The Banned Bull-sheish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Banned Bull-sheish

Gotta say, I don't get this - the Banned BS - truly. This is an online pubic forum where people can be whatever id they choose. How is a 'Ban" part of this?

People come, people go. Some offer goodness, some obstruct, others embrace - Choose your method and take it home.

Don't get it at all.

Not really Hidden

The Banned Bull-sheish

I thought this was a forum related to alcoholic issues not a "pubic forum". Do I have to start sharing now about my pubic hair problem as well? Oh the SHAME! I better go and have a drink!! lol

Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Right, Spam. Notwithstanding the funny typo, people come here for help, support, understanding, and a place to feel accepted. When someone comes in to attack, berate, curse, they are disruptive and hurtful. Those of us with AL problems have thin skins; we already carry our shame, and the judgement of others. This should be a haven. If someone isn't trying to solve a problem, they're part of it. So, YES, I'll support my friends, or newcomers, who are honest in why they come here. If you want confrontation, there's a whole big cyber-world out there to pitch your battles. Name-calling, slander, attacks have no place here.
      And the moderators do a GREAT job. If you're banned under your screen name, you can get back in. But people here aren't stupid. Like putting lipstick on a pitbull, the looks may change, but the words and actions tell the tale. It's a shame people need babysitters, but we obviously do.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

finished and closed

I was so happy to see the "Feck off pan" thread removed..

it had run it course, and really hoped that calm and sensitivity and the purpose of this site had returned...

I did write to RJ and I imagine others did too..

Goodness sake let this stop, and return to the pure nature and reason for MWO is so wonderfully intended..!!
        (with it's public forum for all that truly need it and not abuse it..!)

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

This is a safe haven. And it has helped me more than anything. It has changed my life. Thank you MWO.

I must say, I did read the thread and did post once. and felt bad after. Glad it's gone too. The English language is enormous. We can cetainly get our views across without the using certain words.

Great points Spam, Sheri, Ruby LJ - this site is to help and provide kind support. If people want to be hurtful go find another site.

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

I agree with everyone. It seems like some one comes in every few weeks and tries to get a rise out of us and I dont care for it. I once reacted but I have come to realize that it is best just to ignore those that just want attention. I am here for support, and to support, that is it. I am not here to engage in any "Drama" or help some one abuse the good people that genuinely want to find a way out. A word of advice - if you have an issue with anyone on here or something they said - PM them and address it one on one. Dont bring the whole site into it. New people should know the real purpose of this site.

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

I have read the threads involved in this topic. I can understand the different points of view. MWO is primarily a place for information and support of learning to live without addicition, primarily addiction to alcohol. Many people that come here are drunk or under the influence and that can cause some difficult behaviors to deal with. Though abuse is never acceptable, we do need to learn tolerance.

From time to time members also have differing view points on what support looks like. Some of us take a stronger stance than others. Some member prefer the "soft approach", others of us take a no nonsense approach. We are free to pick and choose what works for us. If somone is "thinned skin" and becomes easily offended, perhaps they need to learn to deal with differing approaches, and perhaps ignore what they find difficult to deal with. We are not children, we are adults that need to learn to deal with life on life's terms without alcohol. We are adults that need to take responsibility for our own feelings and how we deal with others. We need to accept that we will not always be coddled and that when things get tough, we can push through without alcohol and without always getting our own way.

This is just my point of view, of course you are free to take it or leave it!

Best Wishes to All!
              Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

> They are not banned for voicing a difference of opinion...

That's not true. Ask me how!

> As just ONE example, Pan (using one of her many names) attacked one of my friends, stating she was a "bitch" and had "ruined her fucking life". Why should any member have to read this about themselves?

On the other hand, how could anyone take it seriously? Unless Pan knows your friend in real-life (or close to it), why would she (the friend) take it personally? I've been called ignorant (and, amusingly, accused of using big words as condescension...in the same posting). I've been accused of being mentally ill and needing professional help. If someone I _know_ (or a stranger looming over me) were to say that, it might mean something. From an anonymous screecher -- and a clearly loopy one at that -- it's just silly.

If you were walking down the street, picked up a scrap of paper, and found "fuck you, you moron" scribbled on the backside, would you take it personally? Pan (et via aliases) may need help, but it sounds like her utterances don't have any more personal direction than that scrap of paper. You can take the calumny as a sign of distress in the author, but you (or your friend, or you on behalf of your friend) shouldn't take it as a personal attack or threat.

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Oh my.....for clarity, I wasn't 'referring' to anything specific, any particular thread, or any identity. But I was referring to the notion of 'being banned' from an internet forum where identities are intangible. Over my years here, there have been numerous 'bannings': suspected bannings, banning accusations, unproven 'banned' labels, banning attempts, banning threats, banned name calling, banning temptations and I find that amusing.

Administrative 'moderating' of a site is, perhaps, important and I suspect there are rare occasions where 'banning' abusive and violent behavior is purposeful. I started this thread just to make the comment on the way the word banning gets thrown around here - it is truly amusing to me because this site is
                  a 'public' site on the world wide web where anyone is able to register and participate.

Again, my intention was merely to comment on the notion of being 'banned' from the web and to see what other thoughts might be on the topic. It was not meant as a comment on any thread or specific situation. Its interesting how these things grow, don't you think?

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Ask an alcoholic for the time and he'll build you a clock! Sensitive bunch we alkies aren't we? :H

Many Blessings
                    Phil
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Nice one Hippy!! What time is it? HAHA!!!
                      Molly
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Give me a couple of hours Molly and I'll get back to you with a nice shiny carriage clock made of gold!

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Your right on KateH1.......IAD
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

Just to clarify, there are two options for "banning" people. You can be banned according to your user name (which is easily changeable), or the administrator can ban your whole IP address, which means you or anyone using your computer would be unable to even log onto the site. If the persons in question are still being able to log on as different users, the administrators have obviously not chosen to block the whole IP, which is definitely do-able. That may be the next step if certain users persist in their actions.

Just sayin'.....
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The Banned Bull-sheish

hiddengoal;863217 wrote:

it is truly amusing to me because this site is a 'public' site on the world wide web where anyone is able to register and participate.
                              Again, not if your IP Address has been blocked. Sure, you could still get on, but you'd need to start over from a different computer. If that much energy is exerted just to antagonize people, alcohol is likely the least of many problems for that person...most of which none of us are probably qualified to deal with.
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X