Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

niacin therapy

has anyone tried niacin therapy?
    ive read some research on this B-3 vitamin and it looks to have some promise dealing with anxiety and depression.and if anyone has tried it is niacinamide the same as niacin?
    i know niacin is used to treat high colesterol but is it ok to use niacinamide.i dont like the "niacin flush".thanks for any info

niacin therapy

Hi I read recently about Niacin being helpfull for cutting down drinking as it seems to reduce the desire to drink and also the capacity to drink a lot. In the book 7 weeks to sobriety it is part of the paranoia formula.
    The article mentioned 2grams at a time. I tried just 100mg and the flush was awfull, I went red all over and really hot and itchy. (the person who told me tried the 2grams in one go and had an awfull experience too) I keep meaning to try at a lower dose but haven't braved it yet.
    I have also read that niacinamide is the same with out the flush but that with out the flush you don't know that you have taken as much as your body can cope with at the time.
    One site I found said that the flush is important as it opens the capillaries and helps with clearing toxins out of the body.
    Good luck
    Suz
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

niacin therapy

niacin therapy

thanks suz
      its my understanding that you have to titrate up from a small dose until you get to a no flush level and then add some more
      so it would be 100mg for a few days and then add another 100mg and so until you reach 1 gram but is it woth the time and cost is what im curious about

Comment

niacin therapy

Surfer2 be careful! Niacin in doses greater than a gram can cause liver problems. it is however an important suppliment and there is a different form of it called IHN (inositol hexanicotinate) that won't give you the "flush" problem. IHN also does not cause liver irritation. it's been clinicaly shown to reverse schizophrenia and helps with anxiety. Take it with a meal and with the rest of the B vitamins for maximum efficiency. I'd try a100mg and work up from there just to make sure all is ok.

Niacinimide has been used to treat alcoholism to great effect and recommended doses are anywhere from 300mg to 2 grams daily. (once again I'd work up to be safe). I'm not an expert on this, my source is the excellent "vita-nutrient solution" by Dr Robert Atkins.

he also suggests glutamine in 4 gram doses to curb cravings...works for me. and it works fast.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

niacin therapy

surfer;

I started taking Niacin about a month ago. I don't take it everyday, but when I do, I don't really notice anything different.

Brandy

Comment

niacin therapy

niacin therapy

thanks determinator
            i love that name by the way
            that is very useful info
            i have some IHN from swanson nutrition but i was reluctant to take it because of the confusion i encountered when i did my research.and yes i was also wary about taking pure niacin
            thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X