Voices in my head, what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would appreciate some advise from those of you with experience overcoming the voices in your head while not drinking.

I made it to 70 days AF and then decided to try a few drinks. I made this decision because I went on a weekend holiday to a fantastic beach house where I didn't drink, and came away feeling the weekend was a waste of time, it felt emotionally flat, and boring. From this I decided just to have a few drinks would surely take the edge off my spinning mind and let me relax.

I tried 1/2 bottle of sparkling, and after about an hour felt dizzy, dehydrated, tired, and overall not good. Having a few drinks stopped the voices in my head for a day but it wasn't a good experience over all. Now I find the voices are with me again..." Have a drink, you will enjoy it, its not that bad, you had lots of fun before, you need it to relax, its OK to have just a few, the last wine was probably off,....etc etc" On, and on the voices go.

The voices won't stop and yet having a few drinks was a bad experience. Any suggestions on how to stop the voices as this does not feel normal. Does AL have a substance that turns on a switch in your body so that for the rest of your life you crave it?

I would appreciate any advice
    Thank you
    Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Hi hazeleyes,

I'm just a stupid newbie with little advice to offer. Here to support you though. Others will be along shortly to offer more help.

Hugs,
    Pie

Comment

Hazel, that's a dilemma. But you know quelling the voices with AL will lead to regrets later. Are you taking meds, have you seen a doctor? This is worrying to me. I want you to be OK. There are so many things that can cause this, but I can't dianose what's going on with you. I'll PM you, OK? Let's take this a step at a time, OK? But stay here, don't drink, and we'll work through this. I need to understand more about what's going on, honey. And if it gets worse, overwhelming, don't be embarrassed to ask for help. There are a lot of options for you, but I need to talk to you for more information.
      Please, take this seriously, and get medical help if you can. Each of us is important, and I DO understand your pain right now. AL messes with our minds,but it can be overcome. And this is the place to find help.
      Again, call for medical help if this continues Please contact me, OK?
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

The voices will always be there for me Hazel. They don't go away. But I've learned to turn the volume level down. They used to rant and rave at me too. It's known as your ego. The only thing that worked for me was treatment and fellowship meetings. When I tried stopping and not addressing the underlying issues the voices just got louder and louder. Hence I started drinking again and was a chronic relapser. Why don't you at least try a meeting just to associate with other alcoholics who'll know EXACTLY what the voices sound like. You have to be willing to go to ANY lengths if you really want sobriety. If things aren't working for you at the moment then you need to change your recovery plan.

Many Blessings
        Phil
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hiya Hazel!

Firstly, don't panic. The mental chatter to 'go on have one, it'll be ok you can control it' is classic al talking to us. We all get it, and the good news is, that it will go away, or diminish greatly, at least for me. It's chemically related, and it comes from our body/brain chemistry thinking it needs akcohol to function, or to survive. So, it can be understood, but sure is a pain in the a@#$$%!
          I'm not a doctor or an expert on this Hazel, but from what i understand, and this makes sense to me, our brain chemistry, and neuron pathway's (?) take a long time to heal/repair itself, and basically relearn how to operate again without being drenched and flooded with alcohol. Then of course, there is our mental habit's and routines we have been so used to, that we need to break, and create new healthy routines and lifestyles. We need excellent nutrition and brain food to help heal our bodies, and we need healthy habit's and routines, and positive environment's/people/situations to surround us. All this stuff is very important in the first few months of being alcohol free.
          We soon learn if we can moderate or not. Took me a few goes before the evidence was irrefutable, obvious, and staring me in the face. For me, the af life is amazing, indescribable, unbelievable, real, magic everywhere, and it get's better and better. For me, i had to hang in there, and get a few months under my belt before i could see.

Go for it Hazel, and don't forget yer 'Toolbox'.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

And Hazel, we've spoken before. You're not alone, nor are you the first. But WE can overcome this, to bring you out of your personal pit of despair. SO many have done it, but like Hip said, we have to really want it, and to be our real selves agin. Get in touch, OK?? :hug:
            sigpic
            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hello Guitarista and Hippie

Thank you, really I mean it...thank you. I need to know I am not abnormal or crazy and to get advice from people who have been there is so valuable to me. I will take both your comments to heart and I thank you again. It definately helps (tears in my eyes as I type this)

Ruby I sent you a message - thanks heaps
              Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Hazel, i am also battling the chocolate soy ice-cream voices too!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

You'll be ok if you just don't answer them ! Ha! ( Works for me ! Ha!) IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

I really like Mr G dogs post before, that is absolutely true. Hazel, your not going crazy it feels very real. I for one have the exact same voices/ problem daily. Keep posting, keep talking

Indiv

Comment

Thanks Indiv - great to see another Kiwi. Guitarista's words really hit home to me. I feel better after reading his post. I've taken my L-Glutamine and been for a walk around the park. Going to start again with renewed hope I can beat this and find excitement AF again.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Comment

Hi Hazeleyes,
                        Seems you have been having the same issues as me! Everyone has already given great advice.. my "voices" telling me to drink, have now gone away.. it will pass. I now feel stronger than ever knowing I did not give in to the voices in my head saying it was ok to have a drink.. remember why you are here.. I remembered why I am here, and what I have nearly lost as a result of AL - and the fact I want to be a better person and know I am so much happier without AL in my system, which can lead to depression.. you can ignore those voices, preoccupy yourself and treat yourself to something nice, like new clothes.. or a nice meal.. AL makes us waste money on something that will poison us.. so look after youself today and know you are way more worthy than AL!
                        Katie xxx
                        "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Hazele eyes.....My wife has hazel eyes...Hang in their ! When we come off of Alcohol all kinds of weird thngs happen. We have strange dreams, we hear things sometimes that are'nt their.....Get through it....take the Herbals that MWO suggest......They have helped me. Good luck Hazeleyes....
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD - I have had some very strange dreams, such as feeling drunk, or being in a bar and refusing to drink at all, and have even woken up thinking I can taste vodka in my mouth whereas I haven't touched vodka in months.. it's funny how our brains adjust, as i was so used to binging on a weekly basis...
                            "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Thanks IAD, I really enjoy your comments, and its great to get advice from men. I find men give no nonsense, just get on with it type of advice. No big emotional drama...which is great for me.
                              I also love the way you make us laugh...
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X