Getting Honest With Yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a chronic relapser before I finally hit rock bottom. A few of those relapses I played out on the forum after the event with the intention of manipulating my friends here for the sympathy vote. I didn't want to have to admit to myself that I was back at day 1 every few months either. Why should I? I've worked hard to get this far; would be my usual thinking. Let's just call it a lapse and we'll forget all about it. I've learned from my mistakes so I'll continue to tell myself I'm doing OK. I was quite boastful at one point that I'd had 12 months sobriety (although not complete abstinence if you counted all the weeks I'd spent binging!).

The problem with this type of thinking was that it allowed me to continue deluding myself that I was actually making progress when in fact I wasn't. I would quite happily post on the forum that I was back at day 1 again when realistically I was angry at having to be back there again. "How come all these other bastards are getting it and I'm not?" I couldn't help compare myself with others rather than look for the solutions to my own problems.

Now, I'm not here to make moral judgments on other people's sobriety. But in my book if you are trying to abstain from alcohol and you relapse, have a lapse, have a slip, have a funny moment, or whatever else you wanna call it; then you have to get honest with yourself and be humble enough to accept full responsibility for your actions. If not, you are setting yourself up for failure in the long run because these little white lies we tell ourselves will one day catch up with us. If you continually give yourself permission to allow these little indiscretions they'll keep building up until suddenly you're wondering why the hell you keep relapsing all the time. How did I get here AGAIN? Before you know it you've given yourself permission to drink again under the illusion that things will be different this time. It's a slippery slope believe me because I've been there. I wasn't honest with myself. I was "honest" with everybody here (I use quotations because I actually believed I was being genuinely honest with people. Although I realise today how unknowingly manipulative I was back then!) but I continued to be angry and resentful thinking of myself further along in my sobriety than I actually was.

I know if I relapsed right now my nature as an alcoholic would be to not want to accept it had happened. 16 months of sobriety down the pan and back at that God awful Day 1 again? It would cripple me and I wouldn't want to accept it. That's the simple truth. But I know if I didn't
    accept the reality of it I'd be straight back into my old ways of thinking that would eventually be the foundations for further relapses in the future. I've seen this happen quite recently with a friend I went through treatment with. She was in a lot of pain due to the lies she told herself.

Accept what is, not what you want it to be. Don't sell yourself short. If you don't have the humility to do that, then you're in for a shaky ride. I'd rather have the stillness in me any day of the week. I can deal with what's going on for me at the moment when I'm completely honest with myself, my feelings and more importantly my sobriety.

Keep it real

Many Blessings
    Phil
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

I love you Phil, I really do, I love your posts and I cherish them (in a manly kind of a way)

I can relate to this thread only oh so so well, unfortunately it this site came for me too late, I spent yesterday writing a letter to my son which I just put in the bank until he is 18 years of age to read, he is only 2 now, it has some pretty hard truths in it - what started off as a letter of "its not my fault I can't see you" turned out to be "It is my fault I can't see you".

Sometimes I feel like I am shutting the stable door after the horse is gone, sometimes I don't know why I am doing this to myself, I don't know why I log on here to read stories about peoples successes and failures, why I have a joke or two in the Army thread because there is no getting back what I lost, if only I found this site before is just one of my many million "what if's" and I still don't know what I am doing here.

But I am here. I am trying to help others for not doing what I done, I know I helped one already and that feels good.

Ok I am babbling on.. I just wanted to say for some it has not happened yet, for some they managed to hold on to their lives and family and I wonder why they would even consider the possibilities of ever drinking again, the things they said to their partners should be enough for them to stop, but there is way more to this disease than I ever contemplated, your posts are an eye-opener for these people.

Anyhow keep up the good work and the great posts, you are an inspiration to me and many others here.

Comment

hippie. thanks for the post there's a whole lotta truth in it.

whilst reading i was reflecting upon my behaviour these last few days. (relapse after a few weeks absinence) -can i even call it relapse after only 18 days sober or does that sound like a joke?

i do lie to myself alot. i can see myself in a few weeks drinking, then posting, "i've done it again" yet still i say "right, here we go. day one." day one of what? the coundown to my next drink?

still, i have to try to absain. and if my little lies to myself keep me sober for just a few weeks at a time then i suppose they are doing a little bit of good? does that make sense? if i don't do this "back at day one" thing, then i'm drinking. i hope and pray that one day i am going to say "day one" and know in my heart of hearts that i want sobriety 100%. thats why i have decided not to give myself any more 30 day challenges. for me now, until i can be brutally honest, it's one day at a time.
      The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

thankx for sharing buddy .. the truth will set you free mind body and soul
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Being straight & honest with yourself is one of the first tools you have to learn how to use.As at the end of the day its yourself your only fooling no one else, good post

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Fantastic post and I agree whole heartedly. Yes I did the same things - kept saying well I was sober for x days/weeks then just had a 'slip'. So the next time I had a strong urge I might then say "Well I've done to well it won't hurt just this once". Eventually I was on a very slippery slope except it had a worse ending everytime.

I've gone from Day 1 this time and I ain't going back there as it's not being true to myself. The only way is to be abstenant all the time. No slips, lapses, relapses.

