Do Happy: Stop Explaining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You feel frustrated about your progress toward your goals, so you tell your friends about the odds stacked against you. You don?t want them to think you?re a failure.

You feel unusually anxious before a performance evaluation so you tell your coworker about everything that?s riding on this promotion. You don?t want her to think you?re neurotic.

You feel subdued at your family reunion, so you tell your father you have a lot on your mind. You don?t want him to think you?re antisocial.

We often feel the need to justify our feelings, like everyone outside is watching, assessing and forming judgments. The truth is they often are.

We all watch other people?it?s hard not to; they surround us. We all assess other people?it gives us a break from assessing ourselves. And we all judge other people?it?s usually when we don?t understand and we?re scared.

Knowing these things are inevitable, we?re left with two options:
    • Constantly explain ourselves to preserve how we?d like to be seen?even though it?s generally fruitless.Accept that our feelings will change all the time, and that we?re allowed to feel them?and that other people deal with the same things.
    You?re entitled to a quiet afternoon if you don?t feel like engaging, even if you?re usually bubbly. You?re allowed to feel anxious when dealing with uncertainty, whether someone?s watching or not. You?re even allowed to cry if you feel overwhelmed, frustrated, confused, lonely, or any emotion that makes you feel like crying. And it could potentially help. Research has proven crying out negative feelings actually reduces harmful chemicals that build up in your body due to stress.

Instead of devoting your energy to pretending you feel fine?and explaining why it may seem otherwise?let yourself feel what you feel. And let people think what they want. They?re going to do it anyway. It?s just what people do. Instead of explaining why you don?t seem perfect, or thinking you need to forgive yourself for it, let yourself be human without apologies. Everyone else is, too. No one is always together.

Sometimes it makes sense to explain yourself?when someone misunderstands, or when you hurt someone accidentally. But most often the only person who needs an explanation is you so you can understand, accept, and work through whatever is on your mind. And then actually feel
    better, instead of just trying to look better.

This article was written by Lori Deschene
    taken from the website tinybuddha.com

Many Blessings
    Phil

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Interesting Article Phil, Thanks for that. We do spend a lot of time justifying our feelings, don't we?!!
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

LOVE ir, makes too much sense x
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Oney, excuse me, arent' you suppose to be cleaning yer house?!!
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

I was cleaning my desk and something made me check real quick...glad I did, that post was meant for me. xx

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

OCD they call that 'quick checking' :H

Great post Phil!! Sorry to be highjacking your thread like this
            AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

johnnyh;906158 wrote: OCD they call that 'quick checking' :H

Great post Phil!! Sorry to be highjacking your thread like this
              No explanation needed Johnny!!!:H
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

hippie37;906163 wrote: No explanation needed Johnny!!!:H
                love it & I dont think Johnny even realized he was doing it!

Hippie I love this article and it struck a cord with me because it made me realize that part of the reason I am so craving solitude at the moment is exactly because I am tired of being all things to all people. My sobriety has really opened this up for me and I just want to be exactly who I am at whenever I choose. Perhaps Im avoiding interaction because Im still not quite comfortable to not explain myself therefore its easier to be alone.
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Thanks Phil
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

