Not such a positive note.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today has ended badly. I know the reasons why and I seen it coming but it's still here and I'm in a shit mood. Sober I might friggin add but only just. Had a gig last night with an Impro troop that I've been rehearsing with and although the feedback was good I didn't feel too positive about it.

Why; Heat, Noise of traffic due to open windows and my mind being distracted by a woman. She's bloody lovely, nice looking, talented, funny and put frankly I like her. When I sit next to her it feels good, and I think she may feel the same way. In fact at our final preparations she kissed me in a scene and it put me in a tailspin! I also got positive signs from her last night at the show and we get on well. All in all for anyone who is not in the early stages of recovery it would be a win win situation. Unfortunately I have to move as though I'm walking through a bloody minefield. I could very well ask her out, she may say yes, we may get on and we may start seeing each other. However I know that relationships are a hiding place for me. I know it more than ever since I gave up the drink and I know that I am too vulnerable to get involved with anyone at the moment. I like her too much just to shag her and the sober me does not like playing that way any how, I am more sensitive than I ever let on when I was drinking and in truth I know I would be happy to fall for this girl so as far as I can see it at the moment the only choice I have is to walk away. I could send an email explaining the intricacies of my reluctance to make a move but frankly I am too scared. AL would have been my final hiding place in this sort of situation. I know I need to stay single cause it's only 10 or 11 weeks since my last relationship ended and I need to heal from that, so in the past I would go and have a few drinks and that would be that. I would get over her easily enough (or so I'd think).

Bottom line is I'm pissed off with it. I was at an AA meeting tonight and I felt like sharing and I knew the time was running out and I felt myself getting angry 'fucking hurry up' I was thinking. I did share but not about this, I realise now that I should have. I walked past a couple of pubs on the way home and all I could do was think about a drink. A woman in the meeting said 'I loved the taste of AL, I was a real ale drinker' she said it in an honest and constructive way but all I could think was 'me too love, I fucking love it, and I would love a cool one right now!'. Walking past the pub on the way home I felt my Alcoholism more than ever.

In short I am feeling it and 'it' is frustration, anger a sense of self pity and sadness at the fact that I know I am not in a place where I can make a move on this girl. I know there will be some of you thinking 'be honest' let her know the situation, and the less angry me (hence the Avatar switch) would no doubt agree, but I don't feel like being reasonable at the moment, I feel like being pissed off!

Still fucking sober!!!
    "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Still sober? Magnificent. Feel like being pissed off? I say, go for it. Anger's an honest emotion. No reason to fight it; lean into it. It will pass, and along will come another feeling that's yours to own rather than hide from with AL. Sounds to me like you're getting your humanity back. Bravo!!

Pie

Comment

Hi johnny.
        Seems like you and I are feeling the same way today. I am glad you wrote this post because I needed to read some of the responses to keep me on track
        I am 5 weeks sober and today I feel absolutely miserable miserable miserable miserable. Normallly I would have drank a bottle or two of something..then danced in my living room.... have a hangover the next day that all I cared about was getting rid of it. But like you I dont want to go back to square one and I know that I cant drink just that one blasted drink. So its just me and my emotions tonight. Not even chocolate is helping with this one.
        I even went to an AA meeting tonight and I still feel like shit! I think you are doing the right thing with this girl you really fancy. You are still healing so I wouldnt rush into it...but who am I to give advice?None of my relationships have evr been smooth sailing!

Anyway. Just to let you know that someone in the UK is also feeling the same way as you tonight. Sober and miserable. But I am determined to get through this. Glad you are too. That inspires me!
        x
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Hi Johnny. I agree that being pissed off is an honest emotion - go ahead and feel it and ride it out. Better than dousing it with AL and trying to manipulate it like we always did with our feelings and AL.

Me and another AA friend of mine went to the international conference in San Antonio TX last weekend. Something happened for her, and right there at the biggest gathering of AA's in the world, she wanted to drink. And she didn't call/tex me, and she wandered around in the middle of 57,000 other AAers and didn't ask for help. She didn't drink either, but she found it unsettling to say the least. We talked about it at length. The lesson for her AND for me in that incident was that we DO need to reach out when we need help.

I too have been in meetings where the time comes to a close before everyone has had a chance to speak. My tendancy would be to feel angry inside and leave the meeting and the people feeling like crap. What I need to make sure I do in that situation, is to say at the end of the meeting "I'm struggling right now and would like to talk to someone after..." or after the meeting is over, approach someone and ask if they could talk to me for a bit.

I am still working to accept that all of these other AAers are operating on the founding premise that helping other alcoholics is key to all of our sobriety. That means they are willing to help me when I need it. I'm a lot quicker to offer help than I am to ask for it.

Anyway, I APPLAUD you for staying sober despite a rough patch. That's what it's all about - not drinking no matter what. :yougo: The rest of what I posted is just banter.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank you guys, it has passed. I decided to write the girl an email, complimenting her and letting her know I'd be up for dinner some time if she fancied it, I suppose much of the anger came from the fear of exposure and rejection. Done now. I can move on.
            "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

Johnny, that sounds like a good plan! Glad the bad moment is passed.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X