Backyard Warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard Warriors

With Spring/Summer arriving in this hemisphere, how about some gardening stories/pictures/questions/advice?

I made a wonderful discovery this past weekend - a "Corallorhiza striata" - Striped Coralroot Orchid. There were several of them growing in the ditch by one of our driveways - so out they came and a new home they found

Here are a couple of pictures of it: Spring Garden | Facebook
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Backyard Warriors

sunshine_gg;867238 wrote: With Spring/Summer arriving in this hemisphere, how about some gardening stories/pictures/questions/advice?

I made a wonderful discovery this past weekend - a "Corallorhiza striata" - Striped Coralroot Orchid. There were several of them growing in the ditch by one of our driveways - so out they came and a new home they found

Here are a couple of pictures of it: Spring Garden | Facebook
    Hey Sunny Girl - your pictures are gorgeous. As you know I've lived in Greece for many years and one of the things I always miss in Spring and Summer is the gardening that I did at our home in Ontario. A couple of your pics show "hosta" plants. They were one of my favourites. You made me yearn for a walk through one of Ontario's woodlands. Looks like you live in the middle of a National Park. Thanks for posting the link. Great work...
    Stirly...
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Hi GG! Long time since we've talked..

But, I am working big time on our yard as well. I have some lovely hosta's growing and they are rather large for just starting out. My lilacs are doing amazing, as well my herbs. I will have to take a pic and post. I'm currently getting an addition built on my shed and my house so there is some excavation work as well which I'm trying to work around too. Your gardens are beautiful as is your house and buildings. Love Ontario and everything you can grow there.

Gia

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Hi Ladies!

Yep, I have a lot of hostas - most of my garden is shade which kinda limits the plant selection. I would love to see your pictures! Post away!

Hola Miss Gia... indeed - long time, no type

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Oh, ANYTHING growing is my happy place. I have tons of pics from a few weeks ago when our azaleas were crazy wild. Plus, I'm constantly looking for wildflowers and shrubs. We have wild orange azaleas, lady's slipper, and 4 acres of mountain laurel. I've foung wild ginseng which grows all through the National Forest on our doorstep, and we have park rangers who actually go after and prosecute those who come in and dig it to sell commercially. It takes about 7 years to mature, so it's very protected. I have a lot of passionflower vines going on to.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Backyard Warriors

rubywillow;867272 wrote: Oh, ANYTHING growing is my happy place. I have tons of pics from a few weeks ago when our azaleas were crazy wild. Plus, I'm constantly looking for wildflowers and shrubs. We have wild orange azaleas, lady's slipper, and 4 acres of mountain laurel. I've foung wild ginseng which grows all through the National Forest on our doorstep, and we have park rangers who actually go after and prosecute those who come in and dig it to sell commercially. It takes about 7 years to mature, so it's very protected. I have a lot of passionflower vines going on to.
            *Ahem *
            And WHERE are those pictures?? :H

Comment

Backyard Warriors

I'm on vacation next week and plan on doing a TON of work on my yard. One of my priorities is to get my new pond dug and set up. I've had a small fiberglass pond for about 5 years now but it was too small to put in lillies or fish. Now I have fish that need a year round home outside and I love water lillies so I bought a deeper pond. I'm so excited!! I will definitley take and posts pics of my accomplishments this summer!!

Sonni-your house/yard is gorgeous!! Exactly what I dream of! How about pics of the horse and barns? Love your dog and cat too!!
              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Growing up in a fruit and veg farm in Ontario I know my produce however I'm not so nice with the flowers. Are there any that can live through a summer without any watering? That's my kind of flower. LOL.

Ruby - Do they prosecute those who neglet and are cruel to things with pedals? hee hee.

Kidding aside I may go purchase some nice hanging baskets. you have all inspired my green thumb!

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Wow Sunny, your house and gardens are gorgeous, its like living in a wood! Couldn't compete with that!! Only joking - can't put photos up anyway, completely computer illiterate (SP?).
                  My garden/plant story is a little more sobering (scuse the pun!) - My great great grandmother had a very special houseplant (don't know the name) which has been passed down through the generations. It is fragile and very tender. Both my Mum and I always Hated the plant but sort of felt we had to mind it for generations to come. In my drinking days (last summer) I got so sick of the frigging thing I planted it out in the garden and said farewell!! It is frigging thriving out there, growing huge! I reckon it is single-handed proof of global warming!
                  Molly
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Backyard Warriors

papmom3;867278 wrote: How about pics of the horse and barns? Love your dog and cat too!!
                    LOL.. no barn yet, Pap... we're building that this summer! But horses, I can do!
                    Gina 2010 | Facebook

Well, I look forward to all your garden/project pics! I reckon that there will be much more gardening next year for me - when the barn is built

Molly, we ARE living in the woods! :H
                    Too funny about your house/garden plant... you don't know what it is? Try and look it up (Google images or something) - I'd be curious to know!

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Don't even know what its supposed to look like anymore its sort of taken on a new shape sort of thing - its absolutely HORRIBLE anyway! I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight and try!
                      Molly
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Backyard Warriors

Thought I would revive this thread..

I'm starting to work on a small pond in our backyard. The excavator has already been in and dug, it's not going to be very deep. I'm working on cleaning out and reinforcing the sides right now as it is quite soft really. What are some good plants for the outside to help reroot and give stability to the sides? I want it beautiful, but safe as well for my little girl. Thanks for any responses. This is my first attempt with a pond.

Comment

Working...
                        X