Heres a BIG truth I have not posted about and a great example of how I've had to be truthful despite the shame and hurt I feel about it.

I was taking coke when I drank, whilst I wasn't dependent upon it (in fact I didn't even like the stuff) the people I got the drug from were very nasty and making life pretty bad for me. I decided I wanted it out of my life for many, many reasons so stopped taking it. I did 90+ days without it, then one night whilst drunk rang a dealer. I only put a small dab on my tongue then flushed the rest down the loo as I realised I didn't want the stuff.

That dab spoilt my drug free run and for a long time I wondered if I could still consider myself 4 months(back then) DF. Took a lot of soul searching but that one dab on my tongue that I did swallow put me back to day 1 with drugs and scrapped 4 months being clean. In my heart of hearts I simply could not say I had been clean for 4 months anymore.

The result is that the date for DF in my signature is that one little dab. If it was any other date I could not live with that.

Comment

Heres a BIG truth I have not posted about and a great example of how I've had to be truthful despite the shame and hurt I feel about it.

I was taking coke when I drank, whilst I wasn't dependent upon it (in fact I didn't even like the stuff) the people I got the drug from were very nasty and making life pretty bad for me. I decided I wanted it out of my life for many, many reasons so stopped taking it. I did 90+ days without it, then one night whilst drunk rang a dealer. I only put a small dab on my tongue then flushed the rest down the loo as I realised I didn't want the stuff.

That dab spoilt my drug free run and for a long time I wondered if I could still consider myself 4 months(back then) DF. Took a lot of soul searching but that one dab on my tongue that I did swallow put me back to day 1 with drugs and scrapped 4 months being clean. In my heart of hearts I simply could not say I had been clean for 4 months anymore.

The result is that the date for DF in my signature is that one little dab. If it was any other date I could not live with that.
              EXACTLY my point blonde. Good for you. It's that clear conscience we need through being honest with ourselves in order to live a clean and wholesome life without the use of substances.
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi All
                This is the true essence needed for recovery honesty with yourself. Hip this tread should be a must read for all starting out. I have been guilty in the past of not being honest with myself. Cutting back and drinking half of what i used to is not recovery. Only getting drunk every now and then is not recovery. It is a very different mind set when you leave no room for al very different.
                The mirror can be your biggest tool in recovery. Look into it at yourself and only you know if you are being honesty about your effort. Are you happy with what you see???

In regards to this site the only thing I ask of fellow members is to be honest with me and your fellow members. If you are BS us you are BS yourself.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08
                Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08

Comment

EXCELLENT post Hippie....

Keep it Real xxx
                  "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Thank you so much for your honest posts. I have been here reading, making empty promises to myself, and superficial posts every so often since I have joined. I have said over and over that this is "it", but I have made myself a "clear" plan for months that June 1st of this year is "my" day. Why June 1st? No excuses....There aren't any excuses to follow the plan I have laid out before me, and if my brain finds a different alternative, plan B=rehab; the last place I want to go. Even though I don't feel I am at that point YET, I read what you say and it resonates in me. Am I being honest? I will soon find out.
                    Goal 1: Today
                    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

great post and OUCH!!! after almost 3 months sober i hada 'slip' total mess up actually. for my reasons only i am keeping my AF date with a 'slip'. i have to do this for myself a i would be too disheartened to think i was back at day one. truthfuly of course i know i am but for me it would be easier to do it again if i only had a few days AF under my belt and this is all about doing the right thing for me to stay sober. if and its a BIG IF it happened again i would definately start from 1 day again but as ive never tried this before im being gentle with myself and doing what works for me. your post made me think hard about this but i know its the right way for me.
                      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

In life, appearances don't mean a thing; it's only what is true.
                        Thank you for your honesty, Phil.
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

That was a heartfelt post Phil - excellent. SO true. I almost slipped - it would have been my first time since beginning of Jan when I went AF. Part of what stopped me was the fact that I would have to go back to the beginning. You are so right in that we are just not being honest with ourselves. Really made me stop and think - I think I need to print that out and keep that one on my notice board in case I get to the slipping point again! Thank you so much!!

Jean x
                          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hippie, what a great post.
                            I slipped and slipped and slipped all the way down. And what I would hear in my head and on these boards was dust yourself off, get back on the horse or wagon or whatever. Forgive yourself, be gentle with yourself. For me it was not until I told myself "f#$k you, it's not okay, it's never okay", that I finally quit. I was full of it's just a slip and think about all the sober time you had before the slip. That just gave me permission to do it again. Forgiveness isn't always a good thing.
                            Whew!! Glad I got that off my chest. Better start thinking about getting ready for work. My sober reality.

Comment

hipster,xcellent thread,as you said everyone has to have there own journey,the insanity ofhaving or not having a drink,weird,yes,being comfortable in ones own skin,i hour or a life time,is the same,you brot up length of sobriety,mine was 16 years i belive at the beginning of my life,i started late to some,but off and on for 41 years of my life,my dear friend,isnt it wonderful, all we have to be able to talk to others that have the same affliction,simple,it is not,for our kind,but we have each other,again xcellent thread,gyco

Comment

Working...
                              X