NY Times Article on AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY Times Article on AA

My problem with AA is that I was one of the failures. They read a phrase at every meeting that goes something like: "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path". It goes on to state to the effect that :"those who fail would not or could not be honest with themselves."
    So when I failed I felt like an even worse failure because I was one of the "few" who fail ( which turns out to not be true) and/ or I wasn't capable of honesty! (I suspect I am as honest with myself as the next person).It was a sort of blame the victim situation for me and put me back quite a bit.
    I finally was able to stop drinking when I went on baclofen6 months ago. For me I needed the craving reduction and finally found it. I would feel hypocritical going back to AA, even tho I like the group support part of it. I would not be able to mouth the words they read at each session. I am happy for those of you for whom it works but I wish they would update their "bible" (Big Book) which was written in the 30s and fails to mention anything of what we have learned about alcohol addiction since then.

Comment

NY Times Article on AA

Sunny the most sensible post I have ever read on AA. I respect those it has worked for ( I tried it and felt entirely as you did). In my opinion having a al problem is not purely about honesty its about illness, we are sick not weak ! I beat myself up for years a tmy failure to remain sober, I certainly dont need anybody else to point it out to me !. As many know on this forum I bang the drum for medication especially baclofen, which is working great for me and many . I have to honest I am not overly aware of the sucess rates of AA but I feel fairly confident in saying it is not very high and as far as I am aware it involves attending numerous weekly meeting to remain sober and 'slipping' is never that far away. With baclofen this is not the case once its done its job the desire to drink is gone so with it the fear of being around al or taking a drink which would take you right back to day one ! I also agree about the big book, life has moved on from the 30's .

I make no apologe for posting my views on AA and meds as this site was originally built on the premise of medication as a means to help al problems not the principles of AA , I am sure there is an AA site for that ! and I reguarly read posts of people decrying meds which is a shame as I would like everybody to take them and achieve the results I have after 30 years of distructive drinking which effected me and my childrens life, my two sons are 13 and 21 and they now have a sober mother who has self respect diginity and most imprtantly hope.

To finish the key of this site is on the name My Way Out, each to their own ! and who the heck is agent orange ??? sounds like someting from a juice bar ? lol

Comment

NY Times Article on AA

Glad to feel I am not alone on this. I, too, finally succeeded on baclofen after many failed sincere attempts. I know of 5 others in my town who, so far, are also doing well after failing at AA. Half of them are still going to meetings for the community aspects. One of them told me she was told not to mention the medicine in the meeting! I thought that was seriously problematic. Why would anyone want peopl NOT to know about ALL their options? I think we need all the tools in the tool box. I don't go to AA anymore because I would feel compelled to say "YOU LIE" when they read those paragraphs! (ala joe wilson). But I think the secret will get out in time. I am 58 years old and abused alcohol from age 15 or so so I know this is different.
        Thanks for your post
        Sunny

Comment

Working...
        X