What is Willpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Willpower?

The term "willpower" is used constantly here (and everywhere).

I'm just wondering what the word, or concept, really means.

It seems like willpower is thought of as something you exert, with the lack of willpower meaning that you are not able to, or choose not to, exert it.

I'm wondering if willpower refers not to the effort, or ability, but to the result of that effort or ability.

I think I have tremendous willpower. When my body tells me I am too tired to go on -- whether it be a mental task or a physical task, I almost always manage to resist the need to stop, the need to rest, the need to to give in to my body's needs. When I am successful, people say I have an incredible amount of willpower.

I have many compulsions that I conquer. I don't give up easily. When I want something, I persist against all odds. People tell me I have an incredible amount of willpower.

When I succeed, I am praised for my willpower, but when I fail (as in my battle with alcohol), I am told that I need (or lack) willpower.

So, I'm wondering, does willpower refer to an exertion, an effort, or a personal characteristic, something you have or don't have, something you use or don't use...

or does it refer to the result?

I'd be interested in any feedback.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

What is Willpower?

I think if you set a goal for yourself and attain that goal that's an example of willpower. You have taken control (will) to achieve that end!
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

What is Willpower?

Exactly. But what if you set a goal, and do everything within your power to achieve it, and then don't achieve it?

Does that signify a lack of willpower?

This means willpower is not what you DO to try to achieve those goals, but just the result of your exertion to achieve them.

So, is it the actual effort, or the result, that defines willpower?
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

What is Willpower?

I see what you mean. I think the action one tales to achieve a goal is willpower regardless of the outcome!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

What is Willpower?

Wiki calls it "the strength to act, or forbear from acting, in the pursuit of a goal."

So it IS the strength to do (or not do) something. But it implies that that something will be done (or not done).

Kinda both...?
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

What is Willpower?

Hi beatle.

I define my will as my 'wants'. The power is then the action I put in to getting my 'wants'. Whether it's a positive or negative (as loOp stated) it doesn't make any difference. "Will I go to shop or will I not go to the shop" implies I have to put action in and make a choice either way. Whatever choice I make I've exerted my willpower

I've heard it said many times that we alcoholics have no willpower. Quite the opposite I believe. I had to exert my will all the time in maintaining my lifestyle fueled by drink and drugs. If I wanted it, I would find a way to get it somehow. If I didn't then I'd still exerted my willpower to the extent of putting the action in. So in answer to your last question "So, is it the actual effort, or the result, that defines willpower?" It's the effort (or action) you put in. The end result is neither here nor there!

For example: I want to drink, I put action in by going to the pub to buy a drink. The pub is closed and I end up not buying a drink. Just because I haven't had a drink does not mean I haven't used my willpower.

Many Blessings
            Phil
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

What is Willpower?

I think 'willpower' is a term applied to other peoples perceived determination and is almost always critical or dismissive. I stick with 'determination' the other term is too loaded with baggage.

Comment

What is Willpower?

Well put Blue Heeler cause when it came to dishing out Willpower I sure was at the back of the queue!!
                Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

What is Willpower?

hippie37;871235 wrote: Hi beatle.

I define my will as my 'wants'. The power is then the action I put in to getting my 'wants'. Whether it's a positive or negative (as loOp stated) it doesn't make any difference. "Will I go to shop or will I not go to the shop" implies I have to put action in and make a choice either way. Whatever choice I make I've exerted my willpower

I've heard it said many times that we alcoholics have no willpower. Quite the opposite I believe. I had to exert my will all the time in maintaining my lifestyle fueled by drink and drugs. If I wanted it, I would find a way to get it somehow. If I didn't then I'd still exerted my willpower to the extent of putting the action in. So in answer to your last question "So, is it the actual effort, or the result, that defines willpower?" It's the effort (or action) you put in. The end result is neither here nor there!

For example: I want to drink, I put action in by going to the pub to buy a drink. The pub is closed and I end up not buying a drink. Just because I haven't had a drink does not mean I haven't used my willpower.

Many Blessings
                  Phil
                  Interesting. I have perceived it as the "will" being the mind, the rational part that doesn't want to drink, and the "power" being the "will's" ability to exert its power over the body, even when the demands from the body feel too strong to deny.

