Forever Grateful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forever Grateful

Hello all...some of you may remember me, I was a bit of a fixture here two years ago. Today is a very special day for me and I wanted to share my story, hope and gratitude with you all.
    Two years ago today I came to these boards, filled with despair. I was so low and found the encouragement and hope that I so desperately needed. And even though I drifted away, I never forgot that this site and the people here are the reason I am sober today. I am so grateful for stumbling upon this site and for finding freedom from my 20 + year drinking problem. I used the CD's and supplements and cannot believe that I actually succeeded! So considering this personal milestone, I thought I would share a few things that I?ve held onto in the last two years, things I learned here.
    1. The quote ?It is easier to stay out than get out? (moderating was too much hard work for me).
    2. Think of others ? I would carry a token around in my pocket that said this phrase - to remind myself of how my drinking was hurting those I loved.
    3. My hand is a quadriplegic ? it can do nothing without my will. I am in control of it and I will not lift a drink to my lips!
    4. You have to want sobriety so bad you are willing to do anything for it - willing to feel uncomfortable at a party, willing to feel shy and awkward (at least that was me). Those feelings pass as you become stronger and one day you suddenly realize that there is so much strength inside of you that you didn't know you had!

Sobriety is a gift you give yourself. Every morning I wake up with a clear head and never have to worry about ?oh my God, what did I do last night ? who did I call??. I?m able to pick my kids up and take them places after 5pm and if there is an emergency overnight I am able to respond. It is FREEDOM. Five p.m. is no longer the witching hour for me, it now passes without a second thought. I have no desire at all to drink because I know in the morning I?m going to feel fantastic! So to all of you who are as desperate as I once was, please hang on and continue trying. It took me a while to make it stick, but so far so good! There is always hope, just never, ever give up!
    Eternally grateful to you all,
    Cindy
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Forever Grateful

Congratulations, River!!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

What an incredible testimony to your strength and fortitude. I wish only your dream of sobriety the rest of your life!!

Rusty

Comment

Forever Grateful

I remember you river and am so glad you came to share!
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Forever Grateful

Congrats river!
        So happy to hear your story - it will give hope to so many!
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Forever Grateful

Nice to see you Greenie ~ I've missed those toes

Comment

Forever Grateful

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It is folks like you that help reinforce what's possible!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Forever Grateful

thank you River for your post. Congratulations on 2 years!! That is huge!!

Your story and where you are now is very inspirational. It's thanks to people like you that I KNOW I will be able to post something very similar in 2 years.

:l
              New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Forever Grateful

Thanks for taking the time river. It's a big boost for all of us tarriers. Please come back from time to time...success stories never grow old.

Comment

Forever Grateful

River, I remember some of your saga. I was just beginning mine. Always remember each success; powerful, obvious, quiet, ongoing, is a milestone for those of us fighting this fight every day. I could have, maybe should have, left here a while ago with my success, but I'm drawn back by the new faces who like ours come in each day. As long as I have the time I'll do this. But stories like yours are a testament to what CAN happen in this magical place. So many have told me 'I never felt accepted till I came here', 'I never knew there were others.' It MEANS something. Someone has to carry on the story, the hope, the proof, that we CAN regain ourselves. Not our lives with AL, because it isn't, but our LIVES.
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Forever Grateful

I'm so happy for you! I, too am enjoying the many freedoms sobriety has to offer!

:goodjob::l
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Forever Grateful

Hey River... Fantastic. Congratulations on your 2nd year That is fantastic. REally great.

And thank you so much for coming back here to share so others can benefit from your success story.

Well, well done
                      AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Forever Grateful

RIVERS OF BABYLON...me old pal!!

I am soooooooooooooooooo proud of youxxxxx

Oney x
                        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Forever Grateful

Thank you, all for the cheers. I so happy to see so many old and new people on here - it just reinforces the fact that we are all in this together. I apologize for drifting away - it's funny that the stronger I began to feel, the less I wanted to think or talk about drinking. Does that make sense? Then I thought...what if all those people who drift away are assumed to be back on the bottle? I wanted to testify that no - that is not always the case and that MWO DOES WORK and you can really make it happen! I love quotes, so here's another one to remember: whether you think you can or can't, you are right.
                          You CAN do this! ♥
                          P.S. Oney, did they restart your post count when you hit the triple digits - haha Love you!

Comment

Forever Grateful

Hi River! Congratulations on 2 years AF. That is quite a milestone! I remember you. I think this journey has similarities and differences for all of us. Staying involved at MWO and with AA helping others and being helped is critical to my contented sobriety. I think for others, being so involved with many who are still struggling to quit drinking is not helpful. We all have to put our sobriety first and do whatever it takes. So glad you did that for you and for your loved ones.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Forever Grateful

river0123;895506 wrote:
                              P.S. Oney, did they restart your post count when you hit the triple digits - haha Love you!
                              LMAO, oney!!!!
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X