Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A positive moment (I think)

Good Morning my friends,

My darling 15 (almost 16) year old daughter Sally came home last night with a truly broken teenage heart.

I had just received a phone call from her boyfriend (of 10 months) mother giving me a heads up that Sal was very upset, the kids had broken up that day at school.
    Her son was crying and feeling lousy as he had made the break.

They weren't fighting but the relationship was become too intense for teens.
    They are both very sensible kids and it was a nice relationship,
    they were not living in each others pockets and only saw each other occasionally outside of school.

When Sally got home I could see that she was emotional but she was not ready to talk,
    opting to go straight to her bed.
    She stayed quietly in there for 3 hours and I just popped in occasionally and gave her a hug.

She didn't want to talk about it and didn't want dinner so I just left her in her thoughts.

She ventured downstairs about 7.30, having freshened her face and sat having a cuddle and then her dinner before returning to bed at 9pm.

We had a little chat about it this morning and she will be ok.

The positive here is that the old AL affected mum would have pushed her into talking and stayed in her face until she did,
    probably even coming up with a bunch of useless suggestions and solutions resulting in us ending up in an unhelpful argument.

My point is that with a clear head I supported her and allowed her the space to bring herself back downstairs rather than be a complete pain in the a**e and I like the way I feel today, and I remember the evening rather than having to wonder what stupid things I said last night.

I'm loving the 'new AF me'
    Happy to be back

Good for you. And even better for her!!!!!!

Comment

That is wonderful for both of you.

Comment

Jac, it is SO wonderful to experience life, especially with our children when they need us. You and I know her pain right now is fleeting, but she doesn't, and the way you handled it was superb. THAT is something she (and you) will never forget. I've been there, like what I've been going through the last 2 days with my grandson, and they will never forget the warmth and compassion we give them. Great job.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Jacq - warm fuzzies here. Be proud.

Comment

Good on you Jaq. Nice when we can really enjoy our kids. They're gone too soon.
            And I bet she's more likely to let you in now too.
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Jacq even though I am a bloke I understand exactly fully where you are coming from. Lovely that you were there totally sober for her and how marvelous you two have such a great relationship at what is undoubtably a difficult age for her.
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi Jac
                Lovely story, thanks for sharing. It's great to hear some positive news about being AF and your ability to make the right choice about how you treat others, especially your own family. Keep up the great work. You did awesome!

H
                Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Well done Jac. It's amazing what being sober does actually allow. I am sure your daughter appreciates the new you.
                  Hippy Chick
                  I finally got it!
                  "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

that's great hun. i bet you have lots more bonding moments like this from now on. well done, great parenting. enjoy these special sober moments xx
                    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Fantastic Jacq,

I bet your daughter is very proud of you, as you are of her.. xxx

ps..I remember the pain of teenage love...horrific!
                      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

JACQRABBIT;862469 wrote: Good Morning my friends,

My darling 15 (almost 16) year old daughter Sally came home last night with a truly broken teenage heart.

I had just received a phone call from her boyfriend (of 10 months) mother giving me a heads up that Sal was very upset, the kids had broken up that day at school.
                        Her son was crying and feeling lousy as he had made the break.

They weren't fighting but the relationship was become too intense for teens.
                        They are both very sensible kids and it was a nice relationship,
                        they were not living in each others pockets and only saw each other occasionally outside of school.

When Sally got home I could see that she was emotional but she was not ready to talk,
                        opting to go straight to her bed.
                        She stayed quietly in there for 3 hours and I just popped in occasionally and gave her a hug.

She didn't want to talk about it and didn't want dinner so I just left her in her thoughts.

She ventured downstairs about 7.30, having freshened her face and sat having a cuddle and then her dinner before returning to bed at 9pm.

We had a little chat about it this morning and she will be ok.

The positive here is that the old AL affected mum would have pushed her into talking and stayed in her face until she did,
                        probably even coming up with a bunch of useless suggestions and solutions resulting in us ending up in an unhelpful argument.

My point is that with a clear head I supported her and allowed her the space to bring herself back downstairs rather than be a complete pain in the a**e and I like the way I feel today, and I remember the evening rather than having to wonder what stupid things I said last night.

I'm loving the 'new AF me'
                        Great stuff Jac,

This is what it's all about.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

JacQ

What a great Mom you are. This was a wonderful story. Although your daughter is getting through a sad time the connection and sharing communication is very positive and she will remember this and love you even more because of it.
                          The AF you is a fantastic you!

Comment

Working...
                          X