Legal Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Advice Needed

Got a letter in the mail stating there were warrants out for the arrest of hubby for writing bad checks. The account that the checks were written on was closed 4 years ago. They refused to give us a copy of the forged checks written. Obviously, someone found some old checks of ours so we don't know how many more are to come. Do we need an atty or can we go to court and show that it is not my husband's handwriting and how can we prevent more checks to be written? Thanks for any legal advice!
    I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
    but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Legal Advice Needed

Seems to me that you should be able to go to the bank and get proof that the bank account was closed. Then go to the police and talk to them. If that is the case they need to be looking for the real person who wrote the checks.

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

I posted something for you on our thread, love, but I believe a good attorney would save you money in the long run. Plus, contact your states attorney generals office about it. Also, try LegalZoom.com.We'll help you thru this.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

I would lawyer up. This link may help you. So sorry to hear about this...

What is a Forged Check?
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

I do not think you need to lawyer up @ all. Calling the AG's office is a good idea, as well as LegalZoom.com. I would also google Clark Howard and I would bet $100 discusses this issue on his site. You can also call his 800# and talk to a member of his team for free, or maybe even get through to him. I think Clark will be by far your best resource as a consumer advocate. And put a freeze on your credit just to be safe.

EDIT: And if you are a customer of one of the monster mega banks, you really need to fire them and get with a credit union.

Good luck!

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

I'm with luCKy. The account was closed. You should not have to pony up for sorting it out.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

Check forgery is a felony. If there was a warrant out for my arrest I would want to consult an atty. That's just me. If you husband is pulled over for a routine traffic stop, he could be arrested. This is a serious matter, albeit NOT your fault. Just keeping it real here. Again, best of luck and I hope this matter is resolved quickly!
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

Yes, it should be up to your bank to sort it out (as that link that Techie posted says). You closed the account, it's not your responsibility. Call your bank and talk to them.

I got mugged about 10 years ago and phoned my bank within five minutes to cancel my cheque book and card, which were in the bag that was stolen. A couple of weeks later my bank called me to say that someone was writing cheques from that cheque book. They were calling me to double check that it wasn't me, and I said no it wasn't, and I passed the info they gave me on to the police and never heard any more about it - those missing cheques were no longer my responsibility.

Who is the letter from? Are you sure it's genuine? Maybe it's some sort of scam.
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

SOS,

Check out JustAnswer.com. You can get help from a lawyer for just $14. I have used this website and their professionals are excellent. And you'll get an answer within 15 minutes. Good luck!

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

Sobs, I worked in a bank, if the account was closed that's their problem unless the rules are different in different countries?
                    Molly
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

luCKy;886132 wrote: I do not think you need to lawyer up @ all. Calling the AG's office is a good idea, as well as LegalZoom.com. I would also google Clark Howard and I would bet $100 discusses this issue on his site. You can also call his 800# and talk to a member of his team for free, or maybe even get through to him. I think Clark will be by far your best resource as a consumer advocate. And put a freeze on your credit just to be safe.

EDIT: And if you are a customer of one of the monster mega banks, you really need to fire them and get with a credit union.

Good luck!
                      Lucky, are you from Georgia?? I LOVE Clark Howard, he's my financial guru!!!
                      sigpic
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

RW, no, not from GA but I do love Clark! He is so proud to be a cheapskate! lol! and so thrilled a caller told him how to make his razor blades last longer by drying them off after each use. I really need to call Team Clark this week. I have spent a good amount of time on his website and he really has those that love him and think he is all wet regarding strategic foreclosures. Interesting. My conclusion is there are no financial ethics left in this country starting with the government and the big banks. Between that and the gulf oil crisis, I just want to hide out under a rock.

SOS, don't sweat this. I think it will be easy to clear up. Keep us posted. My bank once called me to tell me someone stole a check that was outgoing from my mailbox and washed the ink off the payee field. I was very impressed the bank was suspicous and called me.

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

Clark was hysterical wanting to ride his little motorcyle in Atlanta traffic! I love him to pieces, such a happy guy.
                          SOS is gonna get through this. We're giving her hugs!
                          (Our little family is the 'Journey Starts here' thread. You're all welcome, would love some new posters!)
                          sigpic

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

SOBS, Have you contacted the bank where you had this account? I can't believe that they did not contact you when the first check showed up? Never the less, they should have file copies of these checks that you can get copies of. At least then you can see what you are dealing with. You will also then, be able to take these checks to the police.

Good Luck with all of this!
                            Kate
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Legal Advice Needed

Thank all of you so much for the advice and links. This letter came from the county constable so it is legite. We were on vacation and got all our mail on Sat so I have not had a chance to call the bank yet but certainly will in the morning. Will keep you all posted. Thank you again.
                              I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I could be. I'm definetly not who I want to be,
                              but I'm sure not who I used to be!

There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still.

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME." Phil 4:13

Comment

Working...
                              X