True Dat! Thanks Hippie

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Thank you, as always, my wise young friend. You are a real beacon of hope and experience here.
                      Not to focus on me here, but an experience I had in rehab was SO telling. A young woman, who'd been using drugs since her teens, developed an instant dislike (to put it mildly!) to me. I was older, had a good life, and was working hard to reclaim it. And the 'momma' in me made me care, be interested, gentle and tolerant of the others. I thought I was doing the right thing, turning the other cheek, trying to please, soothe my attackers. After a particularly ugly showdown with her, and her cultivated following, I apologized to her for upsetting her, and headed for the phone to call Hubs to come get me. He already knew what I was going through, and had called the director of the place to express his anger. A counselor intercepted me, asked for a few minutes before I made the call, and I was confronted with all the staff. I really got no support for my past actions, though they knew what was going on. Instead, they asked me to be completely silent for 24 hours. As they explained it, I felt even more attacked, but I agreed to the time period. It was the MOST amazing thing that ever happened to me. (I was also told to quit being so damn nice to those who were doing this.) For the time period, I had time to really think about the sincerity of my past words, how I REALLY felt about things, and it drove my attackers NUTS. Very hard to explain how life changing this was.
                      I had been so concerned about making everyone happy and comfortable, I wasn't working on ME. My lifetime experience of putting everyone, anyone, first, was finally confronted, and I realized how vacuous it had all seemed. The woman couldn't focus on herself because of her obsession with being better, more popular, than me was her OWN sickness.
                      From that day forward, things really changed. I finally understood what others thought of me were not nearly as important as the work I needed, and deserved, on myself. Being honest, a bit self-centered, and focused on MY recovery was so much more important than others opinion.
                      I take no joy in saying that I've come a long way, but that poor lost woman, the last I heard, was living on the street, shunned by her family, selling herself for the drugs she craved. And that is very hard for me bear, since I still feel some responsibility towards her. But I DO know now that it's OK not to bear the weight of the world, unless I've cleaned up MY world first. I don't have to be universally loved. A lot of people don't like me. I've learned to accept that, and put my sobriety first. It's the only way I can be strong enough to help others, as well as myself.
                      Phil, a long time ago I heard, to paraphrase, something that's stuck with me. Don't worry about what others think of you. Most of the time they don't think of you at all. Hard, but true.
                      I hope I've not taken to much time here from your wonderful post. Somehow, when we need you, you're here. Thank you. And again, I apologize for talking about me so much. I just wish others could have the sort of revelation I did during that experience. Sometimes we have to step out of the box and really look at ourselves, and what and why we find things important.
                      sigpic
                      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Wow Ruby...certainly food for thought...fantastic post.

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Hay Hippie......here' a wise saying:
                          "The greatest personal limitation is to be found not in the things you want to do and can't, but in the things you've never considered doing."
                          Richard Bandler

?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

I love it!! Thanks!

Comment

Chillgirl;906173 wrote: love it & I dont think Johnny even realized he was doing it!

Hippie I love this article and it struck a cord with me because it made me realize that part of the reason I am so craving solitude at the moment is exactly because I am tired of being all things to all people. My sobriety has really opened this up for me and I just want to be exactly who I am at whenever I choose. Perhaps Im avoiding interaction because Im still not quite comfortable to not explain myself therefore its easier to be alone.
                              I love your honesty Chill.:l I can so relate to that feeling of wanting the solitude. I can get so caught up in the collective insanity of the world that I need to take a step back and be a spectator for a while whilst I identify what's mine, what's others' and how much of me have I given away or has been taken from me. Maybe when I'm more spiritually fit I won't have to do that. But for now, I'm happy to take time out in solitude to take care of my needs and maybe do some drumming, meditation, listen to music, etc. to revitalise me. I'm still putting action in around my needs so I don't see it as isolation or running away. It's just taking care of myself in a healthy way until I can be a bit more assertive with other people and how they may effect me.

Likewise Rubes, thanks for being open and honest.

It was said on more than a few occasions to me in treatment, by my peers, that they didn't really know me very well. They knew I was a really nice guy etc etc but they didn't feel close to me in anyway. I was Mr. Nice Guy Extraordinaire. It finally got to a stage though where I was feeling so uncomfortable around people because my superficial attitudes were no longer serving my needs. It was wearing thin with the other people in treatment and I was starting to feel very disconnected again. I wanted to run from treatment many times during this period but I stuck at it and finally broke down in tears because of the frustration, loneliness and anger I felt. Finally I had managed to get from my head to me heart!! It was a very defining moment for me and things started to change rapidly from then on. Pity I was nearly half way through treatment!! But that's the way it had to be for me. It wasn't right or wrong it was just my journey.

Much love and respect:l
                              Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X