Oprah - Women, Food and God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone watch Oprah yesterday? She had an author on who wrote a book about womens' relationship with food and the "spiritual aspect". Even though I don't believe I am much of an "emotional eater", I watched and couldn't help drawing the comparisons between alcohol and overeating.

The author was very interesting (actually the few words she got to interject were, Oprah basically took over and explained the author's work to the audience to educate us.... but that's another story) The basic premise of the book is that we eat to block out uncomfortable feelings (fear, boredom, lonliness, self hate, etc.... sound familiar?) We we eat, we numb ourselves and feel nothing for awhile, but eating makes it worse actually doubles, or triples or quadruples our problems.

The solution is the learn to live and experience our feelings and realize that we can survive feeling them. The feelings and problems maybe a gateway to actually changing things and leading to a more spiritual existence. A big thing was also treating yourself with kindness and not shaming yourself into doing better - it never works.

It reminds me of the budist monk Pema Chodron's work. (which I really recommend) Currently I am reading "Comfortable with Uncertainty" and listening to "When Things Fall Apart." Same kind of philosophy... learning not to numb out but how to experience what you are feeling.... I've tried to avoid all of my uncomfortable feelings for over 20 years, ranging from slight boredom to total devastation over a loss through alcohol instead of food. Starting to actually experience everything is scary at first, but it can be done.

Great analogy, Look. IMHO, there's a lot of 'which came first, the chicken or the egg' thinking when we're trying to understand our excesses. It's important to understand our triggers, and be ready to resist them.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I didn't see it but I know what she means. Dealing with all the feelings that pop into your head when you have some AF time in can be difficult. I've been on and off antabuse for a couple years and sometimes when I'm on it and can't drink the thoughts and feelings just about drive me mad. I spend alot of time walking to try and sort it all out or sometimes just laying around in the hammock thinking about whatever. Its frightening to be so awake. I just keep telling myself everythings OK.

Comment

Hi, LookingForPeace. I thing you'd love the book "Radical Acceptance" by Tara Brach. She teaches people (from a Buddhist perspective) to experience the here and now, bit by bit... so we don't have to escape into virtual realities like food, sex, drugs, alcohol, etc, etc.

Comment

Crowgirl, Thanks for recommending "Radical Acceptance", I think I have it from my old yoga teaching days. I will have to dig it up. I am very interested in the general message. I have to learn to deal with every uncomfortable feeling instead to trying to numb it. I have found that since I cut way back on drinking that I am replacing it with internet, TV, some food in order to escape. I don't want to just replace one addiction for another, I want to learn to really live through my feelings.

I actually bought the Oprah book and will let you know if there are any new insight once I read it.

Comment

i completley agree before my alcoholism i was an overeater. so, everytime i stop drinking for awhile, i end up overeating again, but when im drinking nightly, i never ever have a problem wtih food. im using alcohol in those times so dont need the food, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X