Do I hate myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I hate myself?

:new: I have been battling alcohol for most of my life. I was encouraged to drink by my father, who, incidentally, was an alcoholic. It didn't start off in big ways, just a sip here and there, but by age 16, I was a big drinker. Not every day, but a true binge drinker on the weekends. And from there it progressed and progressed until the here and now.

I have managed to stop for periods of time. The longest was 3 months, before I decided that I needed it again. I know I don't need it. I want it. And yet, I don't want it. Confusing brain talk. I tell myself that if I just have a little drink, then I will be able to concentrate on what I'm trying to do. In reality, what happens is that I do nothing at all, but drink.

Then I berate myself for not doing what needs to be done and I'm feeling too sick by then to do it. So, I berate myself for not getting anything done and if I just have another drink, I'll feel better ... and the cycle goes around.

When I don't drink, I feel so good. I actually remember things. I don't have to worry about driving anywhere. I do, however, as a matter of years of alcohol abuse, worry when I see a police car, even when I'm sober.

I have recently seen a psychologist who has told me I have a Borderline Personality Disorder of Negative Self Image, along with some evidence of OCD. I have asked the questions, but still don't know what this actually means.

I wonder if I drink because I hate myself?
    BeHappy

Do I hate myself?

Hiya dont, and a huge welcome to you.
    I work in the mental health field and know that an awful lot of people with mental health problems self medicate to relieve their symptoms.
    Do you have any Mental health support groupls where you live? If you are in the UK I can help you here.
    Knowing about your condition and getting the appropriate treatment may go a long way to help you with your alcohol problem.
    Keep in touch, there is help out there.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Hi Starting and please don't call me don't. Do might be better, or happy?. Should have thought of that before I picked my name maybe? Don't sounds so negative. I live in Australia and since I've only just found out about my problems, I don't know. But thanks for suggesting the help from you in the UK.
      BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

No worries Happy!
        Guitarista works in the mental health fiield in Australia. He might be able to give you some advice.

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Who is Guitarista please?
          BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

He is a lovely wonderful musician who has also battled the booze successfully and turned his own life around over the last couple of years.
            He will help you for sure.
            I expect he will be online later. But you could also drop him a PM (private message)

Comment

Do I hate myself?

He wouldn't know me, tho. I wouldn't like to bother him.
              BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Thats the beauty of this place. We are all here to help each other.
                I will drop him a pm and direct him to you and your thread.

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Oh, thankyou, Starting. Since I asked you to call me by a different name than you did at first, do you have a preference?
                  BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

No probs.
                    You can call me whatever you like. Most people call me Starty though :-)

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Okay, Starty it is. Thanks for being such a great introduction to MWO. I've got tears in my eyes.
                      BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

I felt that way when I first stumbled onto this site (literally!)
                        Lots of help here Happy, you are certainly not alone.
                        See you later x

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Thankxxx
                          BeHappy

Comment

Do I hate myself?

If you go to the thread titled 'Underoos and Friends' you will find all the Aussies.
                            Then we can put our heads together and find you some help.
                            Bridget
                            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Do I hate myself?

Thanks Bridget. Okay, I will go there now.
                              BeHappy

Comment

Working...
                              X