fibrosis / cirrhosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fibrosis / cirrhosis

So, fibrosis is one of the characteristic "symptoms" (or medical findings) in cirrhosis according to wikipedia's article. Are there other conditions that can also lead to liver fibrosis, or is it basically just from cirrhosis of the liver?
    :cactus:

fibrosis / cirrhosis

This article might interest youhttp://www.medical.siemens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PSGenericDisplay~q_catalogId~e_-111~a_langId~e_-111~a_pageId~e_103856~a_storeId~e_10001.htm

I couldnt help notice that your user name was fibrosis which is a little bit unsettling. Please dont define yourself by any horrible condition. I am sure there is a lot more to you than that. Take care.

Comment

fibrosis / cirrhosis

Liver fibrosis is one of the first signs that a lifestyle change is in order. Unfortunately, a significant portion of liver tissue can become fibrous before any recognizable symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver are apparent. I've seen this happen first-hand, and it is not a pretty sight, as you can well guess.

In terms of other causes of liver fibrosis, if this is what you're asking, chronic hepatitis B or C can be culprits, chronic iron overload due to hereditary hemochromatosis is another possible cause, sometimes liver fibrosis can even be a severe complication of diabetes.

However, in the Western World, chronic alcohol abuse takes the cake as the most frequent cause. There's no telling who will be affected. I've witnessed many people drink themselves into oblivion for years before finally stopping who are perfectly healthy. However, I have one family member who only drank about a bottle of wine per day (I say 'only', because this isn't much for many of us), who is now on a liver transplant list. Alcohol is not the only cause, but certainly the most preventable one.

Comment

Working...
      X