Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Club

Ok K9..you started this...what are we gonna read?????
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Book Club

Oh no, the pressure is on
      Maybe we should start with something not too difficult. We don't want to start all gung-ho and then burn out. Now the men are probably gonna yell, but I'm always a huge fan of Oprah's picks....
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Book Club

I'm waiting ............................... xxx
        sigpicXXX

Comment

Book Club

yeah an Oprah one is prob the way to go..
          "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Book Club

Oprah picks are GREAT!!!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Book Club

I'm reading a good one right now, it's a collection of 5 stories, I stumbled across it in the library the other day. It's called "Say You're One of Them". Maybe look it up and see if it's something you'd be interested in?

Comment

Book Club

Sigh I bought "What Alice forgot" by Liane Moriarty and its soooooo boring!

Comment

Book Club

I've always got a couple of paperbacks on the go and I am generally into non fiction, but having the opportunity to discuss the literary merits of various fictional texts appeals to me greatly. Consider me in, is anyone into Bukowski or Roddy Doyle. I also love the sense of achievement that goes with reading a classic.

Am I right in thinking the idea is, we all read the same text and discuss it?
                  "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Book Club

Okay, I've got 8 Oprah picks, none of which I've read. We can just pick at random I suppose (I trust Oprah!)

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom

Just Kids by Patti Smith

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich

Major Pettigrews Last Stand by Helen Simonson

A Ticket to the Circus by Norris Church Mailer

The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer

What is Left the Daughter by Howard Norman

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Comment

Book Club

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Too many choices!! I love the sound of the first one K9 but it is so hard to tell from a title right!!!
                      "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Book Club

K9 - I just googled the 1st few and I say lets start at the top with "where the God of love hangs out"
                        quite a few of the others are only available in Europe in hardback at the moment so are more expensive
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

Book Club

We can just start with the first one, I'm with you Johnny, it's so hard to tell by title. But we never know unless we take a chance.

So....unless we meet with opposition, I say our first book is:

Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom

Comment

Book Club

YEE-HA! I'm off to log on to Amazon now and then it's beddy-byes! Night Night

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Book Club

I'm an avid reader, and have recently stumbled onto John Krakauer's non-fiction. Into the Wild was mesmerizing, and Where Men Win Glory broke my heart.

Comment

Book Club

Does anyone except me use the Library?? :H

I'm too cheap to buy ALL the books I want to read (ok, frugal is a nicer word). I just reserved a copy at my library, they bring it in for a 50 cent fee. Can't beat that!

Comment

Working...
                                X