Turning Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Point

I am sitting in the Qantas Club, waiting to fly home after our 9 days on the east coast. It?s been an adventure to say the least, and a huge turning point.
    I was really quite anxious about this trip as I had to face a nemesis or two. One being whether I ?need? to drink to be acceptable in a social situation ? and the other ? the ?Giant Drop? at Dreamworld, a 120m drop at 135km/h, a ride that had beaten me five years ago when I chickened out and had to watch my six year old, my nine year old and my husband of four days quite happily do the ride again and again. It had haunted me ever since. Especially as my daughter enjoys telling how mummy chickened out and couldn?t do it and she could!
    Although I had quite abit of preparation before coming here by reading many posts from people who have a lot of AF time with lessons learnt the hard way, a lot of encouragement from you telling me I could do it, to be completely honest (for a change as I am learning), I knew I would drink while here.
    And I did.
    However I am GLAD I did. It has dispelled so many myths I had built up about Alcohol. I had nearly six months of not drinking and missing it every day. I hated the thought of never being able to drink again. I felt like I had something taken away from me and I was sulking. I thought the fact that I wasn?t drinking now was the reason I have been struggling so hard with depression. I thought that as soon as I got that ?lovely? buzz I would feel fantastic and could do anything. I thought that I would be able to hold conversations with strangers and make sense.
    What a load of shit those thoughts were. It was NOTHING like that at all. The first night I drank, there was actually no reason to drink as I was in a dreaded social situation however there was so many other distractions that if I tried I could have got away without drinking. I didn?t get drunk although the next day I felt like crap! All those poisons floating around in my body reminding me what I felt like on a daily basis before January this year. I am actually glad I had a hangover ? it was a huge reminder for me.
    The next time, I waited for the words to magically appear so I could have a conversation. They didn?t come. There goes that theory. And I could actually dance without being pissed... And I probably didn?t look like the idiot I used to, falling all over the place.
    All these things that I thought I ?needed? AL to be able to do just wasn?t true. So much of what I had thought about AL was purely me changing the past to suit myself. I really thought it was a better life, being able to drink. Oh how wrong I was.
    Not only did I go on the Giant Drop (sober) with my daughter who is now eleven years old, I went on a Fly Coaster ( a huge swing like thing that you get strapped into, hoisted up 40 metres then pull a cord to swing down a dozen times ?Like a side ways bungee). And I was absolutely petrified waiting in line to go on these rides. However I felt the fear and did it anyway. And I can relate that so much to not drinking. It is frightening removing something from my life that I had for 30 years and learning how to live a different life. But it can be done. Life is so much better without AL. I can see that now. Luckily I didn?t do too much damage proving it to me, but I learnt such a valuable lesson.
    (I am going to the doctors when I get home. I am going to sort out this depression I have been denying for so long. )
    I will be back soon, however still might need a bit of "me" time.
    Take care and I have realllllly missed you all.
    XXX
    I finally got it!
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Turning Point

Great post! I'm really happy to read this.
    See you soon.

Comment

Turning Point

hi hippychick, lovely post :-) see you soon.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Turning Point

Just beautiful Hippy Chick!

You are beautiful, your family is beautiful, and your family's family are beautiful!
        You are right. 'It can be done', and you will do it.

Bravo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Turning Point

Hippy Chick - Fantastic post! When the realization hits you, its like seeing the world through different eyes. Not only did you do the Giant Drop but more importantly the "penny dropped" for you....
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Turning Point

Testing the waters seems like a strange rite of passage that many of us have to go through. Good to see you on the other side.

As for those rides... :chute:
            sigpic
            AF since December 22nd 2008
            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Turning Point

I'm so glad you posted. I was wondering about you and your vacation yesterday. I completely understand what you were going through as we talked on my not 2 years thread. Keeping the bigger picture in mind is always good.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Turning Point

Hippy..I am so darn proud of your courage and thanks for sharing about the uesless need for al in our lives.......great post honey
                now....go get some meds for depression...I take effexor and it is a lifesaver
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Turning Point

That was really encouraging and heart warming to read. Thank you for posting it Hippy
                  AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
                  One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

Turning Point

Fantastic post hippy. It is so true how powerfully our thinking draws us to alcohol, even after long periods of sobriety. However. we have our bodies to remind of the disastrous effect of picking up again. Those of us fortunate enough to take heed of that warning are the lucky ones. We can pull ourselves back. I'm so very glad you're one of those hippy. You are such a cool giving person. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us. It's a good learning for all.
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Turning Point

Hey HC!! So good to hear from you!! I loved your post and I can see the lightbulb popping on over your head!! Good on you!!
                      I can't believe you did those rides but again, good on you!! You are such a brave person and I do believe fundamentally you are a risk taker (in a good way) so you should build on that. If you can do those 2 rides, you can talk to strangers sober.
                      Can't wait to hear more about your trip. Hope the convention went well for your hubby.
                      Miss you!!!
                      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Turning Point

Yes, it is poison, and it feels like it. Remember that and continue on. And congratulations on overcoming your fear - those rides would have scared the crap out of me!
                        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Turning Point

Thanks for sharing HC - its a great reminder to us all that are ever tempted to give in.. AL tells us lies! Life IS so much better AF.. enjoy your well-deserved "me" time..
                          Katie xx
                          "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Turning Point

Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and support. Every day there is a lesson to be learnt.
                            Back home now and feeling very positive I can pick up where I left off with staying sober. I have the doctors appointment booked and feel quite relieved I dont have to live with the darkness for much longer.
                            Thanks again and I look forward to catching up on all your posts soon.
                            Hippy
                            I finally got it!
                            "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Working...
                            X