Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I handle my daughter's upcoming grad cocktail party at school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All:

I am trying not to drink lately and my daughter's grad night cocktail party (for the parents) is coming up on Friday. I'd like to just go for the grad program and leave before cocktails start. The kids are having their own special dinner and dance separate from the parents' party.

Can I leave before cocktails? Would it be rude to leave? What should I tell people if they ask why I left, or if they see me leaving?

I appreciate all advice.

Thanks

Ask for a Shirley Temple (non-alcoholic) but looks like the real deal - lots of people don't drink and the barman will be aware of this...you could be the designated driver and need to stay sober.

Comment

That's a good idea, but I don't think I have the willpower not to get loaded if I stay. I'm still in early days. It would be torture for me.

Comment

Hi Swattie

Is it people drinking your want to avoid or facing the temptaton?

If not, I'm sure they will have a non-alcohol option at cocktail hour as there are many people who don't drink for many different reasons - health, fitness, have to drive etc.... Just have an orange juice or lemonade and enjoy yourself.

We all think not drinking is a big deal for others but usually others don't notice or are even bothered when we take a non AL option.

Best of luck
        Hazeleyes
        Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

If you think you can't stay there & not pick up an alcoholic drink - go ahead & tell a white lie and leave - family is coming into town - whatever. . . . .smile and go. they'll forget you're gone the minute you leave & they pick up their drinks . . . .

Comment

In that case Swattie, just leave early. Say you've got to pck up the cat from the Vet.
            No better reason in the world. Or, without lying, you could say you feel sick (at the thought of getting pissed.) Whatever suits your moral compass. Don't let the world rule your life.
            Good Luck.

Comment

Good ideas. Thanks.

Comment

Just say you want to go home, there's no rule that says you have to stay. I leave a lot of things early often because I'm not interested in watching people drink!

Comment

Hi Swattie, I have been dealing with this exact situation a great deal over the past 4 1/2 months. For your exact situation, I think it would be fine for you to simply leave after the ceremony. For some events, I have drank pop all night and had fun and it has been fine. For other events, simply not going has been the option, to avoid all of the social strings attached to not drinking vs drinking. For other events, going home mid-way is a great option. Most likely, in the swing of things, people will not be as focused on the departure of one person as you might think.
                  Hill
                  Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                  X