Miracles Happen Everyday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracles Happen Everyday

I think we all must of reached a point in our lives when we said "No more! This is not the person I want to be". Whilst all my intentions were good, I could never quite manage to live up to the person I wanted to be. Whilst I thought the world was judging me by my intentions, they were in fact judging me by my actions. My actions and deeds is what make me who I am today. I can have all the great intentions in the world to get sober and become a better person, but if I'm not actually living those goals and experiencing life through sober eyes then I'm nothing more than a fraud and a fake.

Each and everyone us took the first steps of action when we made the decision to change our lives and find a better way of living than the one we had become so used to. For me that was a life completely obsessed with finding ways and means to deal with life through the use of substances.

Action is what is needed in order to stay sober as well. We cannot afford to simply change our ways then not continue to put action into our sobriety in order to live a wholesome life. I'll be the first to admit I can be such a lazy bastard at times. I almost have to force myself some days to just do the simplest of tasks, even though I know that will benefit my well being and spirit.

I've heard of 3 people in fellowship this week alone who have relapsed. 2 with 5 years sobriety and 1 with over 16 years sobriety. How did this happen? They stopped doing the things that were suggested. They stopped putting the action in.

So of course I'm inspired all the time when I read of members who have achieved some long term sobriety. There have been a few recent posts over the last few months marking this occasion. But I'm inspired also by those who have finally made that decision to take action and do something about their drinking. It's not an easy decision to make. Many of us have been in denial for years about our drinking and many of us needed a "rock bottom" before we did anything about it.

No one here is either better or worse off in their sobriety than the other as far as I'm concerned. What I am inspired by is people's determination to get well and change their lives for the better each and every day. So whether you're one day off a drink or 10 years off a drink; it makes no difference to me. One drink can send me right back to the depths of despair if I don't continue to put action in and live my sobriety. I chose to live that through the spiritual principles of Alcoholics Anonymous. Others here have their own methods I know. But I can only speak my truth and what's worked for me.

So keep putting the action in and do what's needed to keep yourself sober or moderate your drinking. It's no good posting about your intentions here if you're not gonna go out 'there' and live it and experience life. It will NOT work believe me. Reading all the self-help books and spiritually uplifting books will not keep you sober for long. I've tried it!

ACTION ACTION ACTION

Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Miracles Happen Everyday

Good post as usual Phil. Talk is cheap, it is actions that speak louder than words. It is indeed a full time job to maintain our sobriety, I am hoping, with time, this becomes easier.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
    William Shakespeare, Hamlet, 1600
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

A barking dog is often more useful than a sleeping lion. ~Washington Irving, adapted from a verse in the Bible.
      Good post phil,I before many times talked the talk and had great plans,but as usual all came to nothing,it was only when i was really serious about my problem and put that up there as my number one priority and took the action to help myself that i have succeeded,.....so far.

Never act until you have clearly answered the question: "What happens if I do nothing?" ~Robert Brault

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Thank's Phil,
        Facta non verba.....deed's not word's. I was, and still am a dreamer, the difference now i've stopped drinking, is i do. I act. A 'can do' bloke at last, walkin the talk!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Hi Phil,

Good post indeed. One of the lessons I have learned as well by now, You can't go to sleep. The beast is lurking and just waiting for you to be off guard to strike. When you're settlin in and think you're over it. You don't need your safeguards anymore, etc.

There is some truth in this saying as far as drinking goes, Keep your friends close, keep your enemys closer. Let him never get out of sight, because he's probably right behind you waiting for a week moment.
          AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

hippie37;864474 wrote: One drink can send me right back to the depths of despair if I don't continue to put action in and live my sobriety.

ACTION ACTION ACTION

Many Blessings
            Phil
            Thank you for this post Phil. This particular sentence really struck me. Each time we relapse, it can put us further into the depths of despair. On the flip side, each time we choose not to drink when the urge is there, is another small victory that builds are confidence and begins to heal our souls.

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!
            :lilheart:

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

love it thankx for sharing
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Thank you Phil....I needed to hear this...
                I am in the good intentions stage....need to get to the Action stage
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Brilliant Hippie!

You will come to know that what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove instead to be the greatest investment that you will ever make.
                  - Gorden B. Hinkley

To accomplish great things, we must not only dream, but act (Bill Blackman)

Meech

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Thank you Phil!

This reminds me of my personal mantra:

Creating my destiny by design
                    not by default

We do need to become masters of our mental energy
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Brilliant post, Phil and thank you.

Once I got rid of the idea that it wasn't the fault of my husband, neighbour, best friend ,some body looked at me sideways in the post office to name but a few and realized it was me and only me that picked up that first drink then I could begin to work on my sobriety.

So today I will be sober, tomorrow I may have to do a little work but so be it.

J x
                      :l
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Miracles Happen Everyday

Brilliant Phil, thank you ............ I start every morning with the 'just for today' prayer that was given to me at my 1st AA meeting .........

Miss you on facebook :l:l:l

Love & Hugs, BB xx
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                        X