Taking one Antabuse every Monday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLUS every drink you take sets off your addiction centres in your brain therefore pre-empting further cravings. So you end up putting yourself in that drink-craving-drink cycle with Antabuse thrown in the mix. At what point to you end up drinking 12 hours early "it should be ok", then 24 hours early, then with the AB or not bothering to take the AB as you are going to drink on other days.

If you need can't go 4-5 days without a drink then you need to stop FULL STOP.

Comment

Quitting drinking isn't an option for me. Its sad but its true. In the future it might be different but as of now I will drink on weekends.

I have two options:

1. Drink every day all year round year after year
      2. Take 100mg antabuse every monday and drink lots of beer in the weekends

If I don't take Antabuse then option one is the only option.

I understand that I should quit completely, but I know that's not going to happen now. I must be realistic here.

Comment

If that is your only option I wish you luck because either way you are possibly playing a very dangerous game with your life. By the way if you drink "lots of alcohol at weekends" then AL is likely to be still in your body the Monday when you take your AB again. I would not like to think what that is going to do to you.

Comment

Sometimes I have bad thoughts spinning around in my hear. Alcohol makes me sleep without laying in bed for several minutes and thus I don't have the time for those thought-loops.

I need help, I know that, but my question is quite simple:

"If I take 100mg of antabuse at lunchtime every monday and drink in the weekends, will the antabuse/alcohol reaction hurt my liver?".

The question is as easy as that. If someone know the answer please respond.

Once again I am aware that I have major problems and need help, but I just want the above question answered for now. Thank you.

Comment

Only a Doctor can answer that but from what I've read it will hurt you. I have trouble with the same thoughts and using alcohol is not the answer, it only makes them worse in the long-term.

Comment

Scandinavian;856473 wrote: Sometimes I have bad thoughts spinning around in my hear. Alcohol makes me sleep without laying in bed for several minutes and thus I don't have the time for those thought-loops.

I need help, I know that, but my question is quite simple:

"If I take 100mg of antabuse at lunchtime every monday and drink in the weekends, will the antabuse/alcohol reaction hurt my liver?".

The question is as easy as that. If someone know the answer please respond.

Once again I am aware that I have major problems and need help, but I just want the above question answered for now. Thank you.
              It will hurt you according to the packet insert. It says you shouldn't consume AL and can get reactions up to 14 days after taking Antabuse (Disulfiram). In what areads specifically a doctor has to explain to you.

Got speak to your GP. He can prescribe it to you if that's the way to go at the same time. My guess is that he won't let you do it.

Do you have a GP you trust?
              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Ukblonde;856472 wrote: If that is your only option I wish you luck because either way you are possibly playing a very dangerous game with your life. By the way if you drink "lots of alcohol at weekends" then AL is likely to be still in your body the Monday when you take your AB again. I would not like to think what that is going to do to you.
                Hello all. Having read this thread, I just want to add my two bits.
                UKblonde has a point here - I would be more concerned about the AL that is still in your body on the Monday since it generally takes at least 3 days for your body to detox. I once had a very bad reaction from taking a sleeping pill without having detoxed. I had no intention of drinking since I had been drinking for a few days, took the pill and went to bed. Sometime later, without knowing what I was doing, I got up in the night and drank half a bottle of liquor and had a snack. I didn't remember a thing the next day and wouldn't have remembered if I hadn't found the empty bottle and the dirty plate. So beware. Your body has to detox or you could be doing a lot of damage....
                Stirly
                Also, if you can go every night of the week without drinking and you can go to sleep in spite of the bad thoughts (we all have them, you have to train yourself to shut them out) - then why can't you do the same on the weekend?....just saying...
                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

First of all thanks to those that have replied to my thread.

Now as of AL being in my system on monday, it isn't. I know when I am sober because I have a breathalyzer.

Secondly, Antabuse can stay in your system for up to 14 days. That is if you take 250mg every day. I am planning on taking only 100mg one time and drinking after four to five days.

Comment

You really need to consult a DR many have probably not posted because they aren't qualified to give an opinion. Although there are recommendations for taking meds here they are mostly based on complete abstinence - or meds that don't react with AL directly, AB does.

You could try this in the meds section but really I wouldn't tell anyone to go ahead with such a plan without medical supervision.

Comment

You can do it and get away with it short term - but acedelhyde spelling incorrect) is a major carsogenic, do you really want to have liver cancer later in life. It is a horrible way to die. Do all the research you can. I did exactly what you want to do - untill I did proper research and realized that I'll end up with liver cancer.
                      make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Scan,
                        I've just read back through this thread and some of your old posts. Where did you get the antabuse and the breathalyzer from. I get the impression that you do not have a doctor's approval and have bought these through the internet

You seem as if you are asking for our approval to say 'Yay' what a great plan, we can only give advice which you are clearly not listening to.

I would post this question again in the meds section.
                        It could be worse, I could be filing.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                        X