First Day Of Summer Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day Of Summer Here

Hi everyone Today is the first day of summer. This make's me a little nervous...See i almost hit the jersey shore everyweekend in the summer and usually meet up with friends from all over nyc,philly,delaware and of course jersey..We keep in touch yr round by e-mailing each other over the internet..everyone is so glad to see each other every year kind of a reunion to say.BBQ's and clubs with music blasting..I haven't told anyone about my very strong desire to quit drinking for ever.But this is something i must do for ME.I'm getting tickets to see paul mcartney in concert today concert ant till august 14 BUT im already thinking i have never been to a concert sober.It's sunny and hot and that's drinking time for me..well actually anytime was drinking time for me to be totally honest.Anyway anybody feel the same as me? Trucker

First Day Of Summer Here

hey there truck yes to be honest yes i would love to have a beer sometimes .. but you know what its all about choice i choose not to drink now and well it better for me not to ..and as you said quote my very strong desire to quit drinking for ever.But this is something i must do for ME.. so you know what you need to do for you so just take it one step at a time and enjoy this a new beginning for you .. for the rest of you life and ask yourself one think do you want to rememeber where you go and how much fun it was without the fuzz menory and then thinking how the hell did i get here .. but anyway you know what you need to do .. so just do your best but one day at a time
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Hi Trucker. I drank over absolutely everything too. Happy, sad, in a crowd, all alone, every occassion was a drinking occassion for me.

I can understand how overwhelming it must seem to look at the summer in totality and try to imagine it being a sober one. I suggest taking it one day at a time, and just facing each new sober experience one experience at a time. You might find that the more you "practice" various events sober, the easier it becomes. It's been that way for me anyhow.

The thought of being at the shore UNHUNG is a pleasant one!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Yes I know the feeling, but these days I love jumping into my car choosing a venue and drinking a coke and getting back into my car and driving somewhere else - far more freedom, before this I would have to drive there, drink beer and get a taxi home and get a taxi back to my car in the morning... if I remember where I left it, if I didn't drive it home... bah. I am happy to be sober.

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Just think, Trucker, this time you will REMEMBER the Paul McCartney concert! My summer beverage of choice in an Arnold Palmer, 1/2 iced tea and 1/2 lemonade, not only is this a delicious and refreshing beverage, but it reminds me of this very famous athlete who called it quites with booze! Instead of being shamed by openly admitting that he no longer drank alcohol, he set a new trend! You too can be a trend setter!
          There is no doubt that you can and will be the life of the party, sober! You are a wonderful conversationalitst and I can only imagine the great fun your friends will have with you this summer!
          As DG says, don't boggle your mind with so much at one time, just take it one day at a time!

Happy, Sober, Summer!
          Kate
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

I mix my cold, sweetened with honey, green tea with lemonade, and plenty of ice. Make my own smoothies too. Trying to quit the diet cokes now! Like all the great advice above says, take it slow and easy, don't think of forever, just today. Look at enjoying your sober beach time as a new experience, and HEY! August is still far enough away you can have some real sober time in by then! Hang on friend.
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

THANK YOU ALL.. FOR THE GREAT ADVICE I ALWAY'S GET HERE AGAIN THANK YOU'S... TRUCKER

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Trucker. I'm with you. Day 1 again for me. Hate this feeling. Foggy today. Need to jump back on the AF days...

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Hi Sharky Thx for you reply but i didn't drink i have 16 days today.. I was just making reference that it was the first day of summer and the temtention ti drink ..good luck on your journey. Trucker

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

All the best Trucker! Congrats on 16 days. I hope to be able to make it that far as well. Hear you about summer... always been drinkin' time. Keep up the good work!

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Hi TRUCKER.

I got back late last night after celebrating the summer solstice at Stonehenge. The atmosphere was 'amazing'. 90% of the people there where drinking or taking something or probably both. There's no way I would of been able to handle that last summer without thinking I was missing out on something. The "grass is greener on the other side" mentality was a hard one to shift for me. I still get days stuck in this thinking but not about the drink and drugs anymore.

Like a few have mentioned I didn't really need an excuse to drink in the first place. But I can identify with the summer being a difficult time. I always tried to be a social drinker and pubs/beer gardens always attracted me during the hot months. That, or I drank alone outdoors somewhere in a field, down the beach, in the woods etc.

Things certainly started to get easier for me though when i shared with other people of my difficulties. Although I've got nearly 17 months of sobriety I've only got that through being honest with people know how I feel and more importantly being honest with myself about how I REALLY feel.

Whilst at Stonehenge I was quite fearful because of the massive crowds (nearly 20,000 people). I was right in the thick of it in the middle of the stones at times and needed to take myself away from this and chill out away from the maddening crowds. I was completely honest with friends telling them the crowds were overpowering at times and I was feeling uncomfortable. Somehow being honest with people about how I felt made things become a lot easier for me. I didn't need my 'hand holding' I just needed to be honest and it very quickly subsided.

Anyway, a very belated HAPPY SOLSTICE to you!

Many Blessings
                      Phil
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

Thank You hippie37 I will be heading to the shore this weekend,but won't be drinking! This i no for a fact! Thanks again hippie37. Trucker

Comment

First Day Of Summer Here

hey trucker i'm an old LBIer
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
                          X