Antabuse Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Question

Last night I drank two bottles of wine and ended up making some very embarrassing phone calls and drunk emails. I am absolutely mortified with myself, I never want to show my face to those people ever again. I have decided that I need to go back on Antabuse.

I am wondering if you think it would be okay to take a prescription that is 2 years old? There is no expiry date on the bottle as I had to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it made. I can't get into the doctor until next week, and I can't wait that long. Apparently the shelf life is 5 years. Do you think if it has expired, it could hurt me?

Antabuse Question

Can you call a pharmacy to ask them? Im certainly not qualified to answer that question.

Im glad you are making a decision to go back on Antabuse. Sounds like you are familiar with it. Did it work good for you before??

There are several of us (including me) that are taking Antabuse. You will have some company of people who are on it thats for sure!

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Overit
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Antabuse Question

Thanks. I will call in the morning.

I used Antabuse two years ago and it worked. I quit wanting to quit so I just stopped taking them.

I can't go on like this though. I almost got in the car and drove last night. That would have been a disaster. Someone was watching over me!

Comment

Antabuse Question

I agree. Best now to put the brakes on before it gets any worse. Think of this as a second chance.

It sounds like you have done good on the Antabuse before? Thats good so you are familiar with it. I took my very first Antabuse about a week ago, so this is still new territory for me too. Its a new experience and one I am getting used to. Its good and I can see why people like it. It really does make you change your ways and quickly.

I would say go for it again with the Antabuse. Looking forward to learning how your doing!
        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Antabuse Question

Yes, hon, call your pharmacist. That's who I turn to for these questions. Great realizing the need to stop this now, and don't worry too much about what you did. It can't be fixed, it was a fact, but those people you contacted will see the change in you over time. Trust me, I (and many others) have suffered from drunk dialing, etc. Just let it be an example of WHY you want to be AF.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Antabuse Question

Mornings!!

Well done Swattie on deciding to give sobriety another shot.!!!

Let us know how it goes. Well done!!!

(I agree with the previous posters bout calling the pharmacist.)
            AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Antabuse Question

Hi Swattie!
              I too am on Antabuse, I have been taking it for 98 days. It was the best decision I've ever made. Sounds like you had a good experience with it in the past too. I agree with the others about contacting your pharmacist. I don't think that expired pills will hurt you, if anything they would just lose their potency. Also, assuming no permanent damage was done, I wouldn't worry about your actions the other night. We have ALL been there, the drunk dialing, texing, emailing (I've done it all, more times than I care to remember). Just move on from here. Good luck...keep us posted on your progress.
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Antabuse Question

Thanks everyone.

I phoned the pharmacy, and they said there should be no adverse reactions if the Antabuse has expired. The pharmacist quoted that the shelf life is one year, but the internet websites on the subject say it is 5 years.

Has anyone done the alcohol skin test while on Antabuse? Did you get a reaction?

I'm a bit scared to take the first pill - ahhh!

Comment

Antabuse Question

Swattie~
                  I have not done any sort of testing while on Antabuse. There are certain products I won't use though, like facial astringent which is mostly alcohol. I haven't had any reactions to anything so far, either foods or products. It is a bit scary to take the first pill, but once you've done it, it's also a sense of relief. My first few days of taking it I was worried about everything, but now I don't even think about it. As long as you don't ingest any alcohol, you will be fine! Let us know how it goes...
                  K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Antabuse Question

Hey Swattie, you've taken the Antabuse yet?!! Do it. Do it
                    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Antabuse Question

Swattie;905744 wrote: Last night I drank two bottles of wine and ended up making some very embarrassing phone calls and drunk emails. I am absolutely mortified with myself, I never want to show my face to those people ever again. I have decided that I need to go back on Antabuse.
                      All of the advice about calling the pharmacy sounds right on. I know nothing about Antabuse except what I've read on the net. They say you should let your body detox for a couple of days before taking it tho' in case it reacts with any alcohol that is still in your system. Just wanted to add that. Best of luck...
                      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Working...
                      X