Peer Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peer Pressure

You know the saying "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen"?

Apply it to drinking situations and drinking friends. Peer pressure is powerful. Studies prove it. It's also an easy excuse.

I'm bring this up now because the 4th of July with beer and BBQ is approaching and because I want to pair it up with Sheri's excellent post about being willing to be AF. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ree-43349.html

Over and over and over I read posts of someone drinking in a social situation where they should not have been or were not prepared for. If you are worried about it, STAY HOME!! Guess what? The world won't stop turning because you weren't there. If you feel you are able to go (I intentionally said "able to", not "must"), then make sure you HAVE A PLAN.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lan-41280.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

I'll leave you with this. Long ago I was doing a 30 day AF stint. Date and I went to a play and to friends' house to do something besides the bar scene. Friends were drinking, we were not. The one friend drunkenly tries to get me to imbibe and says how I'm no fun not drinking. My feelings were hurt and it touched that fear we have of going totally AF (you know the one) but I held my ground. He's dead and I'm not.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Peer Pressure

Thanks Greenie. Important stuff. We have all succumbed to peer pressure especially during a holiday or ten. It is always good to be mindfull of what temptations are out there during gatherings of family and friends.
    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Peer Pressure

Greenie, this is an excellent post to compliment Sheri's earlier one. Also a great reminder that this is not about whether we are "fun" in some drunk person's opinion. This is about life and death.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Peer Pressure

I like to think of peer pressure as a middle-school thing. Doesn't always work tho.

Comment

Peer Pressure

Some people have jobs in which socializing/schmoozing with clients is a requirement and the pressure to participate can be more than you think. Peer pressure isn't just about the backyard neighbor's "Aw, come on, one won't hurt." A plan and tools really are essential.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Peer Pressure

that's me Greenie. I'm an IT exec in Manhattan. It is standard operating procedure to take clients out on the town when we close a deal. So, I've notified the few haunts in midtown where I usually entertain. They know to pour me seltzer with a twist! When the pressure is really on I tell them I'm training for a race!!
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Peer Pressure

Awwh, Greenie, what an amazing, thoughtful, intelligent woman you are! I'm proud to know you, and so happy you're here to post such helpful, insightful posts!
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Peer Pressure

Great post greenie :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Peer Pressure

And we've been blessed to host our 6 grands for 3 days and 2 nights. What could be better??? And what could be worse than seeing a drunken pair of grandparents. I'm just bursting with joy.
                  sigpic
                  Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                  X