry that's about 4 years old! Only use it for some asian recipes. Fortunately for me, alcohol no longer has any great importance for me. i am indeed a lucky person.

Comment

DITTO!!

The dinner prep time was my witching hour too.

I'll just have a nice glass while I'm preparing the dinner...... damn it there's just a dribble left,
            oh well I might as well finish it then I can throw the bottle away and no-one u'll know.

Then by the time I went to bed I would not know what we had for dinner having been lousy company all nite cos I was too loaded to keep my eyes open.

Can't say as I miss that really.
            Happy to be back

Comment

Aaah Panno, How true.Sat we cooked a Lamb Leg for over 10 hrs slowly in a slow cooker with a bottle of red wine thrown in for good measure........the only regret is I can barely remember what it tasted like! Would have been much more pleasant if I wasn't so sloshed! :upset:

Comment

Working...
              X