Comment

What is Willpower?

Alcoholics and addicts in general are thought to have tremendous willpower. Well how else do they/we carry on with our drinking etc in spite of all the difficulties and contraindications?The times we've snuck around, driven, walked,cycled for miles, planned, hidden and construed events to fit in with our drinking. Then run around picking ourselves up and dealing with consequences afterwards yet still determined to drink again.

Phew. I am very stubborn and from all the stuff I've come through know I have an awful lot of will power- but it's the way in which it's directed that makes the difference. I think we all know that willpower alone didn't help us stop drinking - it was more often a change of approach or meds or something very drastic happening. Will power is part of the whole thing because you have to want to stop before you can stop and stay stopped.

Comment

What is Willpower?

I love this topic!

For me willpower means the power of your will, your will being what you want and therefore the power behind this being how much you want it. I think its also hugely to do with attiitude and how you use your mind which is just a tool we are given to help us live our lives. Some of us choose to ignore the power our mind has, in doing so convince themselves they have low willpower. I dont believe any of our wills are different as beautifully put in this quote:-

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't.
                      It's that some people are ready to change and others are not."

To say "i have no will power" is an excuse most of us like to use when we are unwilling to do something or to put in the required effort to achieve it. The old phrase "where there is a will, there is a way" is so true, many people who believed they had no will power when faced with adversity suddenly find the strength to overcome great challenges.

My will power is no different from anyones but the Q I ask myself if I want to change something in my life is "how badly do I want this?" If deep down there are still reasons Im holding onto something then thats a separate issue... its not my will-power that will let me down, its my inability to face up to my truth.....

"if you think you can, or you think you cant, you're right!!"
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

What is Willpower?

Ukblonde;871612 wrote: Alcoholics and addicts in general are thought to have tremendous willpower. Well how else do they/we carry on with our drinking etc in spite of all the difficulties and contraindications?The times we've snuck around, driven, walked,cycled for miles, planned, hidden and construed events to fit in with our drinking. Then run around picking ourselves up and dealing with consequences afterwards yet still determined to drink again.

Phew. I am very stubborn and from all the stuff I've come through know I have an awful lot of will power- but it's the way in which it's directed that makes the difference. I think we all know that willpower alone didn't help us stop drinking - it was more often a change of approach or meds or something very drastic happening. Will power is part of the whole thing because you have to want to stop before you can stop and stay stopped.
                        That's interesting, UKblonde. Your definition sounds quite a bit like Hippie's, and makes me think that maybe I have completely misunderstood the term and usage.

I certainly have not had the impression that "Alcoholics and addicts in general are thought to have tremendous willpower". I have only heard the opposite... I've been told time and again that I have to use at least some willpower (as if I wasn't using any:upset

In my experience, addicts in general are thought to have a tremendous LACK of willpower. Especially if they say they want to quit, and yet every time they do, at tremendous effort and suffering, they return to the poison... over and over again.

Comment

What is Willpower?

Yes that is something that non-addicts say. As already mentioned in another thread only alcoholics know and understand the struggles we go through. Unfortunately society in general view alcoholics as weak and useless. Yes they are when under the influence but surely the ability to overcome and survive such an illness must show some strength.

A close friend of mine once said "If I suffered from alcoholism that would be it - I would be finished". By that he meant he did not think he'd be strong enough to get through it at all after seeing my struggles and understanding just how difficult this thing is. The person saying this is a very successful man who runs/builds his own business so not someone to shirk from hard work!

Comment

What is Willpower?

Ukblonde;871690 wrote: Yes that is something that non-addicts say...
                            I've never heard that said by non-addicts, even compassionate ones. I suppose it is my own experience that is the root of my question about what willpower means.

My understanding of the definition of willpower was based on what I thought others' definition was, and it was puzzling. Hence this thread.

I'm glad I asked the question. It's shedding a lot of light on it (for me, anyway). Thank you.

Comment

What is Willpower?

Chillgirl,

Loved your post. I agree with you and am inspired by your wise words. I will print this out and keep it for future reference. Like Mario always says in his quote, "Nothing changes if nothing changes." That quote spins in my head over and over.

Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X