If I said I did too much acid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a big brain gap at work the other day and couldn't remember the name of something quite simple so jokingly I said, "I must have done too much acid in the 70's" This was quite well taken by everyone with laughter and appeared to be seen as quite a "cool" thing and that I must have had some exciting and wild life.

Just curious what makes drug abuse seen as so glamourous and exciting and yet alcohol abuse is seen as such a weakness of ones will? (I realize there is nothing glamourous about a person who struggles with drug abuse)
    AF since April 19, 2010
    NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
    -Lady Nancy Astor

Hi Daybyday
    I think its similar to recounting war stories about drinking. We even do it here and have a good laugh about it. But also, you talked about it in the past tense, you werent "living" it. I am sure if you turned up high/stoned or whatever, you wouldnt be received so well.
    I think the stigma with drugs is equally acute as with alcohol. Maybe even more so. Drugs are more mysterious to many, and can be seen as the end of the road, as with alcoholism.
    I have a label of drug addict on my medical records and it really does make people judge me harshly if they get to know about it.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I agree with starty - past tense makes a big difference - people don't know if it's real or just a story if you are just saying something in passing. And I don't see drug abuse as glamorous. I do see that the film industry romanticizes alcohol abuse - even going way back! Just watch Breakfast at Tiffany's!
      AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

I also think that people thought you were joking... and it was a cool because it was an off the cuff joke. I've had people do that at work - have a momentary brain gap then joke that they shouldn't have had that third glass of wine last night. It's just banter.

I'm quite sure if they actually thought you did acid in the 70's they'd take a step backward (unless of course they did acid in the 70's themselves :H)

I guess the banter is all the funnier if you are saying something 'risky'. For example, once I was greeted by a colleague at the shredding machine as he was next to me at the photocopier. He asked how I was going and I said, without thinking, "Great! I love destroying all the evidence!!"

He had hysterics because that was just a really WRONG thing to say in a 'high security' environment but it was OK because he got the joke.

Comment

I agree with the past tense thing.

Say you would have said, I must have been drinking too much in my Uni/college days, ppl would have probably responded in a similar way?!

But I hear you though. At times it seems more 'glamorous' when someone's beaten drug addiction then when they're a dry alcoholic.
          AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

There's a book called The Easy Way to Stop Drinking which addresses the stigma surrounding alcoholism versus other addictions. I haven't finished it yet but the guy makes some good points about society. He maintains that we are not weak-willed, we've just been lured in and trapped by the the "pitcher plant"... you might like it, it's by Allen Carr.

Comment

Thanks lolmom, I will look for that book, sounds like an interesting read.

Fickle, that was cute about the evidence!!
              AF since April 19, 2010
              NF since Nov 10, 2000

"One reason I don't drink is I want to know when I'm having a good time."
              -Lady Nancy Astor

Comment

I work at a very exclusive country club, where you have to be very rich in order to be a member. I see sooo much alcohol abuse pretty much every single day by the "elite" of our society, doctors, lawyers, basically people with no money problems.

Its funny because since they are "rich" nobody ever utters the word alcoholism when its so clearly the case with some people. Its almost like because you are rich it is overlooked and accepted. The elephant in the room scenario.

I've seen people even falling down drunk, but nobody ever says anything. Its just accepted for some weird reason.
                I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Overit, I've seen that among the "elite" too. And I've also seen it at the corner dive bar. I think overlooking people's bad behavior while under the influence happens across all socioeconomic boundaries. Until somebody dies in a car accident or shooting or something where a person was drunk. Then the world becomes indignant for a short time. Well, until happy hour starts anyway.

Our county executive (elected) got a DUI recently which was not surprising at all. A guy I know was with him. Don't even get me started.

There is a very sad case that was dismissed from court in the Chicago area today. An off duty police officer side swiped a car and two kids died. There was video tape of him drinking beers and shots in a bar prior to the accident. The officers at the scene did not test him (which is an outrage) but several hours later, he FAILED a breathalyzer. The judge would not allow the evidence and the case was dismissed today. Two kids are still dead.

I guess that bothered me more than I realize. I am so grateful I never killed anyone. Because I sure could have. If I had even one drink in me (not enough to be legally drunk) and got in an accident where someone died, I just couldn't live with myself.

Sorry for straying so far off topic.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

The ultimate consequence of our actions would DEFINATELY be killing an innocent by stander. Oh God, that should be enough to sober every one of us up RIGHT NOW!

There was a lady last year, Diane Schuller, from New Jersey. She was driving home from a camping trip with a bunch of kids, decided to start drinking on the way home. She ended up wiping out something like 10 people Everybody in her car including her two children, her three nieces, herself included, then 4 people she hit. What a devistaing mess!! That woman is so lucky she died herself. She killed 5 of her own family members all children under 10!!! Oh God, those poor babies.

Google the story sometime if you want to see the worst one I have ever seen. Devistating indeed.
                    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X