Do I have a case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have a case?

I've been doing some research online and it says 30 to 40% of women who have gastric bypass become alcohol dependent. Not one time before I got the surgery did anybody warn me or tell me this info. Not even the psyh doctor she never even asked me if I had a history of alcoholism in my family which I do. Actually she seemed a lil off herself. Come to think of it my regular Doc said he would have never approved of me getting the surgery because I wasn't that over weight and it was all in my head and I could have worked the weight off....

Do you guys think I have a case?
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Do I have a case?

Don't know about that.

But It's wrong for sure that the consultation wasn't done properly.

I think it is accepted that if your BMI is greater then 40 you're a case that should and could be considered for gastric bypass surgery.

The fact that drinking will become a problem and that is particularly a problem if you allready have a drinking problem should have surely been discussed in the consultation. If not then I must certainly agree that they've done a bad, bad job.

I know my aunt who's had it done told me that you shuldn't drink for months after the surgery and even then your body could only cope with very little quantities of AL. I have other family who's had that surgery too. They were alcoholics before But since the surgery they've turned into black out drinkers for the first time. Before they could sort of handle the booze and get themselves to bed, past surgery they drink themselves to blackout and can't remember how they got to bed, or they woke up somewhere else in the house, etc., etc.
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Do I have a case?

Fallonsmom, did you fill out any questionairres or answer any questions at the doctors office or anywhere along they way about drinking? Every time I see a new doctor for something, there is always the medical questionairre. And the medical questionairre always has questions about smoking and drinking. I always lied about the drinking part. That might be a problem if you have done that too.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Do I have a case?

JohnnyH I never had a drinking problem before this NEVER but it seemed like after my Moms murder and finding out my husband cheated the same day... It went downhill from there before this surgery I wouldn't have turned to the booze.

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

Doggygirl;905092 wrote: Fallonsmom, did you fill out any questionairres or answer any questions at the doctors office or anywhere along they way about drinking? Every time I see a new doctor for something, there is always the medical questionairre. And the medical questionairre always has questions about smoking and drinking. I always lied about the drinking part. That might be a problem if you have done that too.

DG

yup I did but before the surgery I never drank

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

Oh I see. Well I can understand the fact that one can turn problematic in drinking after the surgery. I believe after gastric bypass a glass of wine can make one mightily tipsy allready. So if that means that every time you touch a drink turns out into being drunk, it can't be long before one gets addicted?!
            AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Do I have a case?

They should have definately advised you of the dangers of AL after gastric bypass. that's for sure.
              AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

johnnyh;905101 wrote: Oh I see. Well I can understand the fact that one can turn problematic in drinking after the surgery. I believe after gastric bypass a glass of wine can make one mightily tipsy allready. So if that means that every time you touch a drink turns out into being drunk, it can't be long before one gets addicted?!

right I get drunk off of a half of pint of vodka now...

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

They never mentioned anything in terms of the dangers of drinking?!
                  AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

I have an addictive personality. I have substituted one bad habit for another at all times in my life except right now.

This is my problem and will crop up if I don't address it. I don't know you, but for me in the past if I didn't find a substitute for addictive behavior it will crop out somewhere. It could be over eating, over spending, gambling, sex addiction, drinking....

It's not what I choose to do that causes the addiction, but what I choose not to do that keeps me from the bad behavior.

Comment

Do I have a case?

They never mentioned anything in terms of the dangers of drinking?! (at
                      AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

they told me to not drink any AL for one year and I did that. then everything came crashing down I remember cleary I was driving home from identifying my Moms body and I stopped at the sprits store
                        d
                        o
                        w
                        n
                        h
                        i
                        l
                        l

from there

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

by the way my BMI was 37 (smh) I should have never done it

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

oh I see. Yeah I guess that's the standard thing they do tell you for the post op. My fam members who became blackoutdrinkers started drinking MUCH sooner again though. I think as early as 3/4 weeks post op.

I guess with time it will become one of those things they will warn about.
                            AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Do I have a case?

I was considering at one stage. my BMI was 41. Problem was, it was high enough for the docs to consider but my medical aid wouldn't contribute unless my BMI was higher then 45. how stupid was that?! they basically motivated me to pick up a couple more kilos quickly.
                              AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X