Something Profound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something Profound

I want to share something that happened to me!
    I don't know how many of you guys are spiritually inclined but on the recommendation of a friend who has been sober for 8 years I have begun to view my struggle as being slightly out of my hands and in the hands of a 'higher power'. My view on spiritualism is what I would describe as progressive, I am a believer in the constance of energy through us, around us and beyond us and I am happy to surrender to the destiny which the universe will provide in sinc and accordance with that which I open myself up to. No disrespect to anyone else but the traditional notion of God and Heaven is not really for me and I say that as a confirmed but non-practising catholic. I think that Heaven and Hell define how we exist in the now.
    I recently started saying to myself that 'my destiny will be provided at the behest of the universe and I will accept the outcomes of my own actions' and other phrases to that effect. I had only been doing this for a matter of 6 or 7 hours when I had the most profound experience!
    One of the places I used to 'hide' from the reality of my feeling was in a couple of long-term, co-dependent relationships (this is still a compulsive fix that I need to be aware of). One of these relationships ended about three and half years ago rather painfully and as soon as it did I ended up getting involved with someone else which also ended but on a more amicable note. I never gave myself time to grieve for or heal properly from the first of these relationships and I never had the chance to apologize for some of the things I had done. We went our separate ways and the last I heard she was in Canada (I live in London, UK). The lack of reconciliation was something I was speaking to my therapist no less than three nights ago. Yesterday, I spent some time with a young person with learning difficulties whom I mentor, we were watching football/soccer. On my way home I reminded myself of the spiritual quote and perspective that I had started to practice earlier that day, and within minutes I glanced from my car to the side-walk..... and there she was, my ex! I couldn't believe it. In a city of the 13-14 million people she was standing right there. I can't begin to think of what the chances of that happening were, even the variables are too numerous to contemplate.
    I stopped and we talked for a while and I told her that I would drop her an email, and when I drove off I felt so moved I began to weep and when I got home I wept even more. Not so much for the memory of our painful seperation, or the joy at being able to say hi again but more so for the sheer magnitude of the sensation of Grace which I had just experienced. It felt as though the Universe had said, you are finally making good choices, here is a sign that this is the right road to take. It was..... FAR..... FREAKIN'.... OUT MAN!!!!!!!
    I'm off to Poland for a few days for my brothers wedding, I'll be in touch if I can get a Wifi connection otherwise I'll touch base early next week. This weekend will be a real test but I think there are a few of those on the way so it's just a case of stepping up to the mark, and asking that higher power for some help!

Peace out my friends!

Johnny.
    "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Something Profound

WOW!!! That gave me shivers up my spine!! Amazing!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Something Profound

I know!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! I was all I could do to stay grounded!
      "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Something Profound

How are you One?

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Something Profound

Not a bother Johnny, it good form here....funny enough I was only asking Chillgirl last night if she could recommend any books on spirituality! I really want to start exploring that side of things...I have always felt I have been searching for something...do you know what I mean?...like there is something missing from my life...

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Something Profound

The Power Of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Road Less Travelled by M Scott Peck are both very, very good! They both had a considerable effect upon me and I would heartily recommend them.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Something Profound

ooohh Thanks Johnny...off to order now!

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Something Profound

What an astonishing story !
                All things really ARE possible, aren't they ?
                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Something Profound

Amazing isn't it? LOVE that stuff!!!
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Something Profound

Hey Johnny,

Great stuff!! Glad you managed to meet your ex and hopefully find closure on that chapter!!!

Good going bro.
                    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Something Profound

I am with you on the spiritual thing Johnny, in fact if you look in the "What we believe" section of this forum you will find a full topic on it where some of us contribute daily affirmations etc. What happened to you was nothing short of a miracle, something where time and space altered to point you in the right direction, it does happen and you have to believe it, my problem is the time it takes for these thoughts to manifest, a bit like the blue feather in "Illusions by Richard Bach" it took him a day to see his feather, in time I will master this but one must also know what they want before the time buffer kicks in.

Comment

Something Profound

Yup, it's out there and it's in every one of us and it's amazing. Believe it.
                        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Something Profound

I'm so happy for you Johnny. What an amazing experience. Have a wonderful trip. You know where I'll be looking for you upon your return...techie
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Something Profound

Wow! That story is an example of one of those things that just don't seem to have any explanation. That is amazing. I had a similar experience, on a much smaller scale though. I had been talking to my counselor about my ex (that I never really felt closure with), and out of the blue, 2 days later my ex texted me (after about a year of silence). Through the course of the conversations we had over a weekend, I was finally able to get the closure I was looking for, and have finally felt free from him for the first time in 4 years. These types of things give me chills too!

Thanks for sharing!
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                            X