transplants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transplants

Emily ( UK ) who speaks below has been waiting for a lung transplant for 18 months. She is on 24 hour oxygen and works endlessly to raise awareness of the need for organ donors. She is the bravest girl. If I can encourage even one of you to enrol then this will have helped.

" I can’t help but get frustrated. The general consensus of the population is that people support organ donation and survey after survey shows that people would like to be organ donors in the event of their death. Yet there is still such a discrepancy, only 22% of people are on the organ donor register, and still the number of transplants is decreasing. Whilst I am determined to keep on raising awareness at times I feel like I am fighting a losing battle.

It is true that every day we receive messages from people who have been touched by our campaign or who have learned that they can sign up via the net and have done so straight away (this is the most common response) but I cannot contact everyone in the country to make sure they have considered the topic… and I am running out of time. I mentioned the dizziness and puffy spells at clinic, and they explained that my heart has to work pretty hard now due to teenytiny lungs, then gently told me that perhaps I need to slow down a bit. This is not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear that there is something miraculous that they can do to keep my lungs holding on that bit longer, to improve them a bit more and to help me last that extra mile whilst I wait for my transplant, but they can’t do that.

As my mum pointed out on the way home (which made me want to deck her although it is clearly not her fault and she is 100% right) it is down to luck really. If I am lucky enough to be in the 50% that get this transplant then yay, fantastic, the possibility of some years with healthy lungs is an exciting contemplation, but because it is down to luck, this is why I have decided to go out and live life now, not cocoon away in a self preservative manner. But it still makes me sad, I am not brave, I am greedy and desperately want to keep on living."
    Enough is enough

transplants

update

Emily received her transplant in January.

After a worrying wait she is now out of hospital and is enjoying the pleasures of making her mum a cup of tea and helping to wash up; everyday things we take for granted that were impossible for her before.

She is thrilled that she can go out (still in her wheelchair at the moment until she can build up her strength) for more than 2 hours without needing to return to refill her oxygen cylinder.

All thanks to the donor family. God bless them.:h
    Enough is enough

Comment

transplants

Donors

Hi Waves, Have signed up.... something I've been meaning to do... as I am sure hundreds of us .... have been meaning to do. It really is soooo easy, just click, clickety click...

Thanks for the reminder

Lorna xx
      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

transplants

update

This is Emily's blog from Friday.

"I jumped in the car earlier, to pick up my sisters, who had spent the afternoon being posh ladies who dine out in London. I approached the station and could see them chatting and waving excitedly. The journey home was filled with tales from the day, and they had bought me the most awesome box of marzipan fruits (I swear these things actually look like fruits and veg, and they are strange ones, Melon, Corn etc..!) from Harrods, and had generally had a wonderful time. I dropped them off at home, still glowing, and drove off towards my house.

As I turned onto the main road I started to cry. Cry with happiness. I sobbed thank you, I don't know where to or why, but just overwhelming gratitude to my donor and their family. Without them I would be dead by now, and instead I am driving round, picking up my sisters, going out with friends for the day tomorrow and generally living my life. My family are no longer chained to staying within a phonecalls reach of me, should I need anything or should Harefield call. They have also got their lives back, and this evening was a beautiful demonstration to me of how things have changed.

I still can't believe my luck, I still can't believe it has happened, but my god am I going to make this count."

Have you signed up to be a donor? We may be wrecking our livers but other parts can be useful.
        Enough is enough

Comment

Working...
        X