Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and lost

Hey there...
    I am new here and am very motivated to stop my 2 year nightly drinking habit.
    I have between 6 to 10 beer a night.Sometimes more.

I am an artist and use booze to relax.
    What started as a beer or two a night has blossomed into a problem I want help with.
    I worry I need booze to work but that is just a cop out.
    I am on meds
    zoloft
    clonazapam
    valproic acid as I am bi-polar.
    I am on very low doses and was told in April that the amount of meds I am taking is sub therapeutic.
    I do have tenderness around my liver area but have had a recent ultrasound that
    I started drinking when I was 16 and quit COLD Turkey in 1995.
    No help from a doctor
    I was sober for 13 years and then for some stupid reason I took it up again.
    I really want this to work but I am very uncomfortable about talking with my Dr.
    I live in Canada and I am not sure if we have the same meds.
    I want to moderate my drinking to a safe level and use tapering Off to control withdrawl
    I am not able to spend a ton of money but will sign up for the e-book and as a subscriber...

Any advice on where to start besides the provided info would be great...
    I really do want to lose the weight I have gained.
    I want to feel better
    And to do what I did in 1995...
    I want to be free.
    Thanks for any/all suggestions:new:

New and lost

Admom, welcome. Yes, your story is very common here. Have you checked out the toolbox on Long Term Abstainers?
    First, decide what you really need and want for the future. It doesn't have to be in stone, but a plan for releasing yourself from this. And most people start off by wanting to mod, be 'normal'. If that works, it's wonderful. But after a while, you may find it's just not that important in your life to have AL in it. That's what's happened to many of us.
    There are some really great stories here. Go to 'Tell Us Your Story', and you'll realize you are not alone. I would strongly suggest you do 30 days AF, before you try to figure out what you want long term. Join some of the threads here (army, journey, dizilzeds) and meet people who will support you daily.
    What part of Canada are you in. One of my closest friends is in Alberta. PM me if I can be of more help, but others will join in here to help you. This is a lifesaving place.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

New and lost

Welcome admom7!

You will find tons of support and valuable information here!

I live in Canada as well.

Just to let you know that I was on a lot of medication two years ago because my drinking caused me a lot of anxiety, depression and my doctor honestly thought I had bi-polar. My symptoms were such as someone who is bi-polar. I was on Divalproex, and a couple of other drugs for depression and bi-polar.

It was only after I was sober for several months, my bi-polar symptoms went away completely! My anxiety and that doom and gloom feeling went away. The 'roller coaster' moods went away. My attention span and coping skills started to come back.

I still deal with a bit of depression, but it runs in my family. I am on Wellbutrin now and have been for quite sometime. I love it as it keeps me even keeled. Keeps me from dipping into a depression when life can be stressful.

I haven't been consistently sober the past two years. I have had a few binges (about 5 - which never went past 4 days), but compared to drinking every night - and a lot each night/day.... I have done awesomely, thanks to this site, my doctor and my old counselor.

All I can say, is that alcohol can really make us feel like poop, both physically and mentally.

Read lots, post lots, and I wish you all the best in reaching your goals!

Comment

New and lost

Thank you...
        I actually think my being here is a good start

Comment

New and lost

Yes, Ad. I truly believe this place saved me. Plus, you meet SO many wonderful people here. Also, go to Just Starting Out, Newbies nest. Great for new people.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

New and lost

Hi Admom and Welcome!
            You are in a great place and we're glad you're here. Keep reading and posting a lot so that we can get to know you. We're here to offer our support and encouragement. I used to drink about 12 beers everynight. My last beer was 98 days ago, largely because of the support and help I've received here. Stick close and let us help you.
            Take care,
            K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

New and lost

:hallo: Welcome, Admom

I don't have much to add to what the others have said - they've done a pretty good job already!

You'll find all the resources and support here to ensure that you'll be able to come up with a plan that will work for you. Have a look at the Toolbox Thread in Monthly Abstinence - absolutely fantastic stuff.
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

New and lost

Will do...
                I just gotta do this
                (again)

Comment

New and lost

Read, read, read, Ad. You'll realize you are not alone.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X