With Drinking, Parent Rules Do Affect Teens' Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished listening to this story on NPR about the effects of teen binge drinking on the adolescent brain, and the role the parent's drinking and the rules they set play in the how teens form drinking habits.
    With Drinking, Parent Rules Do Affect Teens' Choices : NPR

Love to hear your thoughts.
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi Not tonight, thanks for posting this. One thing for sure I would not like my son and any future kids I may have to be drinking at an early stage but I also would not like to be keeping too many tabs on them, it really depends on what kind of relationship one has with their kids, if they are open and honest and tell the parents they only had one or two social drinks at a reasonable age then fair enough, however I think I am going to have a hard time with that as we live in a country that accepts drinking and stopping my children from drinking would seem a restriction and once one restricts something from another it becomes the don't push the big red button scenario and they will drink just to spite, if he's anything like me anyhow.
    I certainly don't want to be telling my kids at 18 what to do, I can only advise them.
    Once my son sees what happened to me he won't drink like I did so I have that to be thankful for.

Comment

Hi wannachange

One of the greatest motivating factors for me to stop drinking is my children. They are still little and perhaps are not aware of how much I was drinking. I grew up in a house where drinking was the norm, in large amounts almost all the time. This defiantly shaped my relationship with AL. Moderation was just not on the menu. It wasn't until I was an adult that I came to understand that not every family behaved in the same manner. My husband drinks moderately, and that is what I would like my children to learn. HOwever there are many alcoholics on my side of the family and I do worry about what that could mean for my children. What I took away the most from this show was how much of an influence parents can have, either positive or negative on their children's drinking habits.
      While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. When I quit drinking I joined a local coalition here that is trying to help prevent underage drinking. There is some interesting science being publicized now. I also needed to quit for my kid's sake, and now I've almost turned radical about it! Whenever I heard an ad on the radio this weekend I turned it up and my son rolled his eyes!

I think if all parents would get honest about their own drinking, and set better examples, talk to their kids, it would help future generations in many ways.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I think if all parents would get honest about their own drinking, and set better examples, talk to their kids, it would help future generations in many ways.
          Agreed! My high school friends, whose parents weren't heavy drinkers, did not binge drink. They were generally more involved in athletics, or other extracurricular activities, which they derived a sense of accomplishment and self achievement from. They just did not seem as susceptible to peer pressure as those of us that came from homes where our parents regularly drank. Also, if parents are drinking heavily they are probably fighting more, the family life was somewhat dysfunctional. I want my kids to come from a functional home.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X