I know this is way off topic, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would absolutely love to be given some ideas on a business of my own.

I was looking at franchises today and most are horribly expensive. I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to throw in to such huge debt.

Having this community from all over the world, I would love to hear ideas.

I love what I do for a living but the weekly travel is wearing me down mentally and physically. (I am in IT consulting.)

Thanks in advance.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Cinders what are you interested in? Are you an independent consultant? If so, why all the travel?
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Running your own business is a great idea Cinders. I did it after years on the Gov't payroll and never regretted it. I made more money, I was happier. Fortunately It was big enough to employ my wife and son too. When I eventually sold it I had buit it up to be worth more than three times what I paid for it and I was able to retire at 49.
      It was a soft drink distribution business and required a fair bit of muscle (me & son)
      When I first went looking I had made a list of things that the business needed to provide. Like 'how much travel' & 'how many hours.' You will have different priorities.
      While it is possible to start up new, it can be hard. An existing business will have a track record and you will be able to see what you are getting.
      As a matter of interest, my son set up an internet business (importing from o'seas and selling locally) he does very well at it too. All the free time he wants and only needs a computer to run it. No storage or shop or employees...beautifully simple.
      My advice is to read the 'Businesses For Sale' columns and see what takes your fancy then examine each one closely.
      Maybe now would be the time to have a close look at what is happening on eBay? There is money to be made there. See what is selling, check out the big sellers. If there is anything that you would be interested in doing see where you might find the stock to sell.
      This has the great advantage of having very low set-up costs.
      PM me if you'd like further info.

Comment

Do you know how to design a website?

Comment

A friend of mine has a cool idea that he has never got around to doing ........ taking people's old 5 1/2 inch (computer) disks (remember floppies??!!) and 3 1/4 inch ones, and converting them into new (web-based) formats.

My dad did our family tree about 20 years ago - one of my siblings still has the disks, but no-body has a machine that will read them any more!!!
          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Why don't you set up a phone merchandising business, and cold call that client that you were working for recently, five times a night, starting at 12 midnight, and finishing about 5am.
            After all, that's what they were doing to you.:H:H:H:H
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Visit ClarkHoward.com Home: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-Offs on clarkhoward.com for advise. And good luck!

Comment

gis a job

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Cinders,

You could become a reseller of a computing product,
                  Panasonic Tough Books is one that comes immediately to mind.

I was a non productive office manager of an IT company,
                  I became a reseller of a product (I'll PM you) I am still with the same company in admin but now I more than cover my salary.

I had no 'Tech Speak' when I started,
                  you generate your own leads and once I got established with a few nice sales I started getting leads from the vendor.
                  Happy to be back

Comment

Wow, these ideas!!

Keep them coming. I have a feeling this thread may help more than just me.

Mario, I have a job. A great paying job that is way too stressful for me at this point in my life. It is a huge downward spiral that is going to end up in a very bad situation.

My daughter wants me to quit my job but the jobs here in town that I can get, due to my skillset not being one that is used here, do not pay 1/3 of my current salary.

I would like to get out of this hell gracefully, with my house and property and the trailer my son, his wife and two children live in all intact. Not to mention the money my daughter needs right now until her husband finishes his schooling.

Lots on my shoulders these days. Not good when all that rests on the shoulders of an alcoholic. :-(

I would also like to be able to spend some time with all these people. They love me and I love them. The love shining out of the eyes of the grandchildren, the love and caring of my children and the very thinning patience and love from my hubby tell me that I am in the best time of my life. I not only want to quit drinking so I can enjoy it, I want to quit full time traveling so I can enjoy it.

Techie, No, I am not an independent consultant. I work for a major corporation. I have enjoyed that umbrella for years. They pay me well, give me good benefits and have stepped in to protect me. Today they can't afford to do that anymore. There is way too much competition from overseas at roughly .05% (yes, you read that right). Even with my superior skills, it is hard to justify that difference. They can hire many of them to one of me.

Again, thanks everyone. I am mulling these things over and will start looking into all of the different ideas you have presented.

Keep 'em coming, people. There are a lot of unemployed folks on MWO who can use this information, too.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Oh, and BBBJ, that is a hilarious thought.

You are absolutely right. The weekend I got 2 hours sleep in 48 hours was absolute hell.

Really not funny, when you get right down to it.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi, I think it's great you are considering this step. And you have got some awesome ideas here! I took a pretty big leap 3 years ago )before the economy fell apart) and quit my job of 26 years so that I could have the freedom to be a bigger part of my children's lives. I soon realized, that I needed to do something to make at least a little money, and for my self worth. I do some bookkeeping for a few people, and last summer a friend of mine asked me to help him take care of the local cemetery. I don't make a lot of money, but it buys the groceries, and we are living the same lifestyle as before. But, I am so much happier with the flexibility of being my own boss.

I don't have any great advice, but I would encourage you to continue to look into this and pursue it to its fullest extent!!

Good luck!:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

LVT,

You bet I am going to stick with my search and I am drawing my immediate family into the discussion because they know me well, what I like and don't like, what is realistic for me and what isn't. Also, because if it means a huge pay cut, it will affect all of them. My children are willing to live with that, hubby is looking at retirement, so his view is a little different.

My brothers and my dad won't understand it because they are so proud of me and what I have accomplished. I view it as: been there done that. I can't actually go any higher in the work I do, I will have to veer and change anyway. My thought is at this point in life, I might as well ensure it is something I like and at the same times gives me some breathing room.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                          X