Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why did i never drink at social gatherings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have many trigger points that im well aware of!!
    i never drank at social gatherings(ie weddings,gala or fetes,etc etc)
    i sat in my house and would drink myself into oblivion though
    could anyone relate to this or tell me why i wouldnt drink there
    it puzzles my friends and family
    ps im a happy alcoholic im not agressive argumentive or show myself up
    so i know thats not the reason
    i cant fathom it out
    :thanks:
    benny my best friend

In my later drinking years I was not very successful at this. But I WANTED to not drink or minimize drinking at public functions because I didn't want anyone to know my dirty little secret. (that I had a major drinking problem) I liked to keep the volume of my drinking to myself. Today I recognize that as a problem - just part of the huge pile of lies and deceptions that characterized my drinking life.

That's the "why" for me anyway.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

springer.. I guess the best reason would be that you were afraid.. afraid of making a fool of yourself when drunk as you could not control your drinking.. as many of us can attest - we have indeed made complete fools of ourselves drunk and done or said many regretful things..you obviously had the vision of yourself doing this so you would not drink at social events.. which is a good and bad thing - as drinking by yourself at home, you may not make a public spectacle of yourself, but it is not healthy emotionally or physically.. its good that you have insight now and can see what you were doing and now want help..
      Katie xxx
      "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Springer, Sometimes I am the same wont touch a drop at social events........ only because I KNOW I would only become horribly drunk and dont want to make a bigger fool of myself.

Comment

Springer, i was an at home drinker. Would have one or two out or at family gatherings, but never get drunk. Waited till I got home to have a few more to finish off the night. Other nights I would just drink at home after work or on weekends.
          Didn't want anyone to know I guess.
          You are not alone.

Winefree

Comment

Mostly drank alone at home too for the same reasons. Afraid to lose control and make an ass of myself yet one more time so easier just to drink at home alone. :upset: Wow, and not missing it at all!
            AF since April 19, 2010
            NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
            -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

Interesting thread... In the last couple of years I would drink a few drinks before going out and then maybe one after coming home. I didn't want people to see how much I was drinking. So, it looked like I had only one or 2 glasses of wine at dinner. The truth was, the next day I wouldn't really remember what I ate and what we talked about, feeling hungover. My husband would then think that I was a lightweight... how stupid of me ... who did I think I was fooling?

Last Saturday, I had nothing to drink when we went out to dinner with 2 other couples. Everyone else had only one glass of something. To tell you the truth...it wasn't fun. Conversation didn't flow smoothly and the evening seemed to last too long. I remember everything, but didn't have fun. That sucks! Was it the alcohol that made me think I used to have fun, or were these people really no fun?

We just moved here so we're still trying to make friends. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Comment

Yep, LookingF, I reckon things definitely (specially dinner parties) seemed much more fun and sort of spontaneous with alcohol - might as well call a spade a spade, reckon I can just do without dinnerparties?

In reply to the original post, I didn't like drinking socially cos NO ONE bar No One drank at the speed I did. Everyone would get poured a glass of wine and mine would literally empty in one go, never even touched the sides of my mouth!
                Molly
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

I never drank outside my home either. I guess it's for the same reason other people have mentioned, didn't want to make a fool of myself (I managed to do enough of that at home...texts, emails, phone calls, etc.). Plus, I never would have been happy with having 1 or 2 beers while out. Nope, I'd wait until I got home to drink that whole 12 pack. It's such a relief to not rush through social gatherings so I can get home to drink. Being AF has opened up a lot of doors and I enjoy things so much more.
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                  X