Taking one Antabuse every Monday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And drinking friday, saturday and sunday?

What do you think? A lot better than drinking everyday year round, isn't it?

Scan,

I tried this for a while and thought it was working OK for me. Then, I had a liver test. What a wake up call! Antabuse wreaks havoc on your liver, even if you're only drinking one, or two days a week. My advice is don't take antabuse if you're going to drink, no matter the amount.

Comment

Seriously?!? Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

more 2 life

does antabuse cause liver damage even if we avoid alcohol?
        The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

yip. I can confirm this!

I've taken Antabuse on and off for a year and a half. Taken Antabuse and drinking is extremely dangerous. That's the whole poit you take it in first place. You aren't supposed to drink. It usually takes up to 14 days to fully clear out of your system. Even if you have little reaction. The damage to the liver is done!!!
          AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

johnnyh;855571 wrote: yip. I can confirm this!

I've taken Antabuse on and off for a year and a half. Taken Antabuse and drinking is extremely dangerous. That's the whole poit you take it in first place. You aren't supposed to drink. It usually takes up to 14 days to fully clear out of your system. Even if you have little reaction. The damage to the liver is done!!!
            but johnny i am using it and not drinking. is this still damaging my liver or is it only when you add alcohol (which i have no intention of doing!)

?
            The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

Comment

Hi Girly, Sorry, should have quoted. Was responding to Scandinavian's post.

Antabuse does have some effect on the liver, I think (seem to remember having read it). However probably far less then AL! I would however consult your physician before taking Antabuse, especially if you have problems with your liver.
              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Hi Scandinavian,

You're playing with fire. If you're determined to drink (and that does seem to be your plan), Antabuse isn't the drug for you.
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

johnnyh;855604 wrote: Hi Girly, Sorry, should have quoted. Was responding to Scandinavian's post.

Antabuse does have some effect on the liver, I think (seem to remember having read it). However probably far less then AL! I would however consult your physician before taking Antabuse, especially if you have problems with your liver.
                  Hi Girly,

Johnnyh is right on the money there.

I asked a doctor for these a couple of years ago and he would not prescribe it until after a blood test as taken on top of Liver damage does further damage.

I was not committed enough and never followed it thru
                  Happy to be back

Comment

Do NOT drink while taking Antabuse, period.
                    Like Marshy said, if you are not committed to being alcohol free, Antabuse is not for you.
                    I have been taking Antabuse for 42 days and am completely alcohol free. Not only that, you have to be careful not to use any over-the-counter products containing alcohol.
                    Can I ask why you are even bothering taking Antabuse?
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I get what Scandinavian is talking about. We had discussions about this last year in the meds section as well. Supposedly if you take one Antabuse once off. You will have medium to severe reactions when consuming AL but those lessen and disappear within 4-5 days or so. So tecnically you could take an Antabuse, not be able to drink but on the 6th -7th day have a drink again without a reaction. Start the same cycle again on Mondays. So the idea is to moderate that way.

Well as well contemplated above that isn't a good idea at all Scandinavian. Really don't even think of giving it a shot. There's other methods and meds if you want to try the modding route. However, I can only recommend going all the way and taking the Antabuse full time. It's worked wonders with me. It takes the edge off going AF as you don't really have the power to make a decision.
                      AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Scandinavian, I agree with previous posters, the point of Antabuse is to to prevent people drinking altogether, not sure about the liver damage and stuff but I do know I drank once after about a week after taking Antabuse and my body was in bits so it has to be bad for you.
                        Do think about it
                        Molly
                        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

hmm i'm thinking about stopping my antabuse now as the whole liver damage thing is scary, but thats a whole new thread. i don't drink with it and don't intend to, but no-one seems to know if it will do damage to the liver even whilst avoiding al? i need to do some thinking and then post for some advice i think? if i do come off it will i be strong enough to abstain? i'm on day 10 now and so proud. then ill have get to 24 days af before i can even consider al. do i want to risk throwing almost one months sobriety away? will 24 days be long enough to convince me to keep going?

hmmm. need to think x

Comment

You say that the point of Antabuse is to make people stop drinking alltogether. Why couldn't it help me stop drinking on weekdays? I understand that the general opinion of this board is that you should not drink anything at all, but as of now I just want to stop drinking everyday.

If i take 1/2 200mg antabuse every monday, and drink in the weekends, will the amount of Antabuse in my system cause harm for my liver?

(You can read behind the lines how much I like to drink )

Comment

Scandinavian;856234 wrote: You say that the point of Antabuse is to make people stop drinking alltogether. Why couldn't it help me stop drinking on weekdays? I understand that the general opinion of this board is that you should not drink anything at all, but as of now I just want to stop drinking everyday.

If i take 1/2 200mg antabuse every monday, and drink in the weekends, will the amount of Antabuse in my system cause harm for my liver?

(You can read behind the lines how much I like to drink )
                              250mg's of Antabuse can stay in your system for up to two weeks. Let's assume that half of that would stay in your system for one week. You are playing a dangerous game by taking any amount of Antabuse if you plan on continuing to drink. The purpose of Antabuse is to help people continually stay alcohol free, not just on weekends. Please be careful.